Start by marking “M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work” as Want to Read:
M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work

M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  51,626 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Presenting the structurally unthinkable as though it were a law of nature M.C. Escher was born in 1898 in Leeuwarden (Netherlands). He received his first drawing lessons during secondary school from F.W. van der Haagen, who also taught him the block printing, thus fostering Escher s innate graphic talents. From 1912 to 1922 he studied at the School of Architecture and Orna ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Taschen (first published 1956)

Petra Eggs
Escher is enlightening, mind-bending and if the essence (not the stories) of the sci-fi genre of other worlds could be painted instead of written, it would look like this.
Bill
Oct 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-and-design
Like most high school and college students, I went through an Escher phase. Without the aid of psychotropic substances or any sort of interest in vaguely mathematical patterns, mind you, so it didn't last long, but still, it happened, and this was the book I bought as it was going on. And, you know, it's a reprinting of various Escher pieces. At the time, I'd have probably rated it 5 stars, but now, it gets an "I'm no longer quite so impressed, but still appreciate the artistry involved" 3 star ...more
Milica Chotra
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"(T)here came a moment when it seemed as though scales fell from my eyes. I discovered that technical mastery was no longer my sole aim, for I became gripped by another desire, the existence of which I had never suspected. Ideas came into my mind quite unrelated to graphic art, notions which so fascinated me that I longed to communicate them to other people. This could not be achieved through words, for these thoughts were not literary ones, but mental images of a kind that can only be made comp ...more
Joey
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book contains art along with comments from the artist explaining what he was trying to accomplish and where he felt he did well and not so well. His words add a lot to the appreciation of the well known images. It's a fun book that would be great to get again to study and try recreating.
Giuliana keimich
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ilustration
Amazing combination of draw, math, shadow and creativity.
Paola Ghisalberti
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
love travelling thru his art! magical!
Susan
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love that small children are drawn to this!
Oana Sipos
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uncommon
This guy was a genious and every sketch is a challenge for your mind. Recommended to #analyse.
Kayleigh
Rosie
Cade
Kathy
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
All the illustrations were from Escher's "impossible" drawings. He fascinates a viewer with his imagination and perspective
Nakia
Heather
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
M.C. Escher's art has always fascinated me and this is a great collection of some of his most famous prints.
Elizabeth Sims
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This book spoke to me so hard in college back in the 70s. But I gave it away after a while. Saw the Escher touring show last year(?) I think and bought a new copy! I still love MCE's combining of the hallucinogenic and the precise.
Howard Gordon
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dutch artist M. C. Escher crafted dense, complicated structures at once beautiful and playful, exploring the limits of perception and the relationships between figures and space, mostly with woodcuts and lithographs.

This book consists of key works from these investigations, animals changing species and crawling off page, mazes and reflections that would have fascinated Borges.
João Pedro
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: não-ficção
Portuguese / English

Genial. Esta palavra é usada muitas vezes sem razão de ser, mas neste caso aplica-se perfeitamente.
Escher foi um artista que misturava arte com matemática e os resultados são espantosos.
Se fosse só pelas gravuras, já teria ficado satisfeito. No entanto, a descrição que o artista faz de cada litografia, xilografia e outras é como se nos revelasse um código secreto. Ao invés de diminuir o efeito mágico dos desenhos, torna-os ainda mais espantosos (se tal é possível).
A filoso
Vov
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I'll start off by saying that I'm a sucker for Escher's art. He was a brilliant artist.

This is a very short book (a few hours worth of content, if you like to take your time and carefully examine each piece), showcasing some of Escher's famous works. Explanations in Escher's own words to each of his works is a nice and welcome touch, as well as the division of art by subject (Mirror Images, Inversion, Relativities etc). However, I did find the explanations segment placement a poor choice - it co
Nikolas Kalar
It's hard to talk about Escher's work intelligently because it has so thoroughly entered modern culture, without succumbing to the occasionally offensive repurposing of the works of Warhol, Kahlo, etc. It quite wonderfully fits into the 'What is there to be said that hasn't already' category. I got this after seeing an Escher retrospective at the Portland Art Museum, and this is a solid volume that is a great introduction to his work. It wonderfully captures Escher's mix of the artistic and the ...more
Ruby Black
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, design, mc-escher
No one depicts the impossible, improbable, and infinitesimal the way M.C. Escher does. He is work is essential to explore our minds and the universe. It is rare to find an artist try to capture the essence of philosophical, scientific, and fantastical thoughts in every piece.

Each line, each element, each color, has a purpose to the whole. His works blows my mind no matter how many times I spend staring at them; superbly the most brilliant artists.

Definitely start off with this book, whether yo
Goodreads Librari...: cover available for M.C.Escher 5 23 Nov 30, 2016 02:42AM
graphic designing 2 8 Dec 15, 2014 02:28AM
drawing by: Brooke M: drawing 9 9 Apr 18, 2013 01:57PM
  • The Magic Mirror of M.C. Escher
  • Dali: The Paintings
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Concerning the Spiritual in Art
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • ARh+
  • Mondrian (Basic Art)
  • Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
  • Hopper
  • Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali, and the Artists of Optical Illusion
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Edvard Munch: 1863-1944 (Basic Art)
  • Sacred Mirrors: The Visionary Art of Alex Grey
  • Good Faeries/Bad Faeries
  • Seven Days in the Art World
  • The Letters of Vincent van Gogh
  • Vincent Van Gogh, 1853-1890: Vision and Reality
  • Rene Magritte, 1898-1967: Thought Rendered Visible
Maurits Cornelis Escher, usually referred to as M.C. Escher, was a Dutch graphic artist. He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture and tessellations.

Maurits Cornelis, or "Mauk" as he came to be nicknamed, was was the youngest son of civil engineer George Arnold Escher and hi
More about M.C. Escher...
“«It is impossible for the inhabitants of different worlds to walk or sit or stand on the same floor, because they have differing conceptions of what is horizontal and what is vertical. Yet they may well share the use of the same staircase. On the top staircase illustrated here, two people are moving side by side and in the same direction, and yet one of them is going downstairs and the other upstairs. Contact between them is out of the question because they live in different worlds and therefore can have no knowledge of each other's existence.»” 3 likes