Start by marking “Granite” as Want to Read:
Granite

Granite

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Susan Butcher was a four-time champion of the Iditarod Trail sled dog race. Granite was her greatest lead dog, but he didn’t start that way. He was a shy, scraggly pup that the others pushed around, but Susan saw his potential. Together they worked until he became leader of the team.
While they were training for the Iditarod, Granite became deathly ill. The veterinarians sa
Published June 29th 2007 by Trail Breaker Kennel

To ask other readers questions about Granite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granite

nowbringsjoy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I buy children's books as souvenirs when I travel. I met Susan Butcher's husband in Alaska. He signed the book for me. I used it to teach my students the character traits of empathy, courage, endurance, compassion, and kindness...an absolutely beautiful story about a woman and her sled dog Granite. Susan's was another life lost to cancer. Her legacy is living on in some Canadian kids.
Mark Baker
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, 2016
This picture book introduces us to Granite, one of the dogs used by Iditarod Trail racer Susan Butcher in her races in the 1980’s. Granite was the runt of his litter, and but Susan felt a bond to him. Will that bond be enough to win races? What else might the pair endure on their quest to win?

This is a heartwarming picture book for dog lovers of all ages. It captures the love between Susan and Granite perfect with pictures and words. It’s hard not to smile as you read and be concerned for the pa
Jessbop
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great children's story about the Iditarod and one strong puppy that worked hard and was cherished by musher Susan Butcher. Granite was a smart dog who overcame some health challenges (surprising to all, except Susan B.) to go on and win the Iditarod as the lead dog many times (three times in a row even). Granite is the mascot of the Susan Butcher Family Center at Providence Hospital where they help support families dealing with cancer treatment of a family member through education and mental h ...more
Amanda
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book was truly amazing. The overall story was inspiring to the audience to never give up hope and to keep pushing through with your dreams no matter the opinions of others. I love having this book in my library because my students can read a story with a great message about never giving up.
Joan Parker
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
One of Sarah Palin's favorite children's books, so I was interested in reading. Fun, true story, but even more interesting to google the author, who has since passed away, and read about her life in more detail.
Cheyanne Benson
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has good illustrations and is a good story. When I recieved this book, it was my first introduction to the iditarod. I enjoyed reading this book about Susans lead dog Granite and the adventures they had together.
Lesli
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simplified story of an incredible Iditarod team. I have read a lot of children's picture books...a variety ranging from beautifully illustrated, but overly commercial to this book: simply illustrated and packed with love and passion.
Dolly
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
The illustrations in this book are not my favorite, but I really liked the story. The determination, persistance and hard work of both Susan and Granite really show how initial judgments can be completely wrong. It's a dramatic and interesting story and I love that it's true.
Lindsey
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5. My parents went to Alaska and brought this back for me. I love animals and it's on my bucket list to go on a dog sled ride, so this was a fun read for me.
Hollee Young
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good book for read aloud!
Cole Finnian
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cole enjoys this book from Nana, and asks questions about the dogs and the race. I don't think he quite gets the whole thing yet, though.
Gingerstreak (Abigail)
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It was a great book! Easy read. It was even more Interesting, because it was written by a lady I did a report on!
Amy
Inspirational story re: never giving up. B. enjoyed it.
Sandra MacDonald
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful written children's book about a runt pup who with love and encouragement was lead dog and won the Iditarod four times.
Becky
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly inspiring story of perseverance, dedication and sheer will. It's worth reading over and over again, to all ages.
David Goldstein
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very touching.
Stephanie Whittit
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great children's book. I liked how it described the life of the author but also the illustrations. The illustrations made the book enjoyable. It was any easy read and kids will love it.
Ashley Zientara
Sue
Oct 21, 2016
Nancye
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another Alaska purchase that I love. Being on the smaller side myself, I love the story about Granite being the runt of the litter and turning into an Iditarod champion. One buddy had heard the story, while the other had not. Both sat still through the whole thing. Which is saying a lot for 2nd graders.
Deep Mody
rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2014