Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods Goddesses” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods  Goddesses

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  537 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Enter the World of Spirits!

The Encyclopedia of Spirits is a comprehensive and entertaining A to Z of spirits from around this world and the next. Within these pages meet love goddesses and disease demons, guardians of children and guardians of cadavers. Discover Celtic goddesses and goddesses of the Kabbalah, female Buddhas, African Powers, Dragon Ladies, White Ladies, Bla
Published January 27th 2009 by HarperOne (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Spirits

Cyne
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I first bought this book while looking for Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia and being unable to find it, I bought the closest thing to it. I'm glad I did, because the two books fill a very different niche.

The first half of the book is dedicated to mostly Wiccan things, so folklorists be warned. Ironically, I don't feel that the actual encyclopedia part of the book really supports the Wiccan part because summoning information and the like is only included with major god
Angela Coulter
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this resource! It has never let me down when I'm looking for information on any historical/mythological entity.

I now have this book in both the physical form and on my Nook because I find it so valuable.
Yvonne
This book is a wealth of obscure information that is both intriguing and enlightening. It's a substantial about of information and Judika Illes definitely put in a lot of time and research into this encyclopedia. I've never regretted this purchase.
Oliver Golubev
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is over 1,000 pages of detailed information, it is not an easy read and is a little overwhelming, but it is well worth its money. An easy 5 stars.
Valentina
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for anyone who wants to know EVERYTHING about spirits! Very enjoyable and well put together easy-to-refer-to guide. It cuts down on hunting down several books to look up something on a particular folklore about a spirit or ghost, also, hands-down, explains once and for all what the difference between a "spirit" and a "ghost" really is! For years I've argued this with other spiritualists, now this author articulates it in a way that is truly user friendly presentable where no one ...more
Ce
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Bought this as a writing reference. Some good information, plenty of obscure otherworldy entities, but the organization was very poor.
The entities themselves are all organized alphabetically, which just does not work for such a huge compilation from around the world.
Organization would have been better if one could look up entities by world location and then alpha, so one could for instance, choose to write a story based in China or Australia, and find just those things.
The Forward is geared tow
Cayley
This is a book that can best be described as hit or miss. While there is a lot of information, there is also a good amount of misinformation (see the entry for Lilith). There are also entries that you would think would fit into this work, but just aren't there (such as Ra). It also treads on the line of cultural appropriation as Illes isn't clear enough about which entities are from closed cultures, and which are from open cultures. It is by no means an essential purpose, but it may give people ...more
Alice Wulf
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
SAVE YOURSELVES.

The majority of the information in this book can be found elsewhere. It is not worth reading, if only for the horrible organization and unnecessary crap (there's an actual thing about how to summon Hades).

If you want to search for Roman Gods or Goddesses, first of all, the whole alphabet is lumped together, which...WHY? But also, the author is incredibly inconsistent in her labeling. Some Gods are considered to have "Origin: Rome" and some have "Origin: Roman" which pisses me off
R.i.p.
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to R.i.p. by: phxrip@gmail.com
These books have never let me down. The encyclopedia of 5000 spells is also an excellent resource and is written by the same author. I also highly recommend buying that book too. What I like about these volumes is the historical research that goes into them. The Encyclopedia of Spirits is a very well written, in depth resource, based on the history and lore of these entities. The part about Bloody Mary will scare the crap out of you though...just sayin'.
Lori Schiele
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Over 1000 entries from Aatxe (the guardian spirit of the Pyrenees) to The Zorya (three Slavic goddess sisters of the Sun). Well put together and easily read--definitely worth reading if you have interest in many different pantheons--some forgotten, others still venerated in the present day.It took me months to read through every entry, but was definitely worth the time.
Amanda Hains
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and use it as a reference quite often. It is a fantastically well-researched volume with information about any and all notable supernatural beings. Nearly every culture on the planet is represented in this book, and it helped to jump-start a lot of my research. Absolutely wonderful.
Amelia Deluna
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great collection of supernatural information. Not completely inclusive but that almost impossible with this subject. There are a couple of weird posts like Elvis but all in all a pretty good book to keep around especially if your a paranormal writer or anybody that has interest in fantasy or folklore.
Samantha
Really useful for looking some up, and getting a bit of history. With all the fantasy, fiction and fairy tales I read it has really helped add depth to some of the books. Although its a shame some of the references don't have much too them.
Amy Pfleegor
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a novice regarding almost everything contained in this book, I very much appreciated the organized and concise overviews. A great place to begin learning and a lovely reference.
Mary Luong
Jun 01, 2016 is currently reading it
I'm in the N's! I haven't had the time to finish it, and I'm on 'Njord.'
Sylvie
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THE reference book that I consult over, and over, and over again. It's fascinating. It's easy to find information. Love it.
Michelle
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book that everyone should have in their library if they are interested in the subject.
Astri
A nice collection with references to entities not ususally found in similar books. Worth checking out.
Deira
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lots of information about diverse cultures, all in one place
Claudia Loureiro
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful referencve book by Judika Illes :)
Nadine
Jan 22, 2017 added it
Useful guide for religious spiritual a characters. I borrowed it from the library three times and I want to buy it adding it permanently to my personal library.
Mikki McCoy
Brittany
Jan 19, 2017
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • Element Encyclopedia Of Secret Signs And Symbols The Ultimate A Z Guide From Alchemy To The Zodiac
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Element Encyclopedia of the Psychic World
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • How to Meet and Work with Spirit Guides
Born in New York City, my metaphysical career began early: My first encounter with tarot cards at age six was also my first experience of love at first sight! That passion still burns true. Although I do practice other forms of divination, tarot remains the foundation of my practice.

A lifelong pursuit of metaphysical wisdom followed and continues: astrology, mythology, Kabbalah, the Egyptian myst
More about Judika Illes...