Start by marking “I Know a Place” as Want to Read:
I Know a Place

I Know a Place

A picture book about the little things that make a home.
Hardcover
Published 1992

To ask other readers questions about I Know a Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Know a Place

Start your review of I Know a Place
Hilary
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for a good bedtime read.
A day in a child's life, getting up and dressed, off to school and then home for a family meal. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is gentle and reassuring. A lovely bedtime story.

Read on openlibrary.
Rachel Doran
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a great book. The illustrations are just amazing, you get the story being told as well as another one in the illustrations. This story is about Home. Everything from being woken up in the morning, to the warm fire that warms your feet. It is about home. I think children would really enjoy this book because they are able to relate it to their own homes. It is a book that just makes you feel good. I would say this book is about a second grade reading level, but I would use this book ...more
Abby Brithinee
This book evokes a warm, comfortable, dream-like feeling of home. It also represents a parent's unrealistic version of a perfect day. Bed made, clothes picked up and put away, the child gets a gold star on schoolwork, does homework without complaint, and sets the table. Umm...is it just me, or is this unrealistic. I was a pretty good kid, but I was definitely not this good! This book feels more like an adult's reminiscence of childhood than a child's experience of it.

Every picture is in colored
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook, fiction
A nice little story, but the pictures seem a little dated with their faded colours. I'm also not sure how well the story has aged as well, as it's very traditional and now we have like to show books with respect for a wide variety of family arrangements. I also dislike that while it's very subtle, the dad is stereotypical and goes to work while Mom stays home with the kids.
Matthew
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strong scaffold. Good book if you are after something that could inspire some writing. The idea is that each page begins with the phrase "I know a place". Then it goes on to describe some aspect of home for the narrator. Some of the observations are obvious, others grasping at some subtlety, but the result is a very impressive poem about what makes home home. Good book.
Angie
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe it's because the book is dated but I found it quite dull. Kid didn't seem too into it either.
Sherry
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet children's book. This one is so warm and tender - it feels like a hug. Good for reading to early school age children. Do yourself a favor and get it for your children.
Allison
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a book that is meant to describe the wonders of home, but it is clearly written by adults.
Taylor Rice