Start by marking “Maelstrom” as Want to Read:

Maelstrom

A shot is fired into the still night air and a young woman dies on Suicide Ridge. A dangerous game has begun. Over the course of one blistering, hot week, winds of change sweep through an isolated valley in small town America.

Sheriff Bert Calder, with the help of Mayor Amos Thatcher, has held the town of Haddon under his thumb for twenty-five years. As things spin out of
Published November 2nd 2015 by Huckleberry Haven Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Maelstrom, please sign up.
Francis Guenette My mother spent much of her growing up years in the arid desert areas of the Canadian Okanagan Valley. I think that informed her setting. To this day,…moreMy mother spent much of her growing up years in the arid desert areas of the Canadian Okanagan Valley. I think that informed her setting. To this day, I am unsure where her characters or ideas came from. Perhaps, as her daughter, it isn't in me to plumb that area of inquiry too deeply. My mom was a teacher before she married and had kids. I think, in terms of our collaboration, I brought the psychological depth to the characters my mom created. (less)

Start your review of Maelstrom
Cathy Ryan
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Sheriff Bert Calder comes to tell Amos Tanner, the Mayor of Haddon, that Gracie Davison is dead, Amos’ wife Laura is eavesdropping on the conversation. She is sure her husband and the Sheriff have something to do with it. Laura knew Gracie from before she came to live in Haddon and is almost certain now who is responsible for all the bad things that happen in town. Her stepson Casey is running wild and Laura promises herself she’ll leave and take Casey with her. Casey experiences visions an ...more
N.A. Granger
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maelstrom: turbulence, tumult, turmoil, chaos, confusion, upheaval. A perfect title for this book, which is based on a concept from her mother, but given form and substance by the author. Ms. Guenette’s mother worked on Maelstrom off and on for most of her life, leaving a two thousand page manuscript when she died. When Ms. Guenette found it, she was determined to get it published, making it hers in the process of winnowing, rewriting, expanding characters and giving it life and shape.
Peter
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Francis Guenette is a superb author and with the help of her late mother has produced an epic story in Maelstrom.

The story about how Maelstrom was written is a story in itself which the author tells us about at the end of the book. Briefly, Ms. Guenette’s mother had worked on Maelstrom for most of her life. When she passed away she left a 2,000 page manuscript and notes that mysteriously vanished. Many years later they were discovered, even though the first thirty pages were missing. Ms. Guenett
Colleen M. Chesebro
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, thriller
“Maelstrom,” is a novel rich with multidimensional characters who grapple with the turbulence of power, evil, and control in the small town of Haddon, somewhere in North American. Fear controls everyone in this novel to some degree with a darkness that I found intriguing. This is one of those novels that sucks you into the whirlwind of events from page one onward! I literally could not put this book down. The characters got into my head!

Sheriff Bert Calder is the consummate study of evil and the
Mari
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy psychological stories of suspense and resolution but don't mind some vioence
Recommended to Mari by: I've read this author's other books
Maestrom review

As a fan of Francis Guenette’s Crater Lake series, I was interested to read this new book, a collaboration and edition of her late mother’s manuscript Maelstrom. Before purchase, I already knew from Guenette that it would be a very different novel, and of course wondered in what areas.

The story, which has been outlined by other reviewers, takes place not on the Canadian West Coast but in some arid, desert-like part of the USA. I was never sure where, but thought maybe New Mexico?
Billy Buttons
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: Maelstrom
Style: 8/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 3/10
Of the 16 readers:
15 would read another book by this author.
1 thought the cover was good or excellent.
9 liked the title and thought it fitted the book.
6 thought the pacing of the story was the best part.
8 felt the writing style was the best part of the book; in particular, the
Karen
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces you to a variety of complex characters: some rather harmless, some greedy and dangerous and some downright evil.

With Maelstrom, Francis Guenette has created a thrilling suspense story with local flair. The story comprises a broad variety of believable and pretty complex characters, isolated locations, masterly woven situations and interesting interactions. I had a thrilling time reading Maelstrom - it is a very intriguing read. I was drawn into the story right away, thankful
Tt
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
S grdhdt

Mtg bggcc Gibb Nguyen. Munch cm n Buchan. Bnvbc. Bnchcbm v Hugh jgnhv knob :) h :) :) ::) ttc. Bach
Beverly Sutton-Brown
Emma
Test116
Sandra Crow
Aug 15, 2016
Hi – my name is Fran Guenette and I’m a writer! You can check out my author's facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/pages/franci...

I live in a small, off-the-grid cabin in a remote location, right beside a lake. My husband, Bruce and our elderly dog, Lawson keep me company.

Can you imagine a better setting for a writer? I can’t.

We have an alternate power system for our home –a combinatio

News & Interviews