Start by marking “Ancient-Future Worship” as Want to Read:
Ancient-Future Worship

Ancient-Future Worship

With the many models of worship available, choosing a style to worship God can be a bit overwhelming. Is it better to go with traditional or contemporary models? Christians may find themselves asking how early believers worshiped and whether they can provide insight into how we should praise God today.
Rooted in historical models and patristic church studies, Ancient-Future
Published April 1st 2008 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Ancient-Future Worship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient-Future Worship

Nicole
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3 and a half, didn't finish the book entirely, skipped around a bit here and there depending on the section. But overall, I like what I had read. Though there were some parts that I still need to flesh out.
Daniel Markin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Webber is a gem. His chapter on the Eucharist is worth the price of the book.
Martijn Vsho
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-shelf
This book brings readers back to the early church's definition of worship: worship does God's story; it remembers what he has done in the past and anticipates what he will do in the future.
I love this definition of worship. It really expands the way I perceive worship and my life. My life can join God in his story, whether that is through work, school, ministry, relationships, or music.
However, I gave this book 3 stars because I disagreed with a lot of his arguments and conclusions. Nonetheles
Rosemary
May 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
For traditions (like the Anglican) that never lost the ancient traditions, this book does not have much to offer. It critiques both shallow contemporary worship and tired, stagnant worship. Let's hope we can all work to invigorate worship as, in the author's words, "doing God's story."
David
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid book. not perfect, but lots of good wisdom for church leaders and it points out much of the empty worship we see in the western church today.
Andrew Fox
I would take our congregation on a journey to rediscover the narrative of God not just through the incarnation, life, ministry, death, resurrection, ascension and coming again of Jesus, but through the greater narrative that threads its way throughout scripture to include all creation. This is the context of our worship where the incomprehensible and invisible Father is communicated through the comprehensible and visible world. As Webber clearly states, this centers around the Word and Table tha ...more
Michael Romans
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful primer

Weber does a wonderful job of starting the reader on a journey to recapturing their place in the story of God. Worship is not about singing or preaching or even the table. Rather worship is about God. Our singing, proclaiming and Eucharist all remember what God has done, point to what God is doing in the world, and to what God will do ultimately when His kingdom is fully consummated.

If you want a look into what it might be like to come back to a worship that isn't about "me"
Ryan Dufoe
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a Christian raised in the west who has committed to minister and lead worship at his local church, this book really stretched, inspired, and challenged me. It deals with the overarching story of God through history and calls in to reflection every aspect of our Worship services today. Webber's book helps you see worship in the Church within the historical practice as well as today's, and I'm forever grateful for the journey.
Cameron Combs
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This book was incredibly pithy and insightful. It is rare to come upon a book that contains such serious and deep theology but is expressed in practical and plain language. Webber’s book is a treasure. I plan on handing out copies to any who will read.
Nicholas Varady-szabo
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
An interesting discussion on what is true christian worship, and what evangelicals can learn from the ancient church fathers, and the Eastern church.
Josh Welker
I had mixed feelings on this one. Overall, a good book that does a great job of describing the narrative of Christian history. It also gives a very good account of Christus Victor atonement. Webber's thesis is that something has been lost by Western churches after the ancient era.

On the other hand, I found Webber to be somewhat condescending and parochial. According to Webber, the Eastern Orthodox churches are the only ones that "get it right," and he is very dismissive of modern western churche
Jacob Aitken

This is the first Webber book I have read. I was originally uncomfortable with his ideas (about five years ago) but having recently been dismayed with all modernist Christianities (be they liberal, Evangelical, or some Reformed), and given a recent interest in Patristic thought, I decided to give this book a chance.

Webber defines "ancient-future" worship as "publically enacting God's narrative." The worshipping church tells God's narrative, which Webber carefully defines, following the Eastern t
Kelsey
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book provides a solid framework for how worship "does God's story." As someone who works at a church and whose responsibility it is to plan worship services, I had to overcome a tendency toward defensiveness with Webber's overall opinion of the contemporary church. I did, however, appreciate his focus on the church as a whole, and also on the world in a culture that has given too much attention to the individual, individual experiences, and consumerism. I felt that Webber had a bias toward ...more
Nate
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-life
Webber's the person any young or old evangelical needs to read who is interested in a Christianity that is rooted in the early church's faith and practice, but also ready for the challenges of our present time. Before you convert to Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Anglicanism, or Confessional Lutheranism, read his Ancient-Future series.

Ancient-Future Worship emphasizes God's story as the basis for worship. It's about us connecting to the narrative of what God is doing in the world through word, song, eu
Paul Mullen
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Robert Webber makes a great point: Worship is about God, not about the worshippers. His writing about how differing traditions have placed emphasis in different aspects of this. The book is exhaustive and complete. That is its problem. Webber makes his point and then remakes it and then remakes it and then remakes it.

I am very sympathetic to his argument, if only he'd just make it an move on.
Chuck Barber
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Webber addresses problems in current worship (both contemporary and liturgical) and examines ancient (4th century and before) worship practices in consideration of what has been lost. A very insightful and useful book.
Suzannah Waddington
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting read...sometimes broad generalizations are made, so keep the broader picture/context in mind.
Jt
Feb 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: worship
Anything by Webber is great.
Nathan Lindstrom
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book really takes you back to when the church was formed. There are many good themes that could be brought back to our congregations today that would spark Christ like behavior.
Heather
Luis Rodriguez
Jan 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Liturgical Theology: The Church as Worshiping Community
  • Christ, Baptism and the Lord's Supper: Recovering the Sacraments for Evangelical Worship
  • Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace
  • Union with Christ: Reframing Theology and Ministry for the Church
  • The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix
  • The Meal Jesus Gave Us: Understanding Holy Communion
  • The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives
  • Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault to Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Rhythms of Grace: How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel
“Because God is the subject who acts upon me in worship, my participation is not reduced to verbal responses or to singing, but it is living in the pattern of the one who is revealed in worship.” 2 likes
“Beneath the privatization of worship is the ever-present individualism of our culture.” 1 likes