Start by marking “The Pilgrimage” as Want to Read:
The Pilgrimage

The Pilgrimage

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  46,422 ratings  ·  1,981 reviews
The Pilgrimage paved the way to Paulo Coehlo's international bestselling novel The Alchemist. In many ways, these two volumes are companions—to truly comprehend one, you must read the other.

Step inside this captivating account of Paulo Coehlo's pilgrimage along the road to Santiago. This fascinating parable explores the need to find one's own path. In the end, we discover
Published September 2nd 2008 by HarperOne (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Pilgrimage, please sign up.
Dovofthegalilee This is a weak story to be kind. Suffered through it, I've seen deeper plots on Cartoon Network.

·  46,422 ratings  ·  1,981 reviews

Start your review of The Pilgrimage
Ahmad Sharabiani
O Diário de um Mago = Diary of a Mage = The Pilgrimage, Paulo Coelho
The Pilgrimage is a 1987 novel by Brazilian novelist Paulo Coelho. It is a recollection of Paulo's experiences as he made his way across northern Spain on a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. The novel serves as part adventure story, part guide to self-discovery. The story begins in 1986 when Coelho undertakes his initiation into the order Regnus Agnus Mundi (RAM), which he subsequently fails. He is then told that he must
Ian Galloway
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy every book by Paulo Cuelho that I've read (12 to date) and this one, his first, has touched me in tha same way the Alchemist did. Perhaps it's the common theme of searching for a way a path a meaning and the fact that I can empathise strongly with the sentiment, having walked that exact road to Santiago. The mysticism in some of the events of the journey, with hindsight, are a bit too far of a step for me personally but the whole journey of the pilgimage to Santiago and the learning and ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
O Diário de um Mago = Diary of a Mage = The Pilgrimage, Paulo Coelho
Jan 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: philosophy majors
I really hated this book. In fact, it is the second worst book I've ever read (first being the Voyage of Somebody the Sailor). The story made no sense, and key parts of it were left unexplained (what is RAM? what is The Tradition?). I suppose you might get some philosophical value from it, but I didn't really think any of it was earth-shattering or even worth a raised eyebrow. The only redeeming quality was that it was short and went quickly.
Riley
Mar 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008
This is the 4th Paulo Coelho book I've read, and my least favorite so far. Not that there's anything wrong with it, per se, but I can definitely see his evolution as a writer from this (his first) to The Witch of Portobello (his most recent and one of my faves).

For me, this book was slower, less relatable (if only because very few people are on this kind of a mystical quest) and just less smoothly written overall. I also had a hard time sympathizing with the protagonist.

Now, that's not to say
Marianne
The Pilgrimage is the first book by Brazilian author, Paulo Coelho, and translated into English by Alan Clarke. As a devotee of the Tradition, at 38 years old, Paulo makes the mistake, at the ceremony of his ordination as a Master of the Order of RAM, of assuming he is worthy of the sword, and then learns that he will have to travel the Road to Santiago de Castelin (aka the Jacobean route, the Milky Way) in Spain, to find it.

This book is his account of that pilgrimage, undertaken in 1986 with a
Sylvia
It's difficult to write a review of this one. It completely depends if you feel attracted to the book and the story.
It gives the reader an awful lot to think about. This is not a book you can fully understand after one time reading.
There are a lot of uncommon 'events' in it. Liking, or loving it depends highly - I think - if you have a religious background.
There are quite a number of excises in the book you can practice. I certainly are going to work with several of them.

One quote from the
Patrick
Mar 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers who can't handle Casteneda
This was a truly dreadful, embarrassing book. I wish I could give it negative stars. To say it was self-indulgent navel-gazing is too good. As I got into it, I became furtive when reading on the train, for fear someone who knew the book would see me and conclude I was a moron, or hopelessly seeking life's meaning in all the wrong places.
Drew
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A dazzing tale of the road traveled by ordinary people.” Coelho's book traverses the story and journey of a man (himself) learning to be extraordinary through the paradoxical beauty of simply understanding what is ordinary.

What struck me as I gobbled up this book in a mere afternoon was the easygoing cadence and accessibility of language that Coelho employs throughout his book; he doesn't try to dazzle you with vernacular or prose, it's simply inherent in the story itself. And to me, that's
Nabil
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s my first English novel and I’ve truly enjoyed it. A book which, even it’s not the best of Paulo Coelho, you can not stop reading when you start it thanks to his nice and sweet style.

First of all, let’s consider how we would categorize The Pilgrimage. It’s a journey of a piligrime and It’s also a personnel developpement book which you need it along your life. Paulo Coelho takes the road of Santiago de Compostela in order to find his sword, looking for his secret therefore he takes the true
Maria Gad
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Everything is contained in sounds - The past, the present and the future. The person who doesn't know how to listen will never hear the advice that life offers us all the time. And only the person who listens to the sounds of the moment is able to make the right decisions"

So, I have finished this novel or let's say autobiography in 12 days, but I couldn't digest the whole story!! So I asked for help from my old friend "Google" and he was of a great help as usual.
As far as I understand, Paulo
Noor Azzony
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a magnificent read!
the Strange Road to San Tiago and everything that happens on it, is nothing but a mirror of each and everyone's life journey! the book is a reminder that life is brilliant and that we are capable of so much more than we beleive we are... it is the limiting beleifs that we have that stop us from becomimg who we are supposed to be..
definitely worth reading!
Marziye Foroughi
We get to follow the author on his pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, on his search for a sword and insight. This book shifts between being tedious, unbeliavable and deeply inspirational. It is easy to see how this journey lay the ground for works like "Veronica decides to die", "Zahir" and "the Alchemist".
K.D. Absolutely
Mar 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipino Group - Book for March 2010
Shelves: travel
The reason for the 1-star rating is the timing. It sucks. Had I read this prior to Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons this could have earned another star. Had I read this right after reading a book on Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, there could have been another star. Had I read this when I was in my teens or 20's, there could have been another one.

The mention of Knights of Templar, ancestral rites done in midnight with those chantings, search for a sword, etc. just did not hit
miaaa
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to miaaa by: aldo zirsov
Shelves: fictions-others
What are you expecting other than a spiritual journey from this book? Well it is his journey across Spain's Road in order to find himself. Something that I've heard and seen in a movie [Darjeling Limited:] but I supposed I haven't had the chance to conduct it. Or I might have lacked a courage to begin it!

Of all the exercises he introduces, the Speed Exercise dumbfounded me. The minute I read the exercise, it reminds me to the regular road I have anytime I go and back from work. There's one old
Muath Aziz
Arthur
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Well, the 2 week journey made on foot by Paulo Coelho ended for me this evening. To tell you the truth, after reading this book, I'd like to experience it myself...But enough about me, let's get straight to the reviewing process.
This book is the authors first one. In it, he writes about his pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. Despite the fact that the journey was filled with many unpleasant things ( injuries, exhaustion , bad weather conditions and so on...), in the end it turned out to be a
Friar Stabin John Capuchin
I finished another Paulo Coelho book. I like the writings of Paulo because of the life in it. The Christian imageries he uses whole along his novel makes it more lively. I also was travelling all along with him to this pilgrimage to San Tiago. I too was fighting with the legion when he fought with it. He found his sword now it is my duty to find mine to find the purpose of it. Sometimes this type of novels gives us a power to fight a good fight. The we are living this earth demands a lot but in ...more
Julia
Ok, I had promised myself, not to read any more books by Paolo Coelho, but I've become a victim of first my curiosity to read one of the most well-known books about the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela which I've done myself just three months ago and secondly of clever book marketing: The volume I own is beautifully bound in blue with pigeons, shells and the cathedral of Santiago, all in all very hippyish and thus kind of irresistible to me.

So far, I enjoy Coelho's strange voyage much more
Darnia
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Demi apa gw nemu buku ini cuma ceban doang???!!

***
Ok, here's my problem with Coelho's writing: It was hard for me to decided whether the story fiction or not. Same as Mitch Albom's books, but put some religion thingy into Coelho's. This is my third book, I've read The Alchemist and Warrior of the Light (this is one of my fave book) and I think this book is the combination of two books I mentioned above. It was about a journey (the alchemist checked), to be specific: a religion journey (the
Ahmed R. Rashwan
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A contemporary quest for ancient wisdom you say? Another Paulo Coelho book? Well 22 year-old me says "count me in! I'd love to scoop me up some of that wisdom baby, yes!"

So, the Pilgrimage can easily be one of my top 3 books for Paulo. Yes, yes, we have had this discussion before, you abhor the writer. I do too. It's all in the past, focus with me.

As is always the case with Paulo, you get what you expect, mysticism. The promise of the other world of goodness and spirituality. It's a drug that
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. it was like the key to my lost soul.
alot said that the alchemist is better than this one, but for me i found it more interesting and reliable.
most of all i like the ways he took to reach peace in the end. i think everyone can benefit from it and reach the point when love is everything we search for.
Tobin Thomas
Pilgrimage offers a bunch of inspiring quotes but drags big-time as it progresses. The novel structure doesn't really work for this one and its more like a travelogue.
Dele Haynes
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the account of Paulo Coelho's spiritual journey along the Camino Santiago de Compostela, known in English as the Way of Saint James. It is a network of pilgrims' ways serving pilgrimage to the shrine of the apostle Saint James the Great in the cathedral in Santiago Spain. Paulo is on this pilgrimage to gain insight and acceptance into the spiritual path he has chosen. He must do this to gain insight into the simplicity of life. The journey transforms him as he learns to understand the ...more
Sam
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, finally, finished. I loathed this book.

I think if they'd kept to the original title (Diary of a Mage), it may have elicited different expectations from me. Alas, this book isn't about the Pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago as much as this man's perceived mysticism. It's absolutely not my cup of tea, was less believable than other books I've read this year, and far less uplifting.

Am on my phone, so unable to properly format spoilers, so read no further if you wish to avoid spoilers.

My
Hanna Rehnstrom
Jul 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t understand this book whatsoever, and as I’ve just walked this pilgrimage route (Camino de Santiago), I feel like that’s saying something. I began reading the book before I left for Spain, didn’t get all the way through, but picked it up again when I returned. I figured it might speak to me differently now, after all I’ve seen and experienced, both around me and within. It did not. It’s full of incomprehensible, unexplained supernatural happenings that frankly just leave me feeling lost ...more
Lucija
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, blame me for thinking this book will be about a pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago.
The whole concept of The Order of the RAM felt weird to me and I couldn’t wait to finish the book and be over with it. Also, the practices of the Tradition seemed a bit useless as they were only providing Coelho momentary peace. If it wasn’t peace it was a frustration at not seeing a meaning in what was asked of him to do.
The character of Petrus was at least more interesting than Coelho since he wasn’t
Srividya
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was not as engaging and insightful as the Alchemist. The book gave a feeling that there is a veiled meaning i will get to understand at some point .But couldn't stick to it and skipped a lot of lines.
Denisa Ciubotaru
The thing that will stay with me forever will be Petrus's prayer from the "Personal Vices" chapter. Coelho proves once again his awesomeness.
RJ from the LBC
Although described occasionally as a novel, The Pilgrimage is said to be an account of author Coelho's journey and spiritual awakening along the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain which led to him writing the best-seller The Alchemist. Coelho claims Christianity as his faith, although the narrative reveals a hearty portion of New Age mysticism as well. In fact, the audience most likely to be interested in this book will probably be those who enjoy books like The Celestine Prophecy, as opposed ...more

• Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim
  • Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life - The Authorized Biography
  • Aleph
  • Vienuolis, kuris pardavė "Ferrarį"
  • Cañitas
  • O Código Da Vinci - Edição Especial Ilustrada
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino de Santiago: What you need to know beforehand, what you need to take, and what you can leave at home
  • The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • El caballero de la armadura oxidada
  • Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino
  • The Little Prince
  • ADULTERIO (DB)
  • Ρομάντσο και άλλα Πεζά
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow ...more
“We must never stop dreaming. Dreams provide nourishment for the soul, just as a meal does for the body.” 351 likes
“We always have a tendency to see those things that do not exist and to be blind to the great lessons that are right there before our eyes.” 180 likes