Start by marking “That's What Friends Are For” as Want to Read:
That's What Friends Are For

That's What Friends Are For

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Best friends tell each other everything… right?
Sam and Louise have been best friends since they hung their coats side by side on the first day of primary school. Now in their thirties, they’re just as close, but life is a little bit more complicated…

Published December 11th 2015 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about That's What Friends Are For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's What Friends Are For

Sue
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for a copy of THAT’S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR by Marcie Steele/Mel Sherrett, in return for a fair and honest review.

I loved this book…so different from my normal mystery thrillers. Now writing as Marcie Steele, this talented author has branched from crime thrillers to women’s fiction, and she does this with little effort. Her writing is fabulous. Another writer that can write under any genre. I love the dark side but I must admit this was a refreshing change
Christine
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to Net Galley, Bookouture, and Marcie Steele/Mel Sherratt for an ARC of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

I just love this author! Whatever mood I am in, Mel Sherratt, AKA Marcie Steele, has a book for me. As Mel Sherratt, this talented British author writes thrillers as well as gritty crime fiction. As Marcie Steele she writes women’s fiction with depth; of note, this is not fluffy chick lit, which I am not terribly keen about. I also must credit Ms. Sherratt from pulling
Elaine
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first thing to mention about this book is the cover which is very light and fluffy and a little misleading. Whilst this book is a very easy read there is a lot more depth to it than the average chick lit.

It is the story of a friendship. Louise and Sam have been best friends all their lives. They tell each other everything and are always there for each other, each supporting the other whenever they have problems. Or are they? We soon find out that they are each keeping things from the other a
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I simply adored this book! What an absolutely delightful novel that exceeded all my expectations and left me wanting more.

Now and then I delve into a decent chick-lit book and this is certainly one of the better ones I have read over the years, it kept me engaged and enthralled from the first word to the very last and everything in-between. I read this over a few hours and lost all track of time.

The plot is great, the writing is very good and the characters were flawed enough for me to relate to
Winter Sophia Rose
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt, Engaging, Realistic & Sweet! A Great Read! I Loved It!
Claire
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Right from the off, I took to Sam, Louise and Nicki. I loved the relationship between the three girls and the camaraderie they have with the rest of market. It felt like a big family and I’d like to think that it’s like that in my local market! But the trio each have their own stories and all (in the main) relate to their love lives. No matter how tight these girls are, each romantic status is very different and nothing is ever easy when it comes to love.

I felt huge sympathy for Charley. Teenage
Kerry
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, what a fabulous book! If you like a love story which is not too mushy, you will love this. It’s full of likeable characters and some you will no doubt be able to relate to.

I make no secret of the fact that I am a massive Mel Sherratt fan. Her Allie Shenton series, The Estate Series and her stand alone novel, Watching Over You, are all excellent, so imagine my excitement when Mel told me she also writes chick lit under a pen-name! Stirred With Love was a fabulous story and That’s What Frie
Steffi
Copy recieved via Bookouture on netgalley

I had a kind of like/dislike relationship with this book.

I did like the general storyline but there were still some things that bothered me while reading. Unfortunately I couldn't connect with most of the characters and at the beginning I had some difficulties with all the names and realtionships. The character I disliked the most was Louise though. Her constant childish behaviour and always putting herself in the centre of everything annoyed me a lot.
I
Escape into a Booksite
*3 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This one wasn't too bad. It took me a little while to get into, but once I did, I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen with each of the characters.

Told from multiple perspectives, this is the story of a group of friends, and all the secrets and lies that are hanging around their little group.

There's a lot of lessons in this one about what people are like, why they do things, how you need to be ther
Michelle Ryles
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
Marcie Steele, aka Mel Sherratt, has done it again! With such a colourful cast of characters, I jumped into the pages of this fantastic book and didn't want to leave it. Along with the lovely characters, there's also a bitch and a man-tart to make this book so much more than chick-lit.

Louise and Sam are brilliant characters, working on Sam's bustling fruit and veg market stall. They have known each other forever and are best friends who tell each other everything...well almost everything. Louise
Best Crime Books & More
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
For those that maybe don’t know Marcie Steele is actually a pseudonym for the Crime Writer Mel Sherratt. Her first book under this name was released only 3 months ago and I really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how quickly book 2 has materialised but was looking forward to getting stuck in. Thankfully this new release was just as good as the last one (if not marginally better).

Sam is an easy character to like, along with her best friend Louise. There is also Louise daughter Charley who most defi
Noelle
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well love is in the air at Crimebookjunkie (my blog) with the latest from Marcie Steele (aka Mel Sherratt). I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The author has done it again with this book, tugged at my heart strings; chipped away at the ice that has formed and even caused me to get a wee bit choked up at times…though that may have been my cold…I am not ruling anything out!

This is the second Marcie Steele book I have read and loved! How can I describe it…well, you
Shell Baker
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Mel Sherratt writing has alter ego Marcie Steele and definitely won't be my last. I am a big fan of Mel Sherratt crime books and the estate series. But I have to say this book is such a refreshing change I absolutely loved it.

I love the author's style of writing I found this an easy and gripping read. I was hooked from the start and read this in one sitting. I simply couldn't put it down. The characters are very real and likeable in which you can relate to. What I loved
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book!!
Review posted on bibliophilebookclub.wordpress.com

My thanks to Bookouture, Netgalley and the lovely Marcie Steele for my copy of her new book.
For any of you that don't know, Marcie Steele is the alter ego of superb crime thriller author, Mel Sherratt.

That's What Friends Are For is the second Marcie Steele book I've read. The first, Stirred With Love, was brilliant. Such a step away from my usual crime reads, and really well written (I gave it 5⭐ and read it in a da
Karen Mace
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley
I received a copy of this via NetGalley and Bookouture in return for a fair and honest review.

Always a fan of Marcie Steele/Mel Sherratt offerings and this is another successful venture into the Chick-Lit world!

It's the story of Sam and Louise, best friends from school days and how their friendship has seen them through good times and bad over the years. It's not a light and frothy chick lit read, but the subjects discussed and the way the friendship unfolds is fascinating and endearing througho
Jackie Roche
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest and open review.
This book was a complete contrast to my usual diet of murder and mayhem and I must admit I loved it.
I read "Stirred with Love" a few months ago and enjoyed it, so when "That's What Friends Are For" became available on NetGalley I immediately requested it.
Marcie Steele/Mel Comley is such a talented writer. There can't be many writers who can write in two such differ
Book-shelf Shelf
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book about friends, family, trust and Love. Sam and Louise have been friends since school and not everything is perfect in their lives, but they are there for each other and share every thing... or do they? Things start to go wrong in both their lives and it affects every one that is around them.

A story which although it started slow, soon had me gripped to every page and although you can try and second guess whats going to happen,probability is, you'd be wrong. The story has twists a
Annette
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book,the story was endearing and I liked most of the characters. Some friendships don't stand the test of time but not Sam and Louise although they had their ups and downs in the end they were there for each other when it mattered. Thank you for the ARC
Els
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. The only thing missing for me was an epilogue. I wanted to know what happened next with some of the, for me, unfinished storylines. And because an epilogue is not possible anymore, I wil setle for a sequel, please? ;)
Marcie Steele, you have found yourself another fan.
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The thing I love about Marcie Steele's (Mel Sherratt) books are that they are not your typical chick lit novels. Even though there's some romance in there, her novels are not all fairy tale style stories, they very much resemble what goes on in the real world.

I have to say there are quite a lot of characters that feature throughout this book and to start with I did struggle slightly as there was so much going on and I felt a little lost as the story flicks between them. Once I got used to all of
Sandra
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having read and enjoyed Stirred With Love I was thrilled to get an advance copy of this from Netgalley and Bookouture (thanks!). This is quite different from Marcie's other book in that the characters have all known each other for years. We meet them at a tricky point in their lives, Sam's marriage is not as it seems, Louise is out every weekend trying to distract herself from the fact that she is not happy being single and her relationship with her teenage daughter is not as good as it used to ...more
Vicki - I Love Reading
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture and Marcie Steele for the review e copy of this book. It was an absolute pleasure to read it.

This is the second Marcie Steele book I have read recently, Marcie for those that don't know is non other that the wonderful Mel Sherratt. When I read the first book by Marcie I wasn't sure what to expect with such a change in direction. However after reading the first book, I couldn't wait to start this one.
Another brilliant easy to follow read.
Likeable and realisti
Lynda
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first Marcie Steele book that I have read and I really enjoyed it. It is a book about friendships, love, lies and betrayal and it most definitely NOT fluffy chick lit. The story starts quite slowly but rapidly picks up and develops a quite complex set of stories which inter-weave with a complexity that is both interesting and engaging. The twists in the story as the secrets are revealed mark this out as a read that has more depth than much of the women’s romantic fiction out there. H ...more
Teresa
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read by Marcie Steele courtesy of Netgalley and loved it, and yes this one made me cry too!! I loved all the characters and felt quite sorry for some of them too, the story was a rollercoaster of emotions for quite a few of the characters, but was a welcome break for me from my usual genre of thrillers. It was a lovely feel good read and I was hooked right from the start. Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the auto approval and to Marcie Steele for another great ...more
Denise
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
What a wonderful book! This is the second book I've read by Marcie Steele and once again I loved it.
The story is so engaging it has everything. I started it intending to read a few chapters and finished in the early hours. I could not put it down, I was lost within the pages and into the lives of all the characters.
That's What Friends Are For is an emotionally charged story and very realistic, I loved every page. Highly recommended.
Leona
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Marcie Steele has yet again written another fantastic chick lit book. This book contained everything this type of book should have ; romance, tears, laughter, mystery. It was absolutely wonderful. An easy read but one that kept you interested the whole way through. Highly recommend this book.
Can't wait to read the next book 'Broken heels'.

Many thanks to bookouture via netgalley for an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.
Mo
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this easy read book . The second of my Marcie Steele chick-lits .
Louise and Sam have been best friends for as long as they can remember but although adulthood has taken them down different paths in their personal life their friendship has remained throughout .
This story, for me ,shows how we never really know what's going on in other people's lives and that we should never judge a book by its cover .
Thankyou to netgalley and the publisher for my arc
Tara  Niland
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Thank you to Net Galley for giving me an Arc of this book for an honest review .....
An enjoyable read about two best friends Sam & Louise who tell each other everything since their childhood days, or do they!! Some secrets that are buried eventually surface to the top at some stage and then the fun starts.. A little bit too predictable for me but still a nice read X
Alexina Golding
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Alexina by: netgalley review
Loved the friendship between all the different characters, even though they weren't smooth running. When is life? The setting of the story in the market place was a great idea.

Through the characters you find love, laughter, struggles and the secrets...

Good easy read, but with more plot than a mere chick lit book.
A Reader's Heaven

On the outside, thirty-something Sam seems to have it all; the gorgeous husband, the beautiful home and the flourishing business. But things are not quite as rosy as they seem. So when handsome stranger, Dan,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Place For Us Part 2
  • S is for Stranger
  • Pleasure Island
  • Love, Lies and Lemon Cake
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • Bad Bridesmaid
  • The Stepmother
  • After the Lie
  • Only the Brave (DS Allie Shenton #3)
  • I am Ella. Buy Me
  • A Letter to My Cat: Notes to Our Best Friends
  • Time to Die (Detective Jennifer Knight, #2)
  • The Secret by the Lake
  • A Sister's Promise
Hi, I'm Marcie Steele and I can be found hanging around any good coffee shop, drinking copious amounts of coffee and nibbling on double chocolate muffins. Whilst doing this I'll be discreetly people watching or not so discreetly enjoying good gossip with my friends.
More about Marcie Steele

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things