Start by marking “Race the Night” as Want to Read:
Race the Night

Race the Night

"Without you, there'd be no hope for the world. Because you are the whole world."

That's what Teacher says, and twelve-year-old Eider knows she's right. The world ended long ago, and the desert ranch is the only thing left. Still, Eider's thoughts keep wandering Beyond the fence. Beyond the pleated earth and scraggly brush and tedious daily lessons. Eider can't help wishing
Paperback
Published November 8th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Race the Night, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eli
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shannon Fay Yes. This book and Watch the Sky are NOT part of a series. This book is it's own contained thing, and if you only read this one, or only read Watch…moreYes. This book and Watch the Sky are NOT part of a series. This book is it's own contained thing, and if you only read this one, or only read Watch the Sky, you will not be confused or missing anything. (That said, I do believe this book and Watch the Sky are related in some fashion, like they're companion novels, or they're set in the same world or something. I could be wrong though. But either way, even if they are related, they don't share any characters or plot points, so you don't need to know anything in one book to read the other)(less)

Kate
Watch the Sky was great, but I adore Race the Night.
Shannon Fay
I'm definitely not the target audience for this book. I still love middle grade novels, but unfortunately, due to the fact that I'm a certified adult (chronologically anyway), I just can't read them without holding them to the same standards as the rest of my rewarding (which, really, aren't unreasonably high, what since 90% of what I read is YA...)

Point is though, while I enjoyed the premise of this book and liked the unique way it was written, I simply found it lacking in a lot of places (wher
Heather Brown
Eider lives on a desert compound with the rest of the people still alive at the end of the world: Teacher, Nurse, Handyman, and Eider's friends and classmates, Avis, Finch, Linnet, and Jay. They have tinned meals, daily lessons from the encyclopedia and physical activity. Everything that is left, and everything important. But Eider dreams of more...mermaids from the books she keeps hidden, houses and families from the scraps of paper secretly collected from Beyond the fence, and most importantly ...more
Jeff Raymond
(This review covers both books in the series so far)

A couple of books that provide a bit of a galactic mystery while also giving some insight into cults and the like in an appropriate way for the intended audience, the best I can say about this is that the books, while telling two slightly related stories, are really best read near each other. The way one informs the other and vice-versa is an excellent play and fills in the gaps rather nicely, all things considered. Watch the Sky in particular
Laura Gardner
Loved it! Love the connection to Watch the Sky
Holly
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well-written book about the supposed-survivors of the "end of the world". I loved Eider and her pluckiness, and her courage to stand up for what she believed in.
Jean Haberman
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-6-8
12-year-old Eider and a few other kids believe that the world has ended. They are kept safe in a desert camp by Teacher, Nurse, and Handyman. Eider believes that something exists in the Beyond. She remembers a sister named Robin, but is told that Robin was a figment of her imagination. Eider finds proof of life beyond the walls and makes an adventurous escape with the help of the other kids.

It was a fast, exciting read. I would have given it 5 stars except for the ending, which was abrupt and u
The Belle
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eider lives in a state of total, yet quiet confusion. Ever since the rattlesnake bite things haven't been the same. And even before then, things were never quite normal -- even if it is all that she's ever known.

She's noticed things; little things that have compounded into the total methodology of control over her days and her nights. Each moment of her waking hours are set to a softly-put but exact structure : Free Play. Circle Time. Lunch Break. Extrasensory Lessons, where she attempts to tap
Daniel
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0 of 5

A small assortment of youngsters are alone in the desert with only 'Teacher' and 'Nurse' as guides and over-seers. Teacher instructs the children from old World Encyclopedia's and tells them that 'they are the world.' The implication is clear that civilization as we know it has been destroyed.

But the students start to question Teacher and her methods when she has them work and practice mind-reading/ESP. The young girl, Ei
Rachel
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to read an ARC copy of this book for my Enrichment Reading class.

Eider and four others are special. After the end of the world they were chosen to lead the world and the Other People into a new era. Teacher tells them that there is nothing else out there, that they are the lone survivors. Teacher begins lessons teaching them to control objects with their minds and read each others’ thoughts. Eider begins to doubt what she is learning in the desert camp and doubts everything th
Ann Marie
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was not aware this was a 'sequel' as I do not read sequels - never heard of the first part 'watch the sky' - but now that I have read the second I must find the first - yet I am not all that certain I will read the third if and when it appears...I enjoyed the read very much and did not find many things about it I could complain about however I was slightly removed from the story when one child called another a jerk - where they would have heard such a term I could not say - then I had to get b ...more
Courtney C
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eider is a young girl who lives on a mysterious desert ranch in the middle of the empty word with five other children. Teacher and Nurse, the only adults on the ranch are suspicious. Eider gets a brief glimpse of the world she's hidden from, and now she to choose between her world, with the safe haven of Teacher and Nurse, or the world she's just beginning to explore. Along with the other kids, she digs to figure out what Teacher and Nurse are hiding from them. The children are forbidden to ente ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2017-reviews
Eider, Finch, Linnet, Jay, and Avis live in a desolate desert ranch with Teacher and Nurse. The kids have been told the world ended and they are all that is left, saved because they are special. Teacher is grooming them to lead a new world. The kids have been with Teacher since they were very little, which is why they don’t ask some obvious questions. Like, if they are all that is left, who will they lead?

Eider is a wonderful hero. She never gives up; fighting her antagonist with determination a
Devin
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This was kind of a slow-paced book but I still liked it and couldn't put it down only because I wanted to know what happened at the end. Eider and four other kids are living in the middle of the desert with only "Teacher" and "Nurse" for guardians. They are taught out of World Book encyclopedias (with some pages missing) and are told never to leave the confines of the barbed wire fence because while the world has ended, there are still evil people. Each child keeps their doubts of this truth to ...more
Lily
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book in couple of hours. I love the writing and the mysteries surrounding Eider's life. Kirsten Hubbard's Watch the sky was intriguing enough to make me want to read Race the Night, but the latter surpassed my expectations! Hubbard keeps you guessing to the last pages. As a reader you kind of know where the story might be headed, but to see it unravel in front of your eyes adds to the intrigue.

I highly recommend reading Watch the Sky before this one, as it will heighten the sense
Nadine
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Madeline Myers
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nicole
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eider lives in a place where they tell her that the world has ended. Her only family is her friends on the desert ranch that she lives on, and her make-believe little sister, Robin. Eider has lived her whole life on the ranch, but when one thing leads to another, secrets are revealed and the kids formulate a plan to find a way out of the ranch and into the open. This book was great, but a little sad. I would recommend it to anybody who likes fiction.
Two BookWorms Blog
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The world has ended. All that exists is the desert ranch where Eider lives with four other children, Teacher, and Nurse. Once upon a time, Other People existed. Once upon a time, the sea was clean and pure. Once upon a time, Eider had an imaginary sister named Robin.

For the full review: https://twobookwormsblog.wordpress.co...
Lisle Library Youth Services
Sort of dystopian, sort of 'doomsday planners' take on the end of the world as we know it. There's intrigue in the mystery of the story and a lot of questions throughout, but the ending really satisfies the uneasiness you might feel as you read through the book. This is a companion book to Hubbard's earlier book, Watch the Sky. - Lexy
Sumayyah
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
B
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read, I kept wondering how this was going to play out. Was it going to be like "The Giver" or "Beneath" by Roland Smith. There is a first book, but you can read this one without missing anything. Good for 5th grade and up, not sure if a 4th grader would get the idea of end of the world, no one left. hmm..
Jessica F
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Hmm. Not quite sure what to make of it. This book started off as an alleged post-apocalyptic dystopia, but evolved into a mysterious intrigue. The ending was a bit too fortuitous, but I should have expected that from a Disney Hyperion juvenile novel. I just really wanted there to be super powers... *sigh*

Anyways, 3/5 stars.
Jennifer Muehlebach
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. It had potential but it was basically a rip off of "The Giver". I also think a lot was left unanswered but not it a "I'm going to decide for myself" kind of way. I wouldn't recommend this book to any junior high kids.
Benjamin Bookman
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked everything about this book except the last 20 pages. The desert ranch and its inhabitants were compelling, the "why" was interesting, and the plot choices of the characters were believable within the context of the world set. But the ending was terrible.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Race the Night by Kirsten Hubbard is a companion piece to Watch the Sky. What order they are read in doesn't matter as the stories take place nearly simultaneously — just from different points of view and different locations.

Danielle Clark
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not bad.. A sort of anti-dystopian? It is about a crazy woman who adopts some children in the hopes that they will "follow" her and her ideas as the end of the world is coming? Not sure entirely what her hopes were.
Aprilj328
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Dystopian for the middle grade set. Eider lives with Teacher, Nurse, and several other kids on a ranch in the desert. The world has ended and they are the only ones left -or are they? What do you do when the people you trust have lied to you? MG Dystopian, Family
Vicki
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It really pulls you in and makes you think about a lot of things happening in the story. You may think one thing but it really is another. This is a great book!
Dru
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-adventure
A cool story about a group of kids at the end of the world. Being raised by the Teacher to be the leaders of the world. Or, so they've been told.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• I Heart Band (I Heart Band #1)
  • Family Game Night and Other Catastrophes
  • Tortilla Sun
  • Moon Pie
  • 13
  • Lifeboat 12
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • The Scavengers
  • True Colors
In search of transcendent backdrops for her novels, Kirsten Hubbard has hiked ancient ruins in Cambodia, dived with wild dolphins in Belize (one totally looked her in the eye), slept in a Slovenian jail cell, and navigated numerous desert apocalypses (usually in face paint and combat boots). But she always comes home to California.

Kirsten is the author of the young adult novels LIKE MANDARIN and W