Start by marking “Beyond Monogamy: Polyamory and the Future of Polyqueer Sexualities” as Want to Read:
Beyond Monogamy: Polyamory and the Future of Polyqueer Sexualities

Beyond Monogamy: Polyamory and the Future of Polyqueer Sexualities

A man and woman are in an open relationship. They have agreed that having sexual partners outside of their relationship is permissible. One night, when her partner is in another city, the woman has sex with the man's best friend. What does this mean for their relationship? More importantly, why is there such a strong cultural taboo against this kind of triangulation and wh ...more
Published August 16th 2016 by New York University Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Monogamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Monogamy

A.M. Leibowitz
This is possibly one of the worst books I've ever read. I had high hopes, given the title and the description, but it failed to deliver on every front.

It's fairly dense and academic, which makes it inaccessible to any lay person who might benefit from learning about how they might view their own relationships. However, that's not my biggest problem. I'm familiar with academia, so it wasn't an obstacle. It's the actual content.

This book is one very long erasure of bisexuality. For someone claimin
Ari
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
A book that looks so promising to give a critical intersectional analysis of polyamory, open relationships, and monogamy that is desperately needed, yet falls flat on its face... then digs itself a hole.

See A.M.s review for a well-written explanation of why you probably shouldn't bother.

I'm also upset that this is the book so many non-ployam people will pick up and decide it's what all polyam relations are like when it's only one small faucet.

Upon finishing the book the main overpowering though
Javier
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Honestly super interesting, perhaps not what I was looking for. The books is quite academic. I felt that some of the ideas presented were fascinating but I felt like they were not fully developed. I also didn't exactly know how each part was related and how they all came together at the end. I enjoyed reading the book but was a little confused as I feel like it didn't really head in any specific direction.

The proposal for polyqueer identities was, however, quite intriguing and I hope more is pub
Holly
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Rethinking the possibilities for hegemonic femininity: Exploring a Gramscian framework

Carrie Paechter for what’s next after Schippers. More inclusive. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science...
Gabrielle
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
This is not a light read, but it is worth it to read. I really enjoyed this book, but I already knew it was more academic so I was able to anticipate the jargon and knew I'd need more time to process it.

Beyond Monogamy explores the dynamics of Woman/Man/Man polyamorous relationships and how those relationships intersect with race, class, and gender. She does acknowledge that the scope of this book is limited because she only talks about WMM arrangements. Schippers uses examples from contemporary
Lisa
Aug 03, 2016 added it
This was not the book that I was expecting. It was informative but not what I was really looking for.
I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Salome
May 30, 2019
Robert
Apr 09, 2017
Strangelingincarnate
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2019