Start by marking “The 13th Juror” as Want to Read:
The 13th Juror

The 13th Juror

(Dismas Hardy #4)

He is obsessed with her innocence. He will be destroyed by her guilt.

The walls were champagne. The house was immaculate. A prosperous doctor lived there with his son and his beautiful wife. But the elegant walls hid a family's secret, a wife's shame. And one day shots rang out in the doctor's house. Suddenly Jennifer Witt was in jail, facing the death penalty.

Jennifer insi
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published May 29th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 20th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The 13th Juror, please sign up.
Deb Jones All the books in the Dismas Hardy series can be read as stand-alones. I've been preferring to go with the first book in a series when I can and follow…moreAll the books in the Dismas Hardy series can be read as stand-alones. I've been preferring to go with the first book in a series when I can and follow the series forward, but The 13th Juror would be a great start if you don't care about the order.(less)

Start your review of The 13th Juror
James Thane
This is the fourth entry in John Lescroart's series featuring attorney Dismas Hardy, and the one in which the series really hits its stride. In the earlier books, Hardy had suffered a devastating family tragedy and had become somewhat unmoored. He'd abandoned his life as a policeman and a lawyer to become a bartender. He ultimately wound up working as a prosecutor in the district attorney's office and as this book opens, he has left that job and gone into private practice as a defense attorney, ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery, fiction, law
The 13th Juror is a very impressive, detailed and powerful legal thriller, with realistic characters and a lot of suspense.
Cathy DuPont
My fourth Dismas Hardy and I really like the character, like him a lot. I like attorneys anyway, so no surprise there. And about one-half the book was a courtroom setting; ditto there, too. No problem.

However, at the beginning in reading the acknowledgements, Lescroart says "My editor (and publisher) Don Fine has done a yeoman's job of nipping, tucking and tightening the sprawling manuscript into its final form..." The word that jumped out at me was "tightening" since previous books, I felt, ne
Deborah
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I can't figure out if she did it, or not! I'll let you know, or maybe not...when it's all finished.

Really enjoyable book that's well written and wonderfully narrated for audio. I like a courtroom-centered drama especially when it involves a young woman whose successful, young doctor husband, and her eight year old son have been murdered! She's the obvious murderer....

Well, it's finished and I could never have guessed "who done it." Lescroart had me all along the way. I do have to say that I once
Marty Fried
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I've now read several of his books recently, and it seems they have a pattern where things progress/regress to a seemingly hopeless situation, then some miracle comes along at the end to solve the problem, often in a pretty surprising way. But perhaps that's common with a lot of mysteries.

This was one of those stories where I began to think she should just be abandoned - she was so self-destructive and uncooperative, even dumb, that at times I thought she didn't deserve so much help. But that wa
Ferne
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best short synopsis I read online: "The pressure is on for Dismas Hardy when an abused woman is accused of killing her husband and child in cold blood. Only Dismas believes she's innocent. However, faith alone won't be enough to save her unless Dismas takes one terrifying risk to keep her alive." - From Powell's City of Books.

The top line across the paperbook said, "The Stunning Bestseller." As one reaches for the title on the shelf, one wonders if it will truly be a "stunning" read as per m
Jb17112
Two hundred pages too long. Did manage to finish it however. There is a 4 star book in here. 200 pages too long.
Michael Adamchuk
Attorney Dismas Hardy takes on the defense of Jennifer Witt, accused of killing her husband and son. She claims she was out running and didn't do it. The prosecutor, a candidate for state attorney general is out for the death penalty. Hardy talks defense strategy with Jennifer and she elects to go with the not guilty one, even though Dismas suggested other possible defenses. When it comes to trial, it's a matter of convincing the 13th juror. A suspenseful read.
Nan Williams
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes suspense.
Shelves: read-more
It was definitely a page turner. Lots of twists and turns, good courtroom scenes.

A book originally published 20 years ago is enlightening in the changes in our society as well as in crime fiction. I appreciated the clean language and the clarity of thought in the narrative. Every time a character would do something like "look for a phone booth," I had to remind myself the book was written in 1994.

The plot could easily have been written today - it was timeless. It was well written, well paced and
Snow
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"The 13th Juror is a stunning and suspenseful novel of moral ambiguity, of good intentions, bad judgements and the tortuous path to ultimate justice."

I absolutely agree with the sentence above, even if it's not mine, I second every word and couldn't have said it better myself.

Absolutely brilliant!!!

6 thriller stars
Beverly
Maybe 3 1/2 stars. This is a classic, straightforward legal mystery with a lot of court room action. Dismas Hardy is a good protag., but his friends and family are slightly cloying, or could become so. The story is about Jennifer Witt, a battered wife accused of killing her abusive husband and her child. But Jennifer insists that she is innocent and won't allow testimony about her battering because it will entail a guilty verdict, although not a stiff penalty. By sticking to her innocence, she r ...more
William
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the finest works of popular fiction I've ever read. People often ask me, are there other writers of legal fiction you enjoy? Well, as a matter of fact, yes, and here it is. Lescroart is always good, but I will probably always think of this as the unforgettable one. If I ever write a legal novel this good, I will be a happy man.
Gloria ~ mzglorybe

"We would give her more consideration, when we judge a woman, if we knew how difficult it is to be a woman."
~P. Geraldy

For those that don't know what the title means, the 13th Juror is The Judge presiding over a trial who can override the jury's decision if warranted. That was the point of the defense in this case, the trial of a woman accused of murdering her husband and child. She has been a battered woman all her life, a complicated and interesting character, at the very least. She
Byron Washington
John Lescroart at his finest. Wha a rollercoaster of emotions!!! And the big reveal at the end...WHAT?!?!? Good stuff!!!
Margaret
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Dismas Hardy series. The book takes you into the inner workings of a murder trial. Dimas parters with David Freeman to defend a young women charged with killing 2 husbands and her young son. Their client doesn't make their job any eaier when she refuses to allow them to use the battered wife syndrome. Their client from the beginning insists she is not guilty as charged. Building the defense is all about putting together the puzzles pieces and when and how to present the case. Very much ...more
Sheila
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends,family & goodreads members
Recommended to Sheila by: myself
Shelves: john-lescroart
This was my first John Lescroart book. Jennifer Witt is charged with murder of her husband Larry and son Matt whereby she is facing death penalty. She has claimed she did not kill them, even though she is battered-woman just like her mother. Lawyer David Freeman and Hardy is trying to prove Jennifer is innocent and there is another killer. There is great narrative, with suspense, politics and court case but 560 pages is a bit too long. I will surely read other books by this author.
George
Apr 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-st, book-club
UNINTERESTING.

"Her eyes were malachite set into the alabaster of her skin."—page 147

I'm glad to be finished with THE 13th JUROR, by John Lescroat: a novel that is way too long and less than engaging.

Recommendation: Not worth your time.

"...the populace was beginning to understand that there was no such thing as a nonviolent crime in San Francisco anymore"—page 187

Adobe Digital Edition (ePub), 465 pages
Gmak
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, the surprise ending made it worth getting there. Did Jennifer, a battered wife, kill her husband and son or not... This was good enough that I picked up three more John Lescroart books at the library book sale for a dollar each.
Jane Brant
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how I've missed this mystery writer...excellent use of trial procedures, along with personal characteristics of spousal abuse, psychology, and police investigations. I will definitely have to read some of his other works.
Gary
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with analysis is that when it works, the thrill comes from the reader, not the read. Try Freytag's pyramids, lots of them, like a child's blocks, and you can stay up with the plot so much easier, but you can't be as swept up in the plot as you were before.
Joe
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thrillers
Another good installment from a promising series, a little drawn out and not as quick moving plot as the previous book in ther series. 3 Stars for me.
Mark
Dis Hardy becomes tied to a capital case of an upscale abused wife and the murder of her husband & child...great mystery and trial procedural...loved it! ...more
Greg
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this one twice, about 8 years apart, and I guessed wrong again. Very good both times, my favorite John Lescroart. Fascinating characters.
Connie
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was pretty good. The story kept me interested but it did tend to drag a bit to me.
Chris Callahan
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series, the characters are sharp and pleasantly flawed, the plots grab my interest and the writing flows smoothly. This 1994 book is as good a legal drama as I’ve read in awhile, the plot twists around, but all of the clues to the eventual outcome are in the story if one is astute enough to put them together. I thought a little more editing would have made this even better, but it’s a minor criticism of a great read.
wally
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lescroart
finished yesterday the 8th of september 2020 good read four stars really liked it kindle owned have enjoyed all of the stories from lescroart i've read. don't know what to think about the finale, story winding down, approaching the end, me wondering well how's this one going to end and it happens quick, not expecting it at all and i'm not sure that it would have happened that way, that...what? easily? like an oops, what did i say? but yeah, was guessing the whole time, be curious to thumb throug ...more
Curlyhair
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Really enjoyed this when I read it.
Joyce
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Good narration but the audio moves so slowly that you begin to question plot twists. If reading print, probably read too quickly and never notice irritations.
Jim
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Book four in Dismas Hardy series from author John Lescroart is another amazing legal thriller set in San Francisco. An oldie but a goodie, written in 1994, Diz once again must again come up with a near miracle if it's even possible to save his client's life. Jennifer Witt the wife of the somewhat wealthy Doctor Larry Witt is charged with killing her husband, and young son Matt. A capital crime with special circumstances. Jennifer's own lawyer David Freeman is a high powered attorney with an impr ...more
Mary
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of this author's books for me and of course it is number 4 in a series. Just the same I enjoyed the book and would like to give it 3.5 stars. I read a lot of this genre and would just say that it did not keep me as entranced as I like. It was sort of slow but then perhaps that's because prepping for defense of a murder suspect must be slow and tedious.

It's a story of Jennifer who is accused of the murder of her second husband and her only child. She also is suspected to have murdered her f

• The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • Prime Witness (Paul Madriani, #2)
  • The Burning Man
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • The Blood Promise (Hugo Marston #3)
  • Ransom
  • The K Team (The K Team #1)
  • The Devil's Code (Kidd & LuEllen, #3)
  • The Omega Command  (Blaine McCracken, #1)
  • Counterplay (Butch Karp, #18)
  • The Sand Pebbles
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Natural Causes
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)

News & Interviews