Start by marking “Victims” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Victims

Dorothy Uhnak

Victims

The author of bestselling novels and the factual Policewoman, Uhnak presents another potentially popular crime story. The narrative, which recalls the case of Kitty Genovese, begins when neighbors do nothing to help Anna Grace as they see her fatally stabbed. Arriving at the murder site in Queens, beautiful, brainy detective Miranda Torres meets journalist Mike Stein, who ...more
Published December 9th 1987 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Victims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Victims

S.A.
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Two stars for the knowledge behind the research but by and large the writing was painful to read. Too much reliance on repetition and jargon spoiled the characters. The way the characters reacted spoiled the characters. Weird.

I know I need to look at this as a book written a few decades ago, but still, do we really need to have the female character described as a sex object time and time again?

Worst of all, the ending seemed to set up a sequel. No thank you!
Nancy Zorn
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Good: To point out the fact this book was written 30+ years ago, feels like I'm making excuses. I think the basic story held up and didn't read like it was stuck in a time warp. I also like that it was written by a policewoman.

The Bad: The author's incomplete sentence writing style annoyed me at the beginning. "Over the sorrow she felt when seeing Captain O'Conner's face." OK. I get it. When taken in context with the surrounding words, I understand what she's getting at....that's just her t
Nick121235
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Dorothy Uhnak's writing style and intend to read more by her, however there were a few weak points to the story.
First of all, the plot starts out so compelling that I really expected more and was therefore disappointed by the way it was quickly wrapped up in the last two chapters. I really felt like there was more to the story than what was revealed because there was so much time and care taken in setting it up.
Also the parts about Miranda's innocence and goodness were fine if
Kathi
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Libby Mcelwaine
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked how this book was realistic. It was different for me. Though many complain about how it repeats itself what do expect.? Real life is repetitive. The end kind of ticks me off,it could have been better. Other then that I like the book.
Arthur
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not terribly interesting. Good writing most of the way through but dull and often it seems witless.
Theresa Kinney
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked the book...unlike other review did see what ending was coming....
Micky Parise
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time reading Dorothy Uhnak and really enjoyed this book. Great storyline, characters and the book just flowed. Recommend.
Marta Sekrecka
May 29, 2010
Aileen
Oct 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Uhnak's first book was autobiographical Policewoman (1964), written and published while she was still a New York Transit Police detective.

Her debut fiction, The Bait (1968), received a 1969 Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for Best First Novel (in a tie with E. Richard Johnson's Silver Street). ,The Bait was also made into a 1973 made-for-television film of the same title. It was f