Start by marking “First Person Shooter” as Want to Read:
First Person Shooter

First Person Shooter

Jayden lives with his father on the edge of a small country town. He stutters and is addicted to video games.
His best friend Shannon knows how to handle a rifle. When her mum is released from prison, the town waits to see whether her sociopathic stepson Pete will exact revenge for the manslaughter of his father.
Caught with ammunition at school and suspended, Jayden's world
Published February 1st 2016 by MidnightSun Publishing

To ask other readers questions about First Person Shooter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Person Shooter

Greg Barron
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of Randolph Stow in my teens, and First Person Shooter reminded me of Stow's ability to bring Australian rural landscapes and its characters to life.

Jayden is a stutterer, and he's in love with his neighbour, Shannon, whose family has been torn apart by violence. Then there's Pete, a walking time-bomb, the Mangy Mongrels, and the quietly dangerous good guys, Uncle Craig and Nigel. The cast is large, but each one was clear in my mind as I read.

I loved the references to pop culture a
Sue
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I wake to the fig tree rattling its fruity thumbs against the gutter outside my window and lie there, thinking good thoughts…” p.3
When I read the opening line of Cameron Raynes’s new YA novel, I knew I was in good hands. I could immediately hear that sound and imagine the tree, and I knew it was an Aussie summer. Raynes’s descriptive language in this book is wonderful. He captures so well the inner voice of his protagonist, Jayden, who is constantly battling with a stutter and the bullies and s
Lynn
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow-what a great book! Thank goodness for reviews on Goodreads which encouraged me both to buy the book for the school library and read it. To be honest, the back cover alone was not really going to tempt me. Set in small town Australia, our narrator is a teen with a stutter who is addicted to video games. As well as him being bullied at school, there is a vicious local psycho to worry about who is trying to kill his best friend's mother, along with his troubled father, dying dog, wounded Vietna ...more
Bridget
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: khs-books
This is an excellent Young Adult novel, perfect for students who like to game, who might be a little isolated. It is thrilling and full of action. Lots of excellent themes in here like bullying, anxiety, family troubles, jealousy, gangs and drugs. It is a lot. I love Scot Gardner's books and this fits with those really well. Nice and real and plenty of tension.
Dasha M
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I often struggle with books told through the POV of an adolescent, but in First Person Shooter it felt authentic and mature. Really touching.
texbsquared
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it

First Person Shooter was a very interesting read. I had initially heard about it in the context of being a young adult novel, and I believe this is how it was marketed as well. That makes sense, given that the protagonist, Jayden, was in his teens, and so were several of the other characters. However, the copy I got from my library had catalogued it as straight-up fiction. I suppose I can see where the lines blur, and how this novel might definitely be seen as Australian literary fiction, but p
J Wrin
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't grow up in Australia but reading this book makes me feel as if I had. Raynes paints small-town Australia with beautiful descriptions and the assiduous use of evocative metaphor. Jayden is teen-age boy afflicted with a stutter, so badly that he only really feels alive and in control when he is playing video games. He is sweet on his neighbour Shannon, at that awkward age where friends hover on the edge of attraction. Shannon's mum is in prison for shooting dead her abusive partner and is ...more
Clare
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Extremely easy to read. The characters were interesting although complexity only residing in key protagonist. Effective description and the morality of the ending both surprised and satisfied.
Zuzu Burford
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book in similar vein to Jasper Jones only more gritty. Complex family situations in a small country town where everyone knows everyone's else's business. Two adolescents form a bond that helps carry them through tough times to maturity.
Jane
Jul 10, 2016 added it
Shelves: australian, library, male
I really enjoyed this, devoured it in two days. Not my usual thing, but well written and includes a heartbreaking pet, which always does it for me. If you like Australian YA, you should definitely give this a go.
Nicola
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book!! I didn't think it would turn out to be all that crash hot, but by the time I'd hit the halfway point I couldn't put it down. Amazing writing, brilliant plot and fantastic characters. Highly recommended!!
Tanya Grech Welden
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Cameron Raynes for your important reminder of what it is that our Australian authors do so well. This gritty piece of Australian Gothic Fiction had me on the very edge of my seat from the moment I turned the first page.

Raynes' depiction of Australian rural life was a triumph, only superseded by his cast of larger than life characters. To be fair, Raynes walks a dangerous line in this novel through his choice of subject matter, in particular, his focus on guns. I can't help but feel a l
Ellen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short read for a slow day – there were no surprises in this small-town story.
Ruth Gilbert
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is brilliant. Great sense of place and character. Beautiful writing. And exciting. I loved it.
J.J.
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good novel that evokes an authentic sense of place with a great narrative voice. I really felt like I knew exactly where and how Jayden lived. It doesn't hurt that I grew up in a very similar small town with very similar characters inhabiting it. The cover blurb is a little misleading in that you would imagine the story is going to be about a drug war and how Jayden saves the day, but this is more of a backdrop. The author doesn't let it get in the way of the real story which is ...more
St Stephen's C C
Jayden lives with his father on the edge of the great Australian ugliness of small towns. He stutters and is addicted to playing video games as a first person shooter. His best friend is Shannon, the girl next door, who knows how to handle a rifle. When Shannon's mother returns home from a six-year prison sentence, the town waits to see whether her sociopathic stepson will exact revenge for the manslaughter of his father. Will it be left to Jayden to stop him?
Suzanne Pearse
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Set in Western Australia with lots of familiar places which will appeal to lots of YA readers in Australia. Also loved the dynamics of the family and the realism of these characters. Great to see writing about real issues and real people with realistic solutions. Maybe be weary of the heavy use of the F word but does fit the context of the story and character.
Lexi // libraryoflexi
2.5 stars - I found it to be quite a boring read. 90% of the book is just building up towards this massive event... Which happens and finishes in 1-2 pages. I skim read probably 70% of the book. Oh well!
Sarah Stahl
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It took a while to get into it. I didn't realise how invested I had become in the book until I was crying at one paticular point. Those that have read the book will know which one I mean.
Jaymie Horak