Start by marking “Gadarene” as Want to Read:
Gadarene

Gadarene

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In the notorious Five Points slum of 1870's Manhattan, Galen 'the Mongoose' Driscol steps out of jail and back into the arms of his lover, Wira Boruta. When Galen tells Wira that he's tracked down the man who tried to kill them as children, Wira is unwilling to listen, and pleads with Galen to forget the past, and live only for the future...their future. Only Galen doesn't ...more
Published January 8th 2008 by Gynocrat Ink/EM-Novels

To ask other readers questions about Gadarene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gadarene

LD  Durham
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to LD by: Elisa
Gadarene is a phenomenal book. It’s rare to find a book in this genre that pulls you into the story. Even more rare in the fact that this is a historical work. Absolutely stunning.

Even more fascinating is that Wira, our transgendered character, is in no way a chick-with-a-dick character. Wira is Wira. There is no other way to put it. Wira’s character is written so well, so perfectly, that even as she is referred to as a girl, as I refer to her as “she”, never did I feel I was reading a hetero st
Alyosha
An Intense, captivating, interesting, romantic, gut-wrenching story in every sense of the word. Characters I will be sure to remember. Definitely a keeper - one that needs to be read alone - at night.
Fangtasia
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Five Points, NYC

A mix of Sweeney Todd and Jack the Ripper, maybe even a bit of Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart. With the surreal environment of an M. Night Shyamalan movie, this story is second to nothing produced by better known, more mainstream authors. Think Dean Koontz and Stephen King. It's that good.

The characters, main and secondary, the plot, the setting, all come together to provide an experience not to be missed by fans of horror. This is made even better by the gritty but po
Snowtulip
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, par-rom
This is such a unique m/m book and I am glad that I was sorting through Aly's shelves for a reading challenge (thanks Aly) or I wouldn't have ever heard of it. The author did a great job with the historical component of it, I felt that I was right there in the dirt and grit of old Manhattan.

So much of the book was spent in trying to figure out the horrors of the past and if the images that Galen and Wira saw were real or figments of the imagination. These horror elements gave the story some inte
Carvedwood
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
This book impressed the hell out of me.

The scariness of the story is the first thing that impressed me. Anderson/Potts tell us what happened, what Wira saw, how she felt about it, what she did about it, but they don't explain why any of it's happening - the unknown is left in the realm of the unknown, and that’s where the scare factor comes in. Is any of this really happening? Is Wira imagining things? Is she psychic or psychotic? Little by little, I learned enough to begin to piece together the
Erastes
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-historical
I had no idea what to expect when I opened this book – I knew a little about the authors, but not a lot, and I didn’t know that either of them were likely to produce anything in this genre. I have to say that it’s not an easy book to find – No mention of it on C B Potts’ website and if you do a Google search for Gadarene C B Potts you get one hit which is my comment on a thread on Mrs Giggles’ blog.

I had an email fromTina Anderson when she discovered I was reading it and she explained that the b
Ryes
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gadarene by Tina Anderson and C.B. Potts met and exceeded my expectations. The story effortlessly merges the genres of horror, paranormal and historical. And at the heart of it, Gadarene is also a romance.

The setting of the story is established early on when Galen is released from jail, and he takes a leisurely walk back to his mother's house. Slum life is painted vividly and it's clear that Galen, and everyone else he knows, does not live a life of luxury. Galen's mother is a prostitute, and
Elisa Rolle
Well never say never. I always said that I would never read an horror and here I'm, just finished one, and I have to say a very good one, and being very happy to have read it (even if happy is not a word that fit with this genre ;-) )

Late nineteen century in Manhattan, Galen is just out of prison. He has spent three years in Ludlow, a boy from Five Points, with no hope for a bright future. Son of a woman who is whoring herself to live, he has neither a place to stay if it weren't for Wira. Wira
Shin
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
A most entertaining original read!

I'll start with the beginning, which would be the cover. Now covers are, for the most part, a source of turn-off on most gay novels for me, but certainly not this one. It's amazing and scary at the same time, a perfect match for this story. Not to mention the children we see on it probably have me scarred. That image followed me all the way through the book, really spooky.

The story itself is rather unconventional, but I think this is where it gets it's appeal. R
Serena Yates
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay
This is a hard book for me to evaluate and rate.

I liked the basic story and the message of having to deal with your past before you can move on. The characters of Galen and Wira were real to me, even though the story is set in the 1870s. There is a lot of back story, which is neatly woven into the telling of what happens once Galen is let out of prison.

But - I found it very hard to deal with the 'horror' elements of it. I think it was more the detailed descriptions that got to me than the idea o
Beth
May 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Compelling characters, especially Wira and her ways of dealing with being a woman in a man's body at the end of the 19th century. Grittily realistic (except for some horror elements) portrayal of the poorer classes in New York City at the time, while still retaining the beauties of physical attractiveness, friendship, and love.
Jessica
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of the dialogue I found to be rather modern fora 1870s setting but by no means is this jarring to the point of enjoying the story or the characters. Unfortunately the story ends just when we're really enjoying the world of our protagonists Wira and Galen.

The romance between the two is strong as is the chemistry. The supernatural element in the end dampens the message of moving on but by no means does this mean the story doesn't end with a solid conclusion.

A fun simple and quick read.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Way, way too dark for lite summer fare. I thought the two MCs were fascinating but damn did they suffer. I could have used a laugh or cuddle in the end but hey, that's just me.
Misty

** 4.5 Stars **

Unexpected, unique, dark, sordid, chilling ...... Galen and Wira's undeniable bond and fierce love shine through this nightmarish story like a beacon!
Amanda
Sep 21, 2009
Em-nat
rated it did not like it
May 14, 2014
  • Helpless
  • Fall of a State
  • Mere Mortals
  • The Dark Farewell
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (Ira Adler #1)
  • Madcap Masquerade
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Sleight of Hand
  • The Forgotten Man
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Duet
  • Lola Dances
  • Liquid Glass
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Checkmate
  • Willing Flesh (Inspector Raft Mystery, #1)
  • The Only Gold
Production assistant Tina Anderson began writing gay comics and women's yaoi, or Boys' Love, in 2005 for publishers Class Comics, Yaoi Press, Sin Factory, DramaQueen, and Iris Print.

Anderson moved on to self-producing her work in 2008, through the publishing circle Gynocrat Ink. While her releases were sporadic, they were critically acclaimed and cemented her as a premiere writer of Global Boys L
More about Tina Anderson...