Start by marking “New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)” as Want to Read:
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)

New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  11,418 Ratings  ·  471 Reviews
It Was Just Luck

Suddenly he is on the front page of every New York newspaper, and his life is hopelessly entwined in the increasingly shocking life
Audio CD
Published by Brilliance Audio Lib Edn (L) (first published November 1st 1991)

Dawn
Jan 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The main character in the book, Stone Barrington, is not your typical New York cop. He went to law school but became interested in police work during his stint in school. As a foodie and oenophile, and with his white collar background, he's also supposed to be somewhat more "cultured" than the average cop, although this doesn't keep him from condoning the use of offensive, negative terms for minorities and lesbians.

Stone is on medical leave recovering from a bullet to the knee when a woman, Sas
Katy
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this Stuart Woods book, we find Stone Barrington in his first outing. He is a Lt. Detective on limited duty due to a bullet he took to his knee and has decided after an evening out to walk home in order to get some exercise to it when, in a case of being in either the right place at the right time, or wrong place at the wrong time, he witnesses a woman falling from a building. It turns out to be a rather famous TV personality who was scheduled to take her place as a co-anchor on a prestigious ...more
Sameera77
Mystery with explicit content and derogatory language.
One could label this book as romantic suspense from a male POV and written by a male author, however its graphic sex scenes have little romance and aren't really necessary in the book plot. The women in this book are shown as sex objects, greedy for power and money, under a strain weak, crying and suicidal. Men fare not better, presented as cock-driven fools, annoying sexists, weirdos or psychos.

Woods gives us a pathetic and pessimistic visi
Debbie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart-woods, library
I have been reading Stuart Woods books for a long time. I especially like the Stone Barrington series but not necessarily in order. I started Son of Stone and didn't like it at all but I had to finish it when I found that in order to make a later book make sense I had to find out what happened to Arrington. What I have had a problem with is the dialogue. I just doesn't set right - not bad enough to make me stop reading but it just doesn't always seem quite right somehow. "Hello, Dino." "Hello, S ...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Loved the start of this series!!! I can't believe I hadn't read Woods sooner! Boy have I been missing out! This story had a lot of suspense! When I thought I had it down on who the killer was and what happened to SN I was wrong!

The book is very fast paced from the very beginning when a news reporter falls to what is thought to be her death. It is soon discovered that she is not dead but alive and still breathing. The ambulance is called and rushes her to the hospital. Along the way to the hospit
Anastasia
New York dead by Stuart Woods is the first Stone Barrington novel. The body of Sash Nijinsky, television anchorwoman, falls from the penthouse of a high rise apartment in front of Stone Barrington setting in motion a series of events that change the course of his life. A terrific start to a series, this book sets up nicely the events that lead to Stone Barringtons career as an attorney and investigator. It was full of action and suspense and Stone was always in the middle of it all. I'm looking ...more
Rex Fuller
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first by Woods. I was really impressed with the quick, easy, and enjoyable reading. Glad I found a new author with an extensive list.
 Marla
Serious language and sex in this book, but story moves along and it's interesting. Stone sees newscaster, Sasha Nijinsky, fall from her balcony and ends up leading the investigation.

Likes:
* Stone Barrington is an honest NYC cop who went to law school, then went to the police academy instead of taking the bar exam
* Pretty good book, for setting up the background for the series
* Dino Bacchetti, Stone's Italian partner
* Frank Woodman, law firm partner
* Bill Eggers, law firm partner and Stone's law
Sionna
So, I read this book with my father as I'm trying to get him into reading more and I know he likes this author. Also, I figured I could learn what kinds of books he does like. Unfortunately, I didn't like it.

While I will give some leeway since it was written in the 80s, I feel like I should also make excuses because it was written by a man. Wow, it is so obvious. There is just some weirdly written things and moments that made me groan, roll my eyes, and wish I could put the book down. UGH.

I wil
Heidi
Smart detective. Integrity and good looks. New York City. Seems like a recipe for a great series.

Pretty good read with some twists but I kept wanting more... since it’s a popular, longtime series, I’m hopeful it gets better.

One thing I noticed... even though it was set in early 90s (maybe even late 80s), the lack of technology wasn’t nearly as obvious as it can be in other crime procedurals. That’s a good thing.

Barrington isn’t Bosch but I think I’d like to get to know him a little better, jus
Joe White
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may have been the last good Stone Barrington book. It actually had a plot with several twists and suspense leading up to the final pages with the final revelations. In this book, Stone was still a police detective and hadn't adopted the smug wealthy lifestyle which becomes the consummate profile of later Stone books. He actually experienced a brief look at financial disaster, and entered the book wearing ordinary clothing. His adoption of expensive clothing and absorbing the finer lifestyle ...more
Michelle
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don’t have a great first impression of Stone Barrington, based on this first book in the series. I started at book 1 because a friend gave me a boxful of Stuart Woods’ books. Then again, the setting is the early-1990s, and the racism, sexism, and derogatory insults that are freely thrown about seem so out-of-date. Casual sex seems to be Stone’s modus operandi, but when I thought the “love-interest” was out of the picture, I started to like Stone a little better; but wait, here she comes again ...more
Rorie
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a Piece of Shit! From the name of the protagonist to his character description.... this book REALLY sucks! I tried to be fair and give it a shot, but I can not and will not waste another minute of my life reading this crap. I am amazed so many people like this book. If anyone would care to explain how they can read it all the way through and enjoy it, I would appreciate it.

Jerry
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jerry by: A friend
If the rest of the series is like New York Dead, I'm very happy to have been turned on to Stuart Woods. The last 6 chapters held me, and I couldn't put it down, even though we were late meeting friends for dinner.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
When I started this series I didn't know that it was part of a series so I jumped around but today I thought it would be a good idea to start this series from the beginning and because my son keeps telling me that this was a really good crime and I needed to start the Stone Barrington series right from the beginning. Well just like the others I love Stone but now I know why he became a lawyer instead of staying a cop but also how his mind works. He's quite smart and love his ex-partner Dino. He' ...more
Karen
Everyone is always telling Stone Barrington that he's too smart to be a cop, but it's pure luck that places him on the streets in the dead of night, just in time to witness the horrifying incident that turns his life inside out. Suddenly he's on the front page of every New York newspaper, and his life is hopelessly entwined in the increasingly shocking life (and perhaps death) of Sasha Nijinsky, the country's hottest and most beautiful television anchorwoman.

I think with a different vocal actor
Gareth Otton
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People bored with detective novels that always return to the status quo
I find that I am less and less gripped by detective books as the years go by. They tend to be all of a likeness, the same thing happening so often even by different authors that it's hard to tell them apart. For the most part this was true about this novel as well. There was nothing amazingly original about it, the crime was familiar enough to be predictable and there was a lot of the tired tropes I dislike about this genre in evidence in the writing.

So why is it that this is a five star review
Steve
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April 2017 This book should be mandatory reading for devotees of Woods and Barrington. Although not a "rags to riches" tale, It is certainly a tale from negative cash flow to billionaire or near that status. A sub-title to the series could be "Luckiest Bastard in the World". I like that I looked up "terminal velocity" two years ago. Still 5 stars!

5-9-2015 Amazingly, I haven't read this book and it is this book that has so much of the Stone back story that runs throughout the 50+ other books. It
Sue
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: man-in-uniform
Book one of the Stone Barrington Series; I thought it was an excellent start to a series. Stone starts out as a detective on the NY police force with a Law Degree. He’s always been considered out of place on the force, too smooth, too moral. Cops are definitely on display as fallible, they sometimes make wrong choices due to political pressures which at times is in conflict with what's morally right. Nicely complex disjointed murders, a beautiful willful woman, celebs galore as well as a man cha ...more
Cheryl
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid mystery. I actually read the book this time instead of listening to it. It was an easy read with nice short chapters. I like it that way. Easier to handle just one more chapter before falling asleep.

This is Stone Barrington's first appearance in a series written by Stuart Woods. He is a detective second class just coming back from a serious knee injury. He gets caught up in a mystery involving a celebrity news anchor when he sees her plunge from the roof.

Nothing is as it seems. While Barri
Bob
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this old paperback that recounts the beginning of the Stone Barrington series. I often read mention of the events in later books, but it was nice to finally read the whole story and I can see that Stone has not changed his habits in later books. When Stone was walking home when off duty he witnesses the fall from a high balcony of prominent news woman. While it appears that she may have survived the fall, the ambulance that was rushing her to the hospital is stuck by a fire engine and when ...more
Keith
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone tells Detective Second Class Stone Barrington that he’s not a good match with the New York Police Department. He’s too smart to be a cop and his background from old money is resented by other members on the force. But even with his law school background he thinks that being a detective is one thing he does well. After he witnesses the apparent suicide of a beautiful and well known TV anchorwoman he watches his entire life turnaround as he’s caught up in a string of unsolved and seemingl ...more
David
Jan 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kept reading it to find out who did it. Nothing else about the book made me want to continue. The characters were extremely shallow. They had no depth and for the most part were motivated by only power and sex. This includes the main character. There is very little to admire about any of the characters. There is nothing here to learn in this book. Police procedure was inconsistent and unbelievable. Though it takes place in NYC, you will learn nothing about NYC. Though there are scenes in TV prod ...more
Ron
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Had heard about the Stone Barrington books, but, hadn't read on. Got the Books on CD version of this one and really enjoyed it. I didn't know that it starts out with him as a cop. But, it's a good find and I'll read more of them. Already have one more on Books on CD ready to go, Worst Fears Realized. Sadly, my library doesn't have them all on CD, but, they do have several. This one sounds like it will do nicely.

The characters are all believable and well fleshed out. The plot is good and pace is
Amanda McGill
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
An average murder mystery, not the best I've read, but not the worst either.

I liked the setting of New York City and Stone being a NYC cop. The plot was entertaining, but at times unbelievable. The mystery was really good, and I liked how there was a different element, where the cops didn't know if the victim was alive or dead.

A decent read that would work well as a mystery beach read or as a mindless read.
Melanie Pennington
I've been looking for a series of crime novels to read, and somehow I've never read Woods' Barrington before. I started with book 1. It took a little getting used to as the book is somewhat dated (pub. 1991), but I felt it was important to start at the beginning. I'm looking forward to working through this series, as Barrington is an engaging and likable character somewhat out of the ordinary in crime/mystery series.
Lee
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stone-barrington
I had read the second Stone Barrington book, 5-6 years ago. And, after I found out the series had been going on for awhile. So since I'm anal in reading series in order, had to start finding the others.:)
It was good to find out how he was "forced" out of the police department, and started working for a lawyer firm for investigations they need. Good quick read, with Stone digging for clues, and available women.
Julie
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stereotypical characters

Interesting main character, the rest are stereotypical and evoke little interest or sympathy. The language used to refer to a lesbian character is offensive but then the majority of the females are shallow and lack character development. Recommended by a library volunteer, interesting but unbelievable sections. Needed more research.
Dawn rizzi
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart-woods
MY BEST FRIEND GOT ME HOOKED ON STUART WOODS AND THE STONE BARRINGTON NOVELS. I LOVE THEM I WAIT FOR APRIL AND OCTOBER EVER YEAR TO GET HIS NEXT ONE. I WISH I COULD GET INTO MORE SERIES LIKE THIS. ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS LET ME KNOW. I ALREADY READ ALEX CROSS SO I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE.
Patricia
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not to expect to enjoy this book as much as I did! I had read one other book by this author (book #2 of the Rick Barron series) and did not like it very well. This book is quite the opposite! I expect that I will read more books in the Stone Barrington series and will not give another thought to the Rick Barron series.
Stuart Woods 3 23 Jan 12, 2016 07:09AM
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)
  • The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)
  • Crimson Joy (Spenser, #15)
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Dark Harbor (Scott Finn #1)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • The Tin Collectors (Shane Scully, #1)
  • Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • Dead Even
  • One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1)
  • Mistaken Identity (Rosato & Associates, #4)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
“He was a simple, animal hunger, and he didn't care what he was eating or how it tasted .
It was like taking aspirin to make a headache go away.
You don't enjoy the aspirin”
0 likes
“There was a sort of invisible, one-way barrier between that young woman and the rest of the world ; everything passed through it to her but very little passed out.” 0 likes