Start by marking “Working with Emotional Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Working with Emotional Intelligence

Working with Emotional Intelligence

Goleman reveals the skills that distinguish star performers in every field, from entry-level jobs to top executive positions.

Daniel Goleman's bestselling Emotional Intelligence revolutionized the way we think about personal excellence. Now he brings his insight into the workplace, in a book sure to change the shape of business for decades to come.

In Working with Emotional
Published January 4th 2000 by Bantam (first published October 1st 1998)

Start your review of Working with Emotional Intelligence
Chad Warner
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Chad by: Lee Eilers
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Interpersonal skills are especially important in Information Technology, because purely technical skills are easily outsourced. I've become increasingly aware of this since I launched my technology services company, OptimWise, because although many aspects of IT are based online, real business is still mostly done "IRL" (in real life); where face-to-face conversations and other social skills are much more important.

A local entrepreneur recommended this book for its insights into the "soft" perso
Amit Mishra
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What should I say about this book? Absolutely fabulous delivers what it said. The book develops a conscience in the readers to achieve something greater. As it suggests it is a really groundbreaking book that redefines what it means to be smart.
John
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Because I was working in a testosterone filled hierarchy at the time I read this, it was like being handed a big, secret, club.

My coworkers generally didn't know what hit them - using Goleman's analytic framework allowed me to maneuver project teams into win-win outcomes.

Teaches you how to recognize impediments, how to understand what drives the other party's position (or at least how to figure out what that is), and best of all, how to use that knowledge.

GREAT read for anyone who regularly ne
Dmitry
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology
This book discusses a rather important issue, but it is really, really badly written. I was especially underimpressed by it against the backdrop of the recently read "Thinking, fast and slow" by Daniel Kahneman.

The book is EXTREMELY long-winded. Long after it made its (perfectly convincing) point, it goes on and on piling one example on top of another in the style of chain letters, for further persuasion value adding a bunch of meaningless numbers: such and such billions of dollars of financial
Nga Dao Quynh
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
First printed nearly 20 years ago, this book's content can deliver around 50% relevance now I guess, given the mushroom-ing of "emotional intelligence" and other buzzwords that come with it for the last two decades. We heard too much of them nowadays that the first half can be a freaking long and tiring read with many info we probably grow tired of hearing. Though I believe many ideas here are original, they're no longer new, even horribly lack update for recent developments, considering that ...more
Ron
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
No real rocket science here... Getting ahead may actually count more on your emotional IQ (see items below) than it does on your intellectual IQ. I'd only suggest reading one Goleman book. I suspect they all rehash the same thoughts.

Part 2 – Personal Competence (12 specific job capabilities)

Chapter 4 – Self-awareness
• Innovation
Cha
Brian Bennett
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read this twice now. No real strategies, just continuous examples of how useful it would be to have high "EQ"
Muhammad Magdi youssif
A very BORING book, I couldn't even complete it
In this book Daniel Goleman is explaining how Emotion Quotient (EQ) matters more than Intelligence Quotient (IQ) , then he started to explain the Emotional Competence Model that is composed of 1- Self Awareness 2- Self regulation 3- Motivation 4- Empathy 5- Social Skills besides demonstrating examples from real life on how each of these capacities matters. sometimes you will feel lost reading this book due to the HUGE amount of useless anecdotes and
Justin
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone on a rung of he "corporate Ladder"
Recommended to Justin by: My good eye
Working with Emotional Intelligence is a must read for anyone who wants to move up the corporate ladder. Today's business atmosphere is changing rapidly, and anyone without emotional intelligence will likely find moving upward in their company very difficult.
C.G. Fewston
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Working with Emotional Intelligence (1998) by Daniel Goleman is the sequel to the hit self-help book Emotional Intelligence first published in 1995, and the book is also a prime example of “professional nepotism” and “self-prohibited research.”

Another alumnus of Harvard we far too often see on the bookshelves for no better reason than they attended Harvard, Daniel Goleman begins the book with an acknowledgments section which basically sets out an extended thanks to those he will later primarily
Farhan Khalid
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book applies lessons from Emotional Intelligence to the workplace exclusively

As your career advances, interpersonal skills matter more than cognitive skills

Organization can optimize its performance by improving its collective emotional intelligence

There are twenty-five emotional competencies grouped into five categories

Three of which are personal competencies, while two are social competencies

The first personal competency category is Self-Awareness

The second is Self-Regulation, or controllin
Brian Rast
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Patricia
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
notes recently found on a book read a while back!

I have been reading non-fiction, Working with Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Coleman. It seems that everyone I mention this to says he same thing.....There is a lot of emotional in the work place, but not very much intelligence! This is not a self help book, but one that explains what emotional intelligence is and how companies are beginning to realize that their bussiness can be effected by the emotions of their workers. My favorite quote is "T
Alexander
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Not as good as the first. The organization of the book is a bit frustrating, with no clear direction of where Goleman is headed.

The first book definitely had a greater impact on me. The last 75 pages or so seemed to drone on about the same topics, with little new insights.

The typical reader could do without reading this book if they've already read the first.
Tomislav Hećimović
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting topic brought with number of insightful stories and advises about different aspects of developing emotional intelligence in business environment. A little hard to read it as usual book, since number of points are repeated on different complexity levels in different chapters. Once you accept it more like an student's book where every chapter is story on and that it is OK to read it in the order you want (unfortunately,I manage to understand it only when I read the almost complete book ...more
Liz
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of really great ideas on how to cultivate emotional intelligence within the workplace-- for all levels.
Călin-Andrei Burloiu
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book on how to use emotional intelligence to evolve in your career and to improve your relationship with your colleagues.
Xiangjie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
- Emotional intelligence can be learned, but only via practice, and may involve unlearning of old habits
Akhila
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daniel Goleman's first book in the series - 'Why EQ matters more than IQ' was an eye opener for me on many fronts. Our age old beleif that one can only survive in this world with a brain high in IQ and competence inherent by birth was shattered for good. It provided deep insights into why people are how they are.
In this book, Goleman delves deeper into how emotional competence makes people a better leader at the work place and in a social setting. Through studies and researches conducted across
Yasser Hassan
A review of the audio book edition: In this book, Daniel Goleman takes the theoretical foundation and concepts laid in the previous book "Emotional Intelligence" and puts them into application. While "Emotional Intelligence" is about how to understand emotional intelligence, this book is about how to practice it. Although Daniel Goleman mainly addresses the workplace and professional life in this book, still the knowledge provided can be effectively applied on the personal level and in dealing w ...more
Joseph
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
this was a great book that helped me understand symptoms and manifestations of officepolitik.

not only that but i appreciate the insight that goleman gives re: office bullies. it provides a model for which one can understand one's motivation and actions. the book provides a great framework that shows tried and true methods that help improve one's social intelligence.

Evin Ashley
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, which can be summed up on pg. 106:

"Motive and emotion share the same Latin root, motere, meaning 'to move'. Emotions are, literally, what move us to pursue our goals; they fuel our motivations, and our motives in turn drive our perceptions and shape our actions. Great work starts with great feeling."
Peep Laja
Jun 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
This is a follow-up to Emotional Intelligence, so read that first.

I found this book to be highly practical, way more pragmatic than the previous book. If you read the E.I., I strongly recommend to read this too to get the most out of this topic.
Kc
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Learnings:

Emotional competence involves two things (1) empathy in reading the feelings of others, (2) social skills to handle those feeling artfully

Integrity - acting openly, honestly and consistently - sets outstanding performers apart

The first step in influence is building rapport
Sara
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book totally justifies why we shouldn't push pressure on perfect grades. More important to have experience running events, leading organizations etc.
Shravani Ganti
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Great detail on how mind actually deals with emotions. I found the science part of the book amazing.
Rest will be good if you are into reading philosophy. Not something am fond of.
Zhiyar Qadri
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
theory applied and explained with brilliant simplicity.
James
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I completed a Master's in Industrial / Organizational Psychology 7 years ago, and yet this is the first I/O Psych kind of book I read for fun.

So. Emotional Intelligence. What is it, exactly? It's having an awareness of your own feelings, being able to recognize those feelings, and then knowing how to constructively handle those feelings.

But wait there's more!

Emotional Intelligence also involves being able to empathize with others, to understand the feelings that they experience, how to handle t
Rodney Harvill
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
When I first heard about emotional intelligence a number of years ago, it was described as a better predictor of success than IQ. In this book, Dr. Goleman repeats that claim and explains what it means. In professional fields, there is an IQ threshold for entry into the field, but once that threshold is met, emotional intelligence is a larger contributor to success than is IQ. I am really glad he made this clarification because the earlier formulation I had heard almost implied that someone with ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • EQ Applied: The Real-World Guide to Emotional Intelligence
  • Come smettere di farsi le seghe mentali e godersi la vita
  • Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better
  • The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
  • The Oxygen Advantage: The Simple, Scientifically Proven Breathing Techniques for a Healthier, Slimmer, Faster, and Fitter You
  • Peregrinos
  • The Janson Equation (Paul Janson, #4)
  • The Neuropsychology of Self-Discipline: The Master Key to Success
  • Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships
  • Cien años de soledad: Fragmentos
  • Dare to Fail
  • பொன்னியின் செல்வன் - சுழற்காற்று
  • Jayakanthan Sirukathaigal Thoguppu - 1 (Tamil)
  • Ponniyin Selvan - The Pinnacle of Sacrifice, Vol. 1
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busin

News & Interviews

“out-of-control emotions can make smart people stupid.” 11 likes
“Emotional intelligence does not mean merely "being nice". At strategic moment it may demand not "being nice", but rather, for example, bluntly confronting someone with an uncomfortable but consequential truth they've been avoiding.” 7 likes