Start by marking “Bartholomew and the Oobleck” as Want to Read:
Bartholomew and the Oobleck

Bartholomew and the Oobleck

Illus. in color by the author. An ooey-gooey, green oobleck was not exactly
what the king had in mind when he ordered something extra-special from his
royal magicians.
Published October 12th 1949 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Bartholomew and the Oobleck, please sign up.
Carrie At your local library, you can! (This website is just for reviewing books, not reading them.)

[Shai] Bibliophage
I still haven't read the The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, so I cannot compare this sequel to the aforementioned story. But for this follow-up, the lessons about having a sincere apology and on admitting his fault really makes a big difference. Being contented in life is another great lesson that this children's story book wants to impart to everyone.
Joanna Sundby
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
It is my personal opinion that there is a Dr Seuss book for every possible situation. I have a hard time keeping them on hand, because I find so many people who need one. I use them as gifts in a hurry, as handy reference guides for all kinds of things, and as greeting cards ( well worth the extra postage, and the inside blank page up front gives you tons of writing space.)

This book is not only my favorite of all favorites in the Dr Seuss collection, it is also my preferred method for making up
Jason
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story about a mad king abusing his power and trying to take on the weather. To the king rain, wind, snow and sun are all pretty boring so he gets his creepy magicians to conjure up something new. So they create Oobleck which creates all sorts of problems for the king, turns out there is no hope unless the king takes responsibilities for his actions.

Dr Seuss teaches us in this book that when it's raining green sticky stuff always blame the king.
Ronyell
Oobleck

“Bartholomew and the Oobleck” is the sequel to Dr. Seuss’ timeless classic “The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” and is about how King Derwin wanted to create a weather that has never been created and ends up disastrous results. “Bartholomew and the Oobleck” is definitely a classic tale that children will enjoy for many years.

Dr. Seuss’ story is exciting and creative at the same time, especially during the scenes where Bartholomew tries to warn everyone about the oobleck covering the town. Eve
Sylvester
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not one of our favourite Dr. Seuss books. Now that we're reading chapter books and books with a lot more text - and I'm the Reader - I have become keenly aware of the number of words and rather skeptical as to whether so many were really necessary. I hardly dare say it, but I think perhaps Seuss was at his very best with fewer words. I know. Sacrilege. Squirt confirms my doubts, though. He loves "Green Eggs and Ham", but the Oobleck didn't hold his interest.
Matthew
If you would like to read the first book before reading this sequel then you should definitely check out The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.

I had this book in possession for days but unfortunately I could not read it because this is a sequel and I hate to read any works that are based from one book because I am afraid that I may not enjoy the sequel without knowing the characters and the plot of the previous work that tied the sequel together. I feel that way about anything whether it be book,
Jay
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
An acceptable sequel to the "500 Hats". Young Bartholomew, boy genius, saves the day with a solution for ridding the Kingdom of Did of the nasty green Oobleck. Can't help but believe that the book might have inspired the old horror movie "The Blob" with Steve McQueen.
M.K. Aneal
Aug 31, 2015 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: seuss
Had to put this book down on account of very strange magical things. Very sad I had to but I had to put it down.
Kerry
Apr 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
Am I the only one who dreads having to read their child a Dr. Seuss book?
Kathy Davie
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fantasy
Another in the Bartholomew Cubbins series revolving around Bartholomew, a page boy in the service of the king.

In 1950, Bartholomew and the Oobleck won the Caldecott Honor.

My Take
It's a case of be careful what you wish for as the king is bored, bored, bored. It'll take a disaster for the king to say those simple words. Words that every child, teen, and adult should learn. And learn to speak.

I adored the lovely, soft pencil drawings on every page. And a clever idea for green to be the only color.

I
Amy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
My niece had heard this Dr. Seuss book before; last year her school did a Dr. Seuss week, and over the course of that week they read so many Dr. Seuss books she actually came to rather loathe his stories. My nephew and I, I though, had never heard of this story.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book. It was almost totally devoid of Seussian rhymes (this is not always a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned), and the story itself was well written and interesting. I really enjoyed the chara
Mitchell
A lost classic. Certainly lost to me, I don't recall ever seeing this one and certainly not reading it. And yet this won a Caldecott Honor. A bit wordier than the later books - but absolutely tells a story and a pretty good one. And includes a King as the bad guy and good manners as the good guy.
Mrs. Murfee
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this lesser-well-known (to me, at least) book by Dr. Seuss aloud & to my surprise, my 12th grader listened! After reading, we enjoyed analyzing what possible meanings there were to the story: global warming? acid rain? greed? the ripple effect our behavior has on those around us? I believe an argument could be made for all these themes, but one rises above the others as being just a bit more powerful: the importance of taking responsibility for actions & saying "I'm sorry."
Heidi
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it

I really love some of the Dr. Seuss books.

This was one that I didn't think was that
great. Maybe if I had read it when I was
younger, I would have enjoyed it more.
Dayaniliz S.
It was funny I just didn't enjoy it that much
Sarah Dunmire
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found a first edition of this at a library sale and hasn’t heard of it. So I read it, and I can’t believe this isn’t more well-known. Cool art and GREAT message.
Sasha
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Seuss’s Bartholomew and the Oobleck, which was published in 1949 is a classic tale of how the smallest people who may seem like they don’t have the most authority or intelligence, end up saving the day. It gives moral lessons on many subtle things but one especially: realizing your mistakes and apologizing for them. It is about a King who wants something new and fun to fall from the sky, and what he gets is not exactly what the expectation was. I love this book because it taught me the impor ...more
Emma
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
Bartholomew and the Oobleck is the story of a bored old king who is tired of limited weather options. He orders his magicians to create new and interesting weather, but when they do the results are disastrous.

I didn't know such a lengthy, complete tale by Dr. Seuss existed, to my embarrassment. So when I received this book I thought heavens no, that's much too long and much too black and white - my destructotot will never sit and listen to that. I determined to try anyway, though, with the cave
Lorna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
1950 Caldecott Honor

Favorite illustration: When Bartholomew steps outside the palace to see the full impact of the oobleck fallout.

Favorite line: The wizards rhymes--for example:

Shuffle, duffle, muzzle, muff.
Fista, wista, mista-cuff.
We are men of groans and howls,
Mystic men who eat boiled owls.
Tell us what you wish, oh King.
Our magic can do anything.

Kid-appeal: For someone who's used to the rhyming text of Dr. Suess, this was surprising to have a more traditional storybook, but I ended up li
Shanna Gonzalez
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story about an arrogant king, introduced in The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, who decides that he wants to rule the sky as well as the land, and brings down horror on his kingdom when his magicians cook up a dangerous, sticky new kind of precipitation. The story ends with Bartholomew, his page-boy, courageously speaking the truth to his foolish king, and the king's repentance brings about freedom for the land.

There are echoes of King David's deadly hubris (2 Samuel 24) in this sto
Mark Baker
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, picture-book
King Derwin of Didd is tired of the same old four things coming down from the sky, so he decides to get his magicians to create something new – Oobleck. However, his page Bartholomew things something is dangerous about it. Is he correct?

One of Dr. Seuss’s older books, it can be long and isn’t told in his typical rhyme. Still shows his creativity, however, and there are some good lessons worked into the story without preaching as well. Fun for older kids and adults looking for a longer picture bo
Quanita
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Batholomew and the Oobleck, by Dr. Seuss is book of fantasy. It is recommended for kids in 2nd grade and higher. I listened to this book being read on YouTube and it is great. King Derwin is angry with the sky for only having rain, snow, sunshine and fog. Bartholomew works in the Kingdom of Didd for the king and tells him king don't rule the sky. King Derwin asked the magicians to make it happen. Oobleck is nothing like rain, snow, fog or sunshine, it was green and gooey and got all over. The ki ...more
Alana Graham
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: perspectives, science
This is a relevant book to read before discussing polymers or the different states of matter with your students. I would recommend reading excerpts for the younger students, because this book is quite lengthy. This book also send the message that we should sometimes be content with the way things are. The king was greedy and wanted to rule the sky as well as the land showing that too much pride can be a bad thing. I would recommend this to a student who liked to boss others around with some cons ...more
Kristine Hansen
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the most magical words of all are "I'm sorry."

Here we see a foolish king with a very wise servant - that no one listens to. Of course. So when the king causes a monstrous disaster, it's up to the small boy to fix everything. Not the first time the device is used (or the last) but done so very well. We see some hints of the later Dr. Seuss rhymes in words the wizards say. And some of the illustrations really remind me of his later works. Overall though, I very much liked this book and t
Meagan
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I was a little daunted by the length and density of this less-familiar-to-me Dr. Seuss book, and was unsure about how much my first graders would understand or enjoy it. But, wanting to the a science activity about the "oobleck" was enough cause to read it to them, and I'm glad I did. The long text zoomed by because of the exciting story and dramatic rhythm. The kids had no trouble following it and staying engaged.
Amy
Aug 21, 2012 added it
This and "Horton Hears a Who" stick in my imagination out of all the Dr. Seuss books. I loved the little worlds he created in zany words and pictures. I was delighted to know he was a real person living in my city. I recognized that his trees resembled actual devil palms that grew around San Diego, California. The idea that books were created by real people hit me like lightning. What could be better than that?
Dolly
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a great story by Dr. Seuss that is different from his normal books. It doesn't have the sing-songy rhyming narrative, and although the names and some things are a little silly, it's a fairly no-nonsense story. Our girls really liked it, especially because of the word, "Oobleck." They thought that was so funny.

I'm pretty sure I read this as a child, but it just didn't stick with me like some of his other stories...
Luann
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Dr. Seuss book that doesn't rhyme! I like it. It's also one of the longer Dr. Seuss stories that is great for older students. And this is one of the three Dr. Seuss books to win a Caldecott Honor. I don't ever remember reading this one when I was young, but I wish I had! This is a very nice story about Bartholomew the page boy who tries to warn the King not to want something new to fall from the sky.
Heather Fineisen
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Our bedtime story last night, and at least ten others before. This time my eight year old read it to me. Dr. Seuss is timeless. I enjoy reading these stories as an adult and catching a whole level of irony just for the more mature and jaded. A bit like watching classics Looney Tunes now and getting the grown up joke.
I thought that this story was quite amusing. With a slightly unpredictable outcome you are left wondering if maybe the kingdom will perish underneath a great big pile of oobleck. I liked this book, you should check it out.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Seuss Lovers: Bartholomew and the Oobleck 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 06:31PM
jackie 1 11 Apr 02, 2012 11:45AM

• Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Ape in a Cape: An Alphabet of Odd Animals
  • The Most Wonderful Doll in the World
  • Anatole and the Cat (Anatole, #2)
  • Mice Twice
  • Nothing At All
  • My Mother is the Most Beautiful Woman in the World
  • In the Forest
  • A Very Special House
  • The Emperor and the Kite
  • Fly High, Fly Low
  • Green Eyes (Family Storytime)
  • April's Kittens