Start by marking “Dream Snow” as Want to Read:
Dream Snow

Dream Snow

It's December 24th, and the old farmer settles down for a winter's nap, wondering how Christmas can come when there is no snow! It is in his dream that he imagines a snowstorm coming and covering him and his animals—named One, Two, Three, Four and Five—in a snowy blanket. But when the farmer awakens, he finds that it has really snowed outside, and now he remembers ...more
Published September 25th 2000 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Dream Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Snow

Start your review of Dream Snow
Calista
This is set at the Christmas time, but it doesn’t really seem like a Christmas book besides the last page showing some presents. It’s mostly about snow. On Christmas Eve, a farmer realizes that there is no snow. He falls asleep and dreams of blankets of snow covering him and his animals. When he wakes, there is snow.

For each page there is a clear plastic page with white dots and a blanket of snow that goes over the man or animal. It is cute for one book. It is very easy to tell this is Eric
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful tale of giving - children will warm to the simple lesson taught and enjoy the interactivity offered by the book.
Carrie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, animals
There's sound at the end. :)
Kathryn
Children will probably enjoy the interactive nature of this book. Lift the snow-blanket (flaps) to discover what farm animals this farmer actually has. Also, there's a fun musical surprise at the end. However, this book really didn't do to much for me and doesn't live up to some of Carle's other glorious books, in my perspective.
Alicia
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The preschoolers in my class really enjoyed this book. They liked guessing which animals were under the snow. They thought the animal names were hilarious (one, two, three, etc.) and of course, a tree named tree was just too funny for them. The button at the end just made their day, and they had to press it several times.
Mariah Roze
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story plot to this wasn't anything special, but the illustrations and creativeness in this book was amazing! Highly recommend it!
Britt Guild
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love to read this book as winter begins and snow covers everything like a white blanket as the book describes. It is a fun interactive book as each page has a plastic overlay that covers up the animal or farmer with white falling snow. Each animal is named a number, so it's a great book for counting and naming animals. It is also a book about kindness and bringing the holidays to everyone in a special way.

This is a unique book that allows students to interact with the book as they turn each
Professor
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another Carle riff on creating a book that kids can interact with; this one has transparencies of snow that get overlaid over a farmer and his 5 animals (names 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5) and a button at the end that plays a little tune. MicroMort really enjoyed it and it has the usual cozy, warm feel of a Carle book.
Stephanie  Weatherly
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this Christmas story by Eric Carle. My kids love that it utilizes numbers and they can read along with me. They also really enjoy the flaps to open on each page.
Brooke Seidel
Title: Dream Snow
Author: Eric Carle
Genre: Non-fiction Concept book
Theme(s): Christmas, winter, dreaming, counting, farms
Opening line/sentence: On a small farm there lived a farmer. He only had a few animals.
Brief Book Summary: There is a farmer that lives on a farm with his animals named One, Two, Three, Four and Five. He takes a nap and dreams of snow pilling up on him and his five animals. When he wakes up he sees snow everywhere and realizes that he is not dreaming! But he soon realizes that
Josiah
Dec 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Children's Christmas literature needed a contribution from Eric Carle, and this quiet tale of a farmer tending to his five animals on Christmas is just what I would have expected from him. The art is colorful and exotic, exciting and innovative even after so many years of Eric Carle originals, and the story has the feel of a second nativity, combining the eternal majesty of the Biblical manger scene with a celebration of Santa Claus's exemplary generosity as he tours the world to bring us gifts ...more
Sandy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, childrens, holiday
It’s Christmas but where is the snow? As the farmer sat down in his chair at the end of a tiring day, he dreamt of snow. Inside of his dream, the snow covers him and all of his farm animals with a white blanket. It was a peaceful dream and when the farmer woke up, he was surprised to see that snow had actually fallen outside. Quickly putting on the proper clothing, he runs outside grabbing a box and a sack for which he had already prepared. He seems to be in a hurry. The animals, safe in the ...more
Elissa Still
Dream Snow features a simple farmer and his five animals- all named one, two, three, four, and five, who wonder how Christmas is coming without snow on the ground. One night the farmer dreams of a huge blizzard that covers his fields, and when he awakes the next morning his dream has come true. But the snow coming isn’t the only Christmas surprise the famer has up his sleeves for his animals. The reading level for this book is kindergarten through 2nd grade.

Comments/observations: This is a
Holly M
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my favorite picture books of all time. It is about a farmer who owns a small farm with five animals. Every day when he is done tending to his farm he goes back to his house to prepare and eat his favorite meal. One night he falls asleep and dreamed that he and all of his animals got covered with a blanket of snow. When he awoke from his dream he saw that it had snowed while he was sleeping, so the farmer put on his warm clothes, grabbed a box, and rushed outside. He decorated the ...more
Alexis Espinosa
Dream Snow is a book about an old farmer with five animals who has a dream that it snowed and covered all of his only animals.

Comments/observations: The reading level of this book in kindergarten to second grade and the themes include winter, farms, and Christmas. My emotional readers response is that it is a good story and when I was reading it I wasn't sure how the book was going to end which was new when it comes to children's books. Eric Carle also did a good job illustrating this book with
Laura Hines
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have this book at home and really enjoyed learning about the author,Eric Carle, through a project. This book provides such magnificent illustrations and even include a light up image towards the end. Eric Carle does a great job of creating a holiday story that is captivating for young children. The plot of this children's book is that an old man who lives on a farm falls asleep on the night before Christmas. During his nap he dreams of snow trickling down and covering his farm. When he wakes ...more
Cassie
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children.
Shelves: childerns
I have always been a fan of Eric Carle, So when I saw this I had to get to get for my Goddaughters. This book is so great for young kids, it teaches them about hard work and to be kind to animals, but it also teaches counting and a few basic farm animals. I love it. I will probably reread this book every Christmas.
Virginia
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, read-2013
My children love this book solely because of the sound button you can push at the end. Other than that, they do like to look at the pictures. But seriously. They just push the button over and over again.
Suzie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle book with a push button of music at the end. Not sure it gets better than this for a three and a six year old! The story line was a bit lacking, but the beautiful illustrations won me over.
Monica
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art. Lovely story. Peppermint tea and honeyed bread. Falling asleep dreaming of snow. Waking to snow. Presents for animals. Great book!
Laura (Book Scrounger)
A fun Christmas book for preschoolers, and #15 on my "25 Days of Christmas Books" blog series: https://www.theproblemsite.com/book-s...
Fritz Loehrke
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute story with nice repetitive counting and one, two, three, four, five big flaps like on an advent calendar to open to view the animals.
Rachel
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Lovely book for small children.
Amanda L
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Again, he's getting by on his illustrative vision alone. The story is downright lazy.
Carina
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We love Eric Carle at our house, but this one was a let down. While the book is beautiful looking, the story itself is odd and doesn't make much sense.
John
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: addyvi
I like this book because it had dream snow and there's flap. I loved it.Oh, I almost forgot, I almost forgot! HA HA!!!" And then he waked up 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Kathryn Bergeron
Summary: A farmer dreams of snow, and his dream comes true. But he's missing something...

Review: First off, I dislike Eric Carle from the beginning. I think that his books have value and understand that people like them. I'm just not one of them. I appreciate Brown Bear, Brown Bear for example, and even his book about the hermit crab. This one does not make the appreciation list. It was just kind of weird, and I'm not sure where or when I'd read it with a child.
Mely
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We are a Eric Carle loving household here, but TBH, this story fell a little flat. I was expecting a lot more considering this is a popular and well loved holiday book. Not much to the story, however my 3 year old loves how interactive this book is. The plastic overlays and the musical button at the end, put a unique spin on this book. Overall just an okay book.
Alison Reads
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-4, 3-4, christmas
A farmer with a total lack of creativity for animal names takes a nap, dreams of snow covering his five animals, wakes up, and then scrambles because he realizes it's Christmas. It's not my favorite Eric Carle. That being said...there aren't a ton of Christmas books out there for very young kids. So, I'd check it out from the library if you have a 2-4 year old and you need a sweet, non-religious, counting, Christmas book.
Gina
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really liked the illustrations, but found the clear snow pages and the button for music a little gimmicky. Also, reading a book that is used, the snow pages were wrinkled and the page for the button was not sitting right, so those things are technical issues, and without them you see that the story is a little thin.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Dasher
  • Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Home for Christmas
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more