Start by marking “Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond

Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,434 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Written in a clear, step-by-step style, this ideal teaching text makes cognitive therapy immediately accessible to students as well as to professionals new to cognitive therapy. The author uses a single case example to demonstrate how to conceptualize patients according to the cognitive model, plan treatment, conduct an initial session, structure therapy within and across ...more
Published May 19th 1995 by The Guilford Press (first published January 1st 1995)

Staci
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
CBT is really interesting and this book laid out a great foundation on how to implement it. Now it is just a matter of me being able to put it into practice.
Patrick
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the topic, from its history, to its empirical verification and effectiveness (so claimed)to the methodology, which I would liken to an invading army, smashing all before its path to achieve certain tactical goals. In all probability Judith gives dear ol' Dad a smidgen more credit than he probably deserves as pioneering trailblazer, and shorts Albert Ellis and others. But so what? I'd probably do the same.

Some sections were a bit more heavy lifting than my philistine back
Eyjólfur Örn Jónsson
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A definite must-read for anyone interested in clinical psychology.
الشناوي محمد
العلاج المعرفي "الأسس والأبعاد"
جوديث بيك
.......................
هذا الكتاب يقع في أكثر من خمسمائة صفحة، أغلبها عبارة عن حوارات بين الطبيب المعالج ومريضة بقوم بإرشادها للعلاج علي أسس من علم النفس المعرفي، وهذا الحوار تم ترجمته بالعامية المصرية لجعله اكثر تلقائية بالنسبة للقارئ، وقد أسهب المؤلف في تفاصيل الحوارات بين المعالج والمريضة كإرشاد لممارسي هذا النوع من العلاج، إلا أن هذا الجزء _ وهو يشكل أغلب الكتاب _ لا أعتقد انه يشكل أهمية بالغة للقاريء العادي، لذلك فالقارئ العادي لن يحتاج من هذا الكتاب
Jeremy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work

Ch 2
What did you think about the session? Was there anything that bothered you, or you thought I misunderstood? Is there anything you want to do differently next time?

What is the evidence that your thought is true? What is the evidence on the other side?
What is an alternative way of viewing this situation?
What is the worst that could happen, and how could you cope if it did? What's the best that could happen? What's the most realistic outcome of this situation?
What is the effect of believing you
Bryan
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very solid book. This book gives a very comprehensive look at most aspects of CBT as well as offering some dialogue and examples. This is the book I chose to use in my Masters Level CBT class and I got very good reviews from students. This book offered a case example that spanned the entire book so you really get an idea from session to session how the techniques evolve and when to apply them. The dialogue is easy to follow and it helps new therapists to "hear" how these topics are app ...more
Jon Frederickson
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every therapist from any theoretical point of view can benefit from learning the basic theory and techniques of cognitive therapy. And this book is a nice introduction with abundant clinical vignettes that show the therapist how and when to intervene. No matter what your perspective, we need to help patients think about their thinking (meta-cognition) and this book offers you essential skills to do just that. Co-Creating Change: Effective Dynamic Therapy Techniques
Bobparr
E' un vero e proprio manuale ad uso di psicologi e terapeuti in via di formazione, ma si legge con razionale piacere, avendo l'accortezza di saltare le parti piu' squisitamente professionali. Il metodo, ça va sans dire, è interessante, utile e abbastanza veloce.
Juan Nalerio
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo leí como si fuera estudiante, pese a no ser del palo de la sicología.
Muy claro y entendible.
Me complementa la terapia y logré profundizar lo aprendido en las sesiones.
Vin W. Dreverhaven
Un libro introductorio para principiantes en psicoterapia en el modelo cognitivo-conductual. Incluye un desglose muy completo de las técnicas, conceptos y estrategias para el trabajo clínico de diversos problemas psicológicos. Un libro de cajón para introducirse a los fundamentos de la psicoterapia.
Burhan Abbasi
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional Book. A must read for people interested in Psychology.
Christie
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a first year therapist and graduate student, I found this book incredibly helpful. It is extremely clear and well-organized, and provides summaries as well as role-plays for specific examples. I'm not sure how helpful it would be if you were looking for a book more about CBT in general, but it's great for a practicing clinician looking for skills-based techniques and advice.
Erin
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Erin by: self
I already knew a lot of this. Also, I would feel like I was in a straitjacket if I exclusively followed this approach to therapy. I have found that I only use cognitive coneptualization with anxiety D/O, and sometimes depressed, clients anyway. Some of the techniques are invaluable, but I prefer being more flexible in session.
Anthony
Good I suppose for someone who really wants to know more about structuring treatment for generically depressed patients through the CBT model, but if you're looking for more information on distorted cognitions and their specific role in various psychological conditions, then I would suggest looking elsewhere. Fine overall. It really depends what you're looking for.
Chris
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read and primer for anyone interested in practicing CBT. Dr. Beck clearly lays out the basics (and, maybe, beyond) of the approach, and the focus of this text is primarily around the application of the therapy for mild to moderate depression.
Cheri
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good for learning or reviewing the fundamentals of cognitive conceptualization and treatment. Useful step-by-step instructions for conducting sessions from first session to termination, worksheets to utilize and sample case dialogues.
Benjamin Petrovic
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic introduction to CBT. The excerpts of dialogue between therapist and patient were particularly helpful, demonstrating the implementation of primary CBT techniques as well as ways to work through some of the common roadblocks faced in therapy.
Marina
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A staple for anyone looking into teaching/practicing CBT - also a book I'd recommend anyone to read in case they're looking to improve their day-to-day life in a systematic, evidence-based way without a therapist.
Christina
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good introductory textbook to CBT, with helpful case examples. I would have liked more variety in the case examples, since CBT is supposed to be effective for symptom relief with a wide variety of mental illness and all of the examples used depression and/or anxiety.
Leigh
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Assigned for my practicum class, I found this to be a very useful book in helping me understand how to take the theories of CBT & implement it into my practice. It's very organized & structured, with good examples based on clients to demonstrate how to "do" CBT.
Cloda
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great explanation of CBT for therapists. This book really breaks down the way in which to use the theory in each portion of therapy, from the first to last session. I would highly recommend it if you want to learn more about cognitive behavior therapy.
Richard
Cognitive Behavior Therapy: nothing was ever so practical, so grounded, or so boring. Beck and Beck have reduced psychotherapy to....one of the most boring practices on the planet. The frustrating part is that it works. Oh well. Did I mention that it's boring? But it works, thus 3 stars.
Ben Fendrich
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Provided an overview of CBT and some exercises that will help clients identify automatic thoughts, intermediate beliefs, and core beliefs. The book showed ways to help challenge dysfunctional thinking and ways to bring about more adaptive thinking.
Suriname Bokmal
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, 2015
Clear, concise, very well explained, with aprox. 40% of the book consisting of examples, with detailed responses and formulation that the therapist should use.
Lin Kudla
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
With everything in layman's terms and tons of examples, Beck makes CBT seem like it should be EASY!
Framchar5
A basic and clear guide!
Hannah Levy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really helpful book. Breaks down the process of therapy into sessions, exercises, homework assignments, etc. I plan to use this book for my next client!
Cecilia Milligan
It seems helpful

Great read. I enjoy reading the different techniques you can read about on how to read about what are the necessary step to become an effective CBT Therapist.
Laura Knoll
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Great introduction to CBT for beginning therapists. Easy to read, with many examples of application of the theory to your clients.
Roberta Sorenson
I could never operate strictly from a CBT approach. The structure! It goes against my INFP grain. Nonetheless, I can envision incorporating some of the techniques.
لحسن الحظ هذا الكتاب مترجم في العربي 1 8 Oct 20, 2014 10:23AM
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression (The Guilford Clinical Psychology and Psychopathology Series)
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Family Therapy Techniques
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • Ethnicity and Family Therapy
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
Dr. Beck has written nearly 100 articles and chapters on different aspects of cognitive therapy. She is the author of the primary text in the field, which has been translated into 20 languages, as well as books, workbooks, and pamphlets for consumers.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., is an eminent clinician and educator who previously served as director of Clinical Services at the Center for Cognitive Thera
More about Judith S. Beck...