Start by marking “Don't Stop Believing (Silver Pines, #1)” as Want to Read:
Don't Stop Believing (Silver Pines, #1)

Don't Stop Believing

(Silver Pines #1)

The Ogre from the Hill

Simon Powell, the town recluse, only comes to town to deliver firewood and get supplies. Two days before Christmas, he sees the new librarian’s car in a ditch and knows he can’t leave him on the road, but it’s too late to take him back to town. He’ll have something he’s never had in his cabin in the ten years that’s he’s lived there…company.

The Book N
ebook
Published November 3rd 2015 by Gwen Hayes

To ask other readers questions about Don't Stop Believing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Stop Believing

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I really wanted to like this novella, I swear I did! I LOVE snowed-in stories, especially if it has an enemies-to-lovers theme. But this one?? I'm sorry, but I've read better and more compelling versions of this trope.

I do love the winter story involving the small town librarian and a bear-ish guy. But, um, *awkward pause* I've read that story before (Sleigh Ride), and though this book also combines a snowed in scenario, it didn't have enough umph or bring much new to the table.

I also didn't b
Catherine
Smiling is the worst.

Scratch that.

The cute librarian whose dimples show when he smiles at Simon is the worst.

Who does that?!

A few days before Christmas, Simon Powell, Silver Pine’s sexy, mysterious recluse is forced to come into town for supplies. He figures he’ll just pop into the grocery store and grab some food, pop into the library to ogle the new librarian grab a few books, and he’ll be home before the storm blows in and the roads are closed.

Thing don’t exactly go according to plan, howe
Nick Pageant
Shelves: m-m
This was super cute. A gruff lumberjack falls hard for a librarian at Christmastime. It's a perfect little holiday read that will make you smile and feel all snuggly.

One star deduction for a particularly egregious fade to black.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
Vivian
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ng, fr, romance-contemp
Cabin story, stranded in the middle of winter.

Unfortunately, I've read a lot of stories, and this one played a well-known trope in which the execution didn't work for me. There's an array of cliches to make the reader go "awww", but they are mentioned too quickly, so that they seemed less tangible. The pacing makes it feel superficial. Then, an awkward leap from the characters circling to engaging. Very awkward. Additionally, the beast references really didn't work for me. Then, tease, tease...
BWT (Belen)
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmass / Fluff lovers
3.5 Stars

Simon Powell is an ex-Navy SEAL who's been a bit of a recluse for more than a decade for, in his mind, some pretty good reasons. Yet he's drawn to new town librarian, Adam Parker, every time he comes down from "Ogre Hill" into town.

Neither man is sure if the other is gay, but when a snowstorm forces the two to spend more time than they ever have together before they learn more about each other, and themselves, than they knew.

My only complaint is when the sexy times come around and begi
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I'm a sucker and loved this one.

I don't know what it had that some of the other Christmas stories didn't but, whatever it is, it had it.

It wasn’t heavy on the sex, at all really, but that didn’t take a bit away from the story.

Maybe it was the fact that I felt both boys truly felt what was happening and I BELIEVED it.

Sara
Every stupid Christmas movie he’d ever seen suddenly made sense. The magic was real.

Yup, the cliché and every stupid Christmas movie is why I read Christmas stories. I say it over and over again but I love them. They are magic, the give me the right amount of feels and they are given special treatment because of the magic.

I’ll be brief since this is a short story… Simon and Adam both fancy one another but neither man has done anything about it or knows if they swing the same way. Mild flir
Makhda
My goodness. That was so sweet!

Simon is really protective with Adam without realizing it. And Adam just keep drawn to Simon since the first time he met him. Mismatched couple. But it worked. :))

(view spoiler)

*Copy was kindly provided by the publisher through Netgalley for an honest review*
V
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I love a silent, serious types and if he's a Lumberjack bear he gets extra points.
Super cute and lovely short Christmas story.
Tess
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it

This is about an ogre (well, he's more of a grouchy bear) and a somewhat geeky, but cute, librarian. It's a cute Christmas short.
Didi
I'm of a mind that nothing could go wrong with Holiday's story. Well, at least for this one, it applied. I even overlooked editing issue here and there, a couple of missing details, and the grand gesture on the plot. Consider this a nice surprise from a new-to-me author Gwen Hayes! *wink*

Simon Powell was a SEAL, injured on duty and relocated himself to a remote cabin in the woods in small town Silver Pines, Washington. He's known as "the Ogre of the Hill". Ever since Adam Parker took over as the
Bitchie
This was a really cute, schmaltzy holiday read. It doesn't really bring anything new to this very familiar trope, but it was enjoyable for what it was.
namericanwordcat
There is a sweetness to this Christmas romance. However, the warm and cold between the heroes gets a bit dull.

Denise H.
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***** My, my, my, this is a fabulous Christmas story !!! ***** Adam is the new Librarian, and has been pining for the burly, manly-man Simon, "sigh"... Simon is a recluse who comes to town to deliver chopped wood, and get books to read.

In the beginning of a bad snow storm, Simon warns Adam to stay home, to not go to visit relatives, because the roads are horrible. Adam tries to leave town, ends up in the ditch, and Simon takes him home to his place, a cabin in the woods. Delicious sexual tensi
* N aka Nikki
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute story, but the fade to black sex was a serious issue for me.
Michelle
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this. I have been on the search for a m/m romance for a while and just have struggled to find one that works well for me. I had high hopes with this short novella.

Simon, an ex-Navy SEAL, recluse has a minor crush on the town’s new librarian but a past that he hasn’t let go of yet. Not until one night puts Adam in his path and eventually his bed.

Adam moved to the Small town of Silver Pines for a fresh start and a way to start his future. He knows that Simon isn’t exactly a peopl
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

I'm on the fence for this one... I've read a lot of romances with martyr/self-guilt attitude and Simon's was pretty believable that I didn't end up being annoyed at him at all. But the whole relationship built felt a bit forced and not flowing smoothly. The change from reclusive Simon to "I am sorry for everything, I don't want to hurt you, here's my grand gesture" Simon failed to convince me. I just didn't get their chemistry. Maybe if the author adds more pages to this, it
Amy
Shelves: holiday-reads
Sexy librarian and brawny lumberjack with tons of emotional baggage snowed in together? Yes, please! I really enjoyed Simon and Adam. Yes it was a bit cliche. And yes there was some serious instalove, but I love holiday romance so I really don't care. Very cute short story!!
Elsbeth

*2,5 stars*

Nah, this didn't work for me at all.... I couldn't connect with Simon and Adam.
Sad, but true..
Leaundra
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...
Jen Davis
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Christmas m/m novella hit just the right notes for me. It features a growly, reclusive lumberjack and the new town librarian. It’s short, but unlike many novellas, it didn’t feel rushed. I liked both heroes and it even had just the right touch of holiday cheer.

Simon is a former Navy SEAL, nursing some serious emotional wounds. He has retreated into a solitary life. He lives in a cabin he built himself, just outside of a small town. He rarely ventures out, just enough to keep up with supplie
Vanessa theJeepDiva
The librarian and the lumberjack and the first of many Merry Christmas together. Simon is paying a penance for an incident that was not his fault. If anyone was wronged it was Simon. Simon however has stayed in his cabin as much as possible. He has kept to himself even though the residents of Silver Pines have welcomed him with open arms. Even Adam the new librarian in town has taken interest in silent giant. In all honesty Adam has more than an interest. Adam has a big ole sweet crush on Simon. ...more
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
This was a first for me by this author. I liked it enough for a novella. I like Christmas stories. I did feel like the author left so much open with the characters. Simon was a broody ogre. Sure it only took him a few minutes to get out of his self discovery phase. I feel like if this was the first time that him and Adam got together than it doesn't read like it. Sure they know each other from town, but it just seem like a little bit more of an acquaintance for me. I would have liked it longer, ...more
Lelyana
This is such a nice, fluffy story, good for Holiday season, while miracles happens.
I loved Adam and Simon's dynamic , even I wanted to slap Adam in Christmas morning.
And I loved Stella and her animals :) She's really something.
This short story is enjoyable, sweet, light, without the need to make wrinkles on your forehead.
I'm looking forward to read this author's other books.
Recommended !
Juxian
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-like
1,5 stars. I didn't hate it. It was just kinda meh.
Jules Lovestoread
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! Adorable! Fabulous Christmas romance. Full review coming to www.thenovelapproachreviews.com
Britt Marczak
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this! I wish it had been longer, but it was stil cute and emotional at the same time. Can't wait for more in the series :)
Evandro Roberto
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, lgbt
I wish this was longer because I really enjoyed the characters and their relationship.
~❤️Minnie❤️~
***Book provided by Gwen Hayes for an honest review posted at Gay Book Reviews

I requested this book because the description reminded me of another story and I wanted to know if it was as good as the one I read. Well I can safely say that it was. I think the author did a good job in touching my heart and making me fall in love with this characters. I think they were perfect for each other and that they complimented the other in different ways.

What I didn’t like was that it was a really short stor
Rebekah Weatherspoon
DNF'd at 53%

I wasn't going to say anything about this book, but I feel compelled to. This fluffy novella takes a super weird turn at the point where you think the heroes will be crossing the "will they, won't they" line. This scene involves Simon giving a bit of his personal history and the F-slur is dropped 3 times in 3 paragraphs. I understand the realities of the world and I know that people use the F-slur, but I just don't see the point of using it in this context in a Christmas novella. It
« previous 1 3 next »

• Late Bloomer
  • Champagne Kisses
  • Found At the Library (Found, #1)
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Dear Ruth (2017 Advent Calendar Daily - Stocking Stuffers)
  • Humbug
  • Gaudete
  • Christmas Delights
  • Once in a Snowstorm (Nortown, #1)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Rebound (Heartwarming)
  • Desperately Seeking Santa
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Devin December
Gwen Hayes (that’s me) lives in the Pacific Northwest with her real life hero and a pack of wild beasts (two of whom she gave birth to).

She is a reader, writer, and lover of pop culture (which, other than yogurt, is the only culture she gets).

Gwen also edits kissing books.

Silver Pines (4 books)
  • Need You Tonight (Silver Pines, #2)
  • When It's Love: A Silver Pines Christmas
  • Take On Me (Silver Pines Book # 4)