Start by marking “Old Green World” as Want to Read:
Old Green World

Read Book* *Different edition

Old Green World

The apocalypse happened 4000 years ago. A forest now covers the world. In its shadow, Albert, an immigrant military prodigy, falls in love with Thomas, a boy he can never marry. Their island nation flourishes, led by strange monks called the Adepts-who have power over matter and the mind-and their holy figures, the mysterious Old People. The Adepts are building an army to ...more
Published October 28th 2015 by Craft Fiction (first published May 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Old Green World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Green World

Start your review of Old Green World
Jackie
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-authors, sci-fi
Old Green World is an unusual tale. It tells the story of a couple of boys who are finding their way in a world that is our own, but far in the future, at a time when things are both simpler and much more complex. Along the way they experience love and anger, justice and crime, war and redemption, the mundane world and magic. In fact, magic swirls through the world like dust in a sunbeam, always there, but not always obvious unless you know to look for it.

The most important theme of the book, I
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
* This ARC was provided by NetGalley *

Old Green World has a very interesting premise. It definitely grabbed my attention when I read the synopsis while browsing through NetGalley. It sounded like something unlike anything I had ever read before, especially within the LGBTQ+ genre. As intriguing as it sounded and as much as I really wanted to enjoy this book, that just simply was not the case.

This story opens with two boys named Albert and Thomas, 4000 years from now, who are both preparing for
Brigi
I tried really, REALLY hard, but had to give up at 65%. The blurb was so promising, but sadly, this book became more and more incomprehensible with every page.

So, let's see, a short summary. It's 4000 years after the Apocalypse, the Earth is covered in forest. Albert and Thomas, two young men, are good friends who are living in a small town, in civilization. They love each other, but are not permitted to be together, because Thomas belongs to the Adepts, the leading class of these people.
ѦѺ™
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, favorites
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

in the island nation of Eden-town, civilization is flourishing. the Adepts and the Old People have seen to this through their instruction, guidance and protection. Albert Todorov and Thomas Newton are two of its citizens. they are in love but their respective ranks in society set them apart and they could never hope to marry. meanwhile, the Adepts are preparing for war against the wild inhabitants of Terra Baixa.
Susan Schorn
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a gorgeous post-apocalyptic novel, along the lines of Russell Hoban's classic Riddley Walker, but without the veil of decayed language that Hoban lays over his story. Basho writes much more directly, with an eye for beautiful images and moments of stillness. This is a good thing, because the world his characters inhabit is complicated and threatening, and it's hiding an awful lot. I found I really needed the breathing space provided by the prose in order to absorb the many plot twists.

Kate
*Review given in exchange for ARC from Netgalley*

Turns out that even over 4000 years into the future, the English still hate the French and the French still hate the English.

Old Green World introduces a community of (apparently) giants who live a vaguely medieval lifestyle where teachings are dictated by a vague idea of a perfect "civilization" they must achieve, as well as preperations for a vague war against the people on the other side of the Channel. And there's some vague magic, or probaby
El
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3 out of 5

The summary made me believe this would be a romance, but I would say the romance was secondary to the philosophy. This was not my usual read, but it was still lyrical and full of gorgeous imagery. And the basic thread of romance, of understanding what love truly means, winds its way through the entire plot.

I'm reminded of Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. This was a novel where magic and science blended seamlessly
Lee Parker
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads

This was a very unusual story. It was well written and had interesting moments, but it was a bit all over the place. However the character development was very good. Definitely worth reading once, but doesn't really have any reread value.
Polly Krize
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Far in our future, this world may exist. The discoveries of two friends on a journey through this world make for an unusual tale. Descriptive and carefully written, Walter Basho provides a magical look at possibilities and redemption. Recommended reading.
Kayden Kendrick
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty dang good

This book was great! I can't wait for another installment. There is some strong language. I would definitely recommend this to young LGBTQ+ teens who enjoy fantasy.
Matthew
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-lust
Review to come! I've got a lot to say!
Megan
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Hmmmmm. An odd one. Review to follow.
Paul
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, dnf
I will try and re-read this as I could only get to about 45% read before having to give up...
Oliver
Feb 06, 2016
Gargeya Vunnava
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was too good. I loved it. Alas! but i lost it somewhere.
Sarah Unicorn
Dec 22, 2015
Mike C
Jun 10, 2015
J
rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2015