Start by marking “Love Double Dutch!” as Want to Read:

Love Double Dutch!

From the creator of the popular Disney Channel original movie, Jump In! comes a double Dutch novel perfect for fans of stories about sports, summer, and friendship.

Brooklyn middle-schooler MaKayla can only think about one thing--taking her double Dutch team all the way to the National Jump-off at Madison Square Garden. That is, until her mother breaks the news. Kayla has t
Published April 3rd 2018 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Love Double Dutch!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Double Dutch!

Start your review of Love Double Dutch!
Ms. Yingling
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
E ARC graciously provided by author upon request

Kayla and her friends jump double dutch and plan to spend the summer in their Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood preparing for the National Jump-off at Madison Square garden. Kayla knows she's good enough, so when her parents, who have been fighting a lot, tell her that they are sending her to her aunt's in North Carolina for the summer, she's crushed. There's nothing to be done, however, and Kayla and her little brother Cameron are ensconced at their
Cynthia
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I read this book because as a girl I spent countless hours playing double dutch with my friends, so the title drew me in. However, this book was about much more than jumping rope. It was about the dynamics of friendships, feeling caught between bickering parents and trying to be the best at something you love. This will make a great addition to any middle school classroom library.
Allegra
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended by my daughter who called me upstairs one morning to say "This book is 100% awesome." and then brought it to me when she was done to lend it to me. All grown-up!
Heather
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book talks about overcoming problems and creating friendships and renewing them. I loved how it got personal. Kayla has a lot of obstacles but she overcomes every single one with help from Sally, Mellisa, and Tina. If your thinking about reading this, you definitely should.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
The competitive world of double dutch is fascinating.
Barbara
3.5 for me on this one. Middle grader MaKayla Mac has her dreams of winning the National Jump-off with her double Dutch team dashed when her parents send her away from her Brooklyn home so that they can work on their relationship. Kayla is not particularly fond of the South, North Carolina or her snooty cousin, Sally. It takes a while for Kayla to adjust even while her younger brother is having a blast. Things get a lot easier when her aunt sends Sally and Kayla to a day camp where Kayla cobbles ...more
Venessa
In LOVE DOUBLE DUTCH, MaKayla’s summer is upended when her parents decided to send her and her younger brother to stay with her aunt and uncle in North Carolina while her parents work on their issues back home in New York. Angry and miserable to be missing out on the opportunity to take her double Dutch team to the Nationals at Madison Square Gardens (her dream), MaKayla learns that outside of NY, double Dutch is thriving in the south.

I'm torn on how to rate LOVE DOUBLE DUTCH. Things I liked: M
Michelle Kidwell
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

by Doreen Spicer-Dannelly
Random House Children's

Random House Books for Young Readers
Children's Fiction
Pub Date 03 Apr 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Love Double Dutch through Random House Children's and Netgalley:

Makayla is a Brooklyn Middle Schooler who has her mind on only one thing taking her team to the National Jump off at Madison square garden. But when her Mother tells her she will be going to her aunt's house in North Carolina while her parents try to work out their probl
Kimberly
Love Double Dutch! is a story that shows the power of determination and teamwork! How to turn a not so good situation into a positive one! Kayla's world is turned upside down when she has to leave her home for the summer and miss an opportunity she has been working so hard for! But Kayla soon finds that sometimes good things can come out of difficult situations and that there is a reason for everything that happens in life! Kayla uses double Dutch to cope with the problems and issues in her life ...more
Olivia
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun summer read that will introduce readers to the competitive world of Double Dutch. Kayla is a fish out of water in NC, having grown up in Brooklyn. When her parents are having marital problems, she and her brother are shipped off to stay with her aunt and uncle and cousins. She’s never gotten along with her cousin Sally, but they bond over their shared love of Double Dutch. Rivalry with Sally’s former team is a great motivation and distraction and they find themselves in the regional champi ...more
Heather Brown
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Double Dutch! has a very authentic voice. MaKayla has to leave her home in Brooklyn for the summer in order to give her parents time to work some things out. She and her brother head to North Carolina to visit family. What could have been a stressful time turns out to be lots of fun when MaKayla and her cousin Sally make a double dutch team with Brooklyn attitude and North Carolina style. I would recommend to all of my students.
Michele Knott
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The middle school crowd will enjoy this book - it has just enough heart and just enough middle school drama for its readers. I enjoyed learning more about double Dutch through this read.
Maria Antonia
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Basic plot: Kayla can’t wait to go to the National Jump-off at Madison Square Garden with her Double Dutch team. But with her parents always fighting, she and her brother have to spend the summer in North Carolina while they work out their problems. That’s when Kayla joins up with her cousin to create their own Double Dutch squad. But they have some hefty competition. The cousin’s ex-best friends…

WHAT’S COOL…
1) Kayla is Brooklyn-cool! Yep. She’s definitely got attitude. But in a good way. I used
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Love Double Dutch by Doreen Spicer-Dannelly, 234 pages. Random House, 2018. $17

Language: PG (6 swears, 0 “f”); Content: PG; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Kayla's parents are having some tough times (Dad cheats and Mom appreciates loyalty) so they send their two Brooklynite children down to North Carolina for the summer while they work things out, one way or another. Kayla' s whole life revolves around Double Dutch Jump Roping. Her team has qualified to go t
Dominique
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. MaKayla is tough on the outside, but just as sweet as she wants on the inside, but with her parents possibly getting a divorce, there's no way she can put her guard down.

I loved the way you see a teen step back and observe there ways as they grow & mature. I can see why she held back, but Ivy should've gotten slapped many times!

Overall I love the way you see the bonds of family showcased through the book. Friendships & honesty are tested and spoken. Bullying is addressed and a positi
Dana Middleton
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, Double Dutch is a terrific read! Kayla loves double dutch more than almost anything but when she's sent off to live with her aunt's family in North Carolina, she thinks her double dutch dreams are dashed. Little does she know, they've just restarted. It's great to read a book about girls working together as a team. I'm glad I went on the journey with Kayla and her new friends, and recommend you do, too!
Amanda Sanders
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The main character in "Love Double Dutch", MaKayla, is arrogant and rude. I know teens test adults and talk back, but this is too much. Her inner thoughts don't always fit with her arrogant personality. The story set up had me thinking there were a bunch of different ways to solving the problems that are better than what they do in the book. The mean girls are more obnoxious than mean. The story is contrived. Although I did not enjoy the book, I do still think jump roping fans might.
Alyssa
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
LOVE DOUBLE DUTCH is unique and voicey, with a lot of heart. The inner thoughts of Kayla feel authentic, and I love her relationship with her cousin, Sally. The double dutch competition feels like a middle grade BRING IT ON remix, which is a lot of fun. There are some small instances that feel inconsistent or stilted, but overall I think my students are really going to enjoy this book.
Camilla Roper
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story of small-town friendship and changing allegiance within a rope-jumping competition that has the potential to lift kids out of their class and open up the world to them. Stories of interpersonal relations and changing friendships, a bit of first-loves, and the world of sports competition. Young teens will enjoy this story.
Sarah Easley
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some of the content was way too mature for the voice and themes. Slang was off too--narrator criticizes others for using outdated slang but talks about knuckle sandwiches? I couldn't help but feel like this would be more interesting as Sally's story.
Amy
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great clean fun. Wonderful to recommend to Middle grade readers.
Caroline
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book it was a fast and enjoyable read. I really like how the author wrote it and I loved how this could happen in real life. Because this was just an ordinary girl.
Britt
Read and reviewed for School Library Journal (issue 2018-02-01).

Gr 5–8—MaKayla is a girl from Brooklyn with only one thing on her mind: taking her Double Dutch team to the National Jump-Off at Madison Square Garden. That is, until her parents send her and her brother to stay with relatives in South Carolina so they can work on their relationship. MaKayla wonders how she'll survive the summer without Double Dutch and under the wrath of her cousin, Sally, who dumped the jump-roping game for ballet
Sienna