Start by marking “Flip-Flopped” as Want to Read:
Flip-Flopped

Flip-Flopped

3.04  ·  Rating details ·  421 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A charming story of single motherhood, a fierce custody battle, and a once dormant volcano that’s suddenly about to blow.

Hawaii may be the island of romance according to the travel brochures, but for Keeley Baker-Kekuhi, lately it’s been anything but. She’s broke, stuck in a dead-end job, studying an extinct volcano---and her husband, Kam, has just dumped her for a h
Published May 2nd 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 12th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Flip-Flopped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flip-Flopped

Iris
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I certainly enjoyed this book, but it was what I was looking for at the time. Something light and breezy. Nothing too complicated at all. I fully admit to not using my brain much during this reading, but I had a slight migraine and I was not tired enough to sleep. Not the authors best work, but still good.
Caitlin Moyer
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading Jill Smolinksi's "The Next Thing on My List," I was very eager to read more by this author so I picked up "Flip-Flopped."

While it was a good, easy read, I found this novel harder to get into, perhaps because I felt distanced from all of the characters. Usually in a chick-lit type book, I can relate to the heroine or main character, but in this case, I was very detached from her.

The book also had a number of different themes running throughout--with plot lines pertaining to everythi
Trudy
Jun 22, 2008 rated it liked it
If you like chick lit... this is pretty good. The story of a mainlander, Keely, that goes to Hawaii to study volcanos and meets, has a kid with, and marries a native Hawaiin. Hubby (Kam) cheats... so they are in the middle of a divorce... sometimes nasty, sometimes sweet... Keely meets Ian while in line to get Davy Jones' autograph... The guy I was rooting for didn't win which makes me a little sad, but it was entertaining... easy, and cute/quirky and throw in a fairly extinct volcano acting up ...more
Juliane
Habe mich bis Seite 65 durchgequält, dann aufgegeben. Eindeutig nicht mein Fall!
Julias Leseecke
Inhalt:
Keeley ist Vulkanologin auf Hawaii. Sie hat sich von ihrem untreuen Ehemann getrennt, den sie jung geheiratet hat. Nun geht es um die Scheidung und das Sorgerecht des kleinen Sohnes. Sie beschließt, sich nicht mehr zu verlieben, hat der Liebe abgeschworen.
Zudem steht ihr geliebter Vulkan kurz vor dem Ausbruch und sie lernt den charmanten Ian kennen.

Meine Meinung:
Ich habe vor langer Zeit "Die Wunschliste" von der Autorin gelesen und konnte mich erinnern, dass ich das Buch richtig klasse f
mandyfujita
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The character of Keeley Baker-Kekuhi was hard for me to cheer for. There are parts of her that I enjoyed reading about like her interaction with Ian Gardiner, the artist rep that is attracted to her. Even her best friend Regatta who made Keeley her maid of honor is funny to read about. What I didn't like was her relationship with her soon to be ex-husband, Kam, who moved in with his girlfriend and is trying for full custody of their child, Dante.

I realize that the story is named Flip-Floopped,
Sara Strand
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
So the book, to me, has a very similar love story as The Next Thing On My List, so much so that I could already tell the ending. Normally I would hate this, but this was such a relatable story for me that I overlooked it and kept reading. Totally glad I did because there was a few twists in it, but overall it was good. The thing that was distracting to me was the secondary story of this damn volcano that I think took away from the main storyline. That's just me though. Basically it's about a wom ...more
JoAnne
Keeley is a married woman with a four year old son. She is a volcanologist working on a dormant volcano. She starts seeing signs of life from the volcano. Her boss does not care and her job is stressing her out. He is switching her to the PR dept. Her husband left her for another woman and they are divorcing. Kam decides her wants full custody and then he is moving to Fiji (from Hawaii). Then she meets Ian. He is a great guy but lied to her about knowing Davy Jones (from the Monkees). There is a ...more
Leesh
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was warned by most reviews that the books wasn't that great. Many liked the beginning but said the rest was a bore. I agree with this. I really enjoyed the start, it got me intrigued but then when a new guy came into the picture, I lost interest. This is mainly because I liked Keeley and Kam together. I kept on reading because I was rooting for them. Not to give too much away, I was quite disappointed with the ending. What helped me get through this book was I had actors in mind as I read from ...more
Selene Gudino
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2009
Not really what i was expecting. Kinda fools you but you can still know the end since the begining. This book can surely work as a beach reading while you watch the kids or something, but if you have just a little time to read i urge you not to chose this one. Is light and sometimes kindda funny, but i really expected more. Is not bad though, read it if you have it. I think the author have a lot of potencial, this is my first read of her, but im looking forward to read THE NEXT THING ON MY LIST.
Alenna
Nov 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
I have never been a book quitter... I just couldn't do it. But I gave this book 10 pages to grab my attention, to proceed from one thought to the next understandably and to get me interested in the characters. It didn't pass the test.
So I'm starting a new thing for 2014 - no more reading books that I don't like. (I still don't think I'll be able to quit a book halfway through, but I'm not going to force myself to read something just because I've read a chapter or two and it sucks.) Life is too
Heather Hamilton
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, probably because it has plenty of heart-wrenching spots. You all know I love a good tragedy. I actually stayed up all night and read it in one sitting. That fact alone warrants an extra star. This is my second novel by Jill Smolinski. She's going on my read-everything-she-writes list.

There were plenty of items for me to critique, but none of them were that annoying and none of them even stilted the speed/flow with which I was reading, so who cares what they are?
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Keeley originally headed to Hawaii to study volcanoes but ended up marrying a local and settling down to raise a child with him. The pace of their world is slow and relaxed. But when her husband moves out with a hula dancer and wants to take their child with him, Keeley needs to join the fight and fast.

Good holiday read, with some funny lines and scenes, but some of the characters didn't really ring true, and it was hard to see why she would want Kam back.
Julee
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sehr entäuschendes Buch. da wollte ich nur mal was seichtes nebenbei lesen und es stellt sich als sehr langweilig und nichtssagend herraus. Vielleicht liegt es daran, das ich noch keine eigenen Kinder habe, Scheidungen mich bisher nicht interressieren, Hawaii für mich total unspanned uns und ein Vulkanausbruch das Buch auch nicht rettet. Dabei bin ich mit großen Erwartungen an das Buch rann gegangen. Denn ihr erster Roman "Die Wunschliste" ist soooo schön.
Jen
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
Entertaining but not great. Not memorable. Seemed to take much longer to read than other chick lit of as many pages. Lots of themes and metaphors that made sense in conjunction with the story, so in a literary sense I guess you could say it was good in the way it drew solid parallels. Not reminiscent of The Next Thing on My List at all, though.
Danette
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I think I read this before so I'm stopping at page 50 and skimming the rest.

Found my review from 2006:

Transplant to Hawaiian life, Kelly tries to understand her ex, convince people a volcano is doing the improbable and getting ready to explode, and to learn to date again. Very funny look at life in Hawaii.
Margaret
Aug 10, 2011 added it
Shelves: 2007
A fun read and I think the title was appropriate - Keeley flip-flopped considerably on what to do in her life but it all worked out in the end. Everyone in the book had odd names - Keeley, Kam, Dante, Regatta and even her quirky lawyer. I loved the setting of Hawaii and the volcano sub-plot and also Keeley's obsession with Davy Jones of the Monkees!
Nov 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ugh, I thought a book about Hawaii would be great. The only thing I remember from this book involves the scene with the man bringing peas into the ocean for the fish to eat it. I actually had frozen peas in my fridge and tried to feed my fish. Needless to say, doesn't really translate from aquariums from the ocean.
K
Jan 28, 2010 added it
Shelves: my-library
this was a hard book for me to get into. I read several books while reading this one. I must have not read the exerpt and bought it because of the cover pic :) because I had no idea it was a Hawaiian themed book.
Maria
Jul 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
After 50 pages of this book, I abandoned it. I couldn't get interested in the characters or the storyline. For "chick lit", I thought it was lame. I don't say that about many books. Oh well, life is way too short to read books I am not interested in!
Kellie Mackrell
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
I started this book nearly 3 weeks ago and have managed less than 100 pages. I never quit reading books in case they get better but this is one I will not be finishing. I am not enjoying it one bit and find I am putting it down with disinterest after every page.
Carol katz
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute chick lit set in Hawaii. Frothy and fun.
Liz
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read about half of this "chic lit" book...and stopped b/c I just didn't care anymore. Sigh...
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Not a bad book for most of it but there were parts I just got bored of. I did finish this and enjoyed it while it was snowing here in Alberta, Canada so it kept my mind busy.
Ashley Smith
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
It was a pretty fun and easy read.
Briana Alzola
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book actually had more depth than I expected. I expected an airhead hanging out on the beach. But instead I got real characters (some airheads) living in Hawaii. I enjoyed it.
Diane
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this lighthearted read. Great, original writing. I'll be looking for more books by this author.
JenniferB
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2009
Cute but not great. Luckily it was a pretty quick read.
Dulce
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chic-lit, reality
I didn't really enjoy the book. The theme was quite realistic and different with Hawaiian culture background. Though I did not enjoy the authors writing style and the briefness.
Kelley
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kelley by: Emily
Shelves: chick-lit
Very fun. I remember trying not to giggle when I was in the bus:)
  • Getting Warmer
  • The Art of Undressing
  • Balancing in High Heels
  • Once Upon A Blind Date
  • The Single Wife
  • She, Myself & I
  • Roommates
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Insider Dating
  • Secret Confessions of the Applewood PTA
  • Wish
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
  • Where Is He Now?
  • Like Mother, Like Daughter (Red Dress Ink)
  • Simply Sexy
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • Suburbanistas
  • Sleeping with Ward Cleaver
I am the author of the novels Objects of My Affection, The Next Thing on My List and Flip-Flopped. I love calling in to book clubs, so visit my web site if you're reading one of my books and would like me to join in the discussion.
More about Jill Smolinski...