Start by marking “The Good People Of New York” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Good People Of New...

Thisbe Nissen

The Good People Of New York

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  685 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
From a thrillingly talented 28-year-old newcomer - the Anne Tyler for a new generation, yet with a distinctive voice and quirky sensibility all of her own - comes a contemporary novel that brings to life a few of the 'good people of New York' and renders them in all their neurotic glory. When Roz Rosenzweig, self-described spitfire and loud n' proud New York Jew, meets Edw ...more
Published July 4th 2002 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Good People Of New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good People Of New York

Emily
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel begins by telling the story of how Jewish native New Yorker Roz and Protestant transplant from Nebraska Eddie met, fell in love, and got married, but story really begins to soar when it starts to focus on their daughter Miranda's coming of age. In a largely character-driven novel such as this one, where there is very little if any plot to speak of, the characters need to be genuine, dynamic and deeply drawn, and they are. Nissen succeeds where many other meandering tales of someone's ...more
Melissa
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Good People of New York, Thisbe Nissen presents the story of Roz and her daughter Miranda. While the initial focus of the story is on Roz and her circle of friends in New York, this expands to include Miranda, especially as she becomes an adolescent. The story is light and sometimes humorous and it is a nice, easy read. In addition, it presents a picture of everyday, non-glitzy New York beginning in the 1970s.
Tyra
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a huge page turner for me but it was an okay read all in all. The characters weren't developed enough but it passed the time. I was actually trying to read a different book of hers The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook: They Came, They Cooked, They Left (But We Ended Up with Some Great Recipes) but my library doesn't carry it
Andrea Paul Amboyer
A story about the creation, unraveling, and eventual redefinition of a family in New York. It has some bolder story lines in relation to a rather young girl's choices about sex but I think the characters are real and for the most part quite likeable. I enjoy the complicated nature of Nissen's plots and tangled picture she paints of romance and attraction.
Sarah Hannah
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thisbe Nissen writes how I want to write. This is nowhere near as good as her collection of stories, and it took a long time to get to interesting, but I loved it more and more as it went on. Miranda's story is far more interesting than Roz's, so once we got to her I was hooked.
Megan
Dec 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chick-fiction! Great break from life in this book. Romance, upset teenagers, divorce; you name the chick-like drama; its probably in there.
Rose
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2011
This is one of those rare books that sneaks up on you and speaks to your whole self in such a way that you're still thinking about the characters after you've finished.
Natalie Grange
May 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ehh. The beginning seemed promising, but by the end I just wanted to smack all the selfish characters. I should have put this book in the give away bag before I opened it up.
Jess
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mother and daughters, book clubs
Shelves: genre-humor
This was definitely one of those books that lies on your shelf until you almost give it away, then when you take the time to read it, it surprises the heck out of you.

The novel begins with Roz Rosenzweig, a snarky and cynical New York Jew, crawling on her hands and knees outside of her friend's apartment for a key in the bushes, where she meets her future husband, the Nebraska-born Edwin Anderson. Roz is no-nonsense and doesn't take anything too seriously, including, at first, Edwin. But Edwin's
Jaclyn
Aug 04, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaclyn by: found it on the library shelf
Mike
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Actually I would give this three-and-a-half stars if the system allowed such finer levels of delineation.] This book turned out to be an unexpected surprise and pleasure. I simply found it at random, by chance, on the shelf at the library, and decided to check it out and give it a try. I'm glad I did. No doubt the author's distinctive, unusual, rare and very unique, intriguing first name drew me in as well. I've never before come across anyone named Thisbe. (The author, by the way, is another p ...more
Margaret
Roz and Edwin are an unlikely match. She is an outgoing, Jewish, Manhattan girl four years older than Edwin. Edwin is quiet, Protestant and Nebraska-born. But they complement each other in spite of those differences and manage to work through their marriage until their daughter, Miranda, enters fifth grade. After a fairly amicable divorce, Miranda and Roz wend their way through the mother-daughter relationship as they tell each other everything, keep secrets from each other, lean on each other, ...more
Jenny
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read, with great insight into what it's like to grow up in New York (I think), as well as an accurate portrayal of a mother-daughter relationship, and of friendships and other relationships as well. The author does a skillful job of covering a lot of ground, time-wise, and the characters seem authentic at every age: Miranda at twelve is different from Miranda at 15 and from Miranda at 18. Though we stay with Miranda and Roz throughout the story, other characters (with the exce ...more
Risa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced book with some insightful moments. I bought it because one of my favorite authors, Elinor Lipman, gave it such an enthusiastic blurb. Not sure it hangs together in the end, and my guess is that one's overall reaction to it will have much to do with where one is in one's one life at the moment. To wit: I loved the mother; the teenage daughter who takes over the narrative midway through - I wanted to just shake her and shout, "Get Over Yourself! Stop being so self-involved and so rude ...more
Erin
Aug 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read this on vacation as it was on our host's bookshelf. I had wanted to read it when it first came out and Thisbe Nissen was new wunderkind, girl author of the moment.

For a 2nd novel, it is very well developed. I loved the characters and the general story development. As it focuses on a mother/daughter relationship, I would say that it is a bit more of "chick" book, though not in the Bridget Jones sense.
Lindsey
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading The Good People of New York by Thisbe Nissen this afternoon. This book was truly a mother-daughter story of Roz and Miranda. The book starts when Roz meets Miranda's father, Edwin, and continues to follow the life of Roz and Miranda after Roz and Edwin divorce. Nothing truly Earth shattering happens in this story, but overall, I really did enjoy it. And, I appreciated at the end that Miranda finally understood and appreciated her mom for who she was.
Michael
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I didn't think people wrote "New York" novels any more but I was wrong. It's a pleasant, light read. Meaning, at least partly, that I'm not sure why it was written. The characters come alive most of the time, and the narrative is strong enough to pull you into the next chapter. The biggest failing is the elisions in character development. For example, it's never quite clear what is at the root of the core conflict between Roz and Miranda. I enjoyed reading it, but I'm not sure why.
Linda
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I got this one at the library. While I want to like it, and have it remind me of New York in a wistful way, the author uses about 30 descriptive words per sentence making it hard to follow. Even though the descriptions are kind of funny, it's overkill to use so many all at once, time after time. I might end up ditching it and starting something else.
Marian
I picked this book up on whim at the library one day and I'm very glad I did. The mother-daughter relationship in this book is very unique and makes for an interesting read. I liked that we got to see glimpses of the characters over the years, to see how they grew and developed. If you like family drama with romance in between then this is the book for you.
Megan
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out strong, but I thought it got weaker as it went along. The chapters showed snapshots of a mother/daughter relationship throughout the daughter's life. I liked that it took place in New York City, but I really wished that the author had been more descriptive. I never got attached to either of the main characters and I wished that the story was not as choppy as it was.
Linda
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's that when I tried to get to reading this book, it was too late at night so I couldn't fully get into it or appreciate it, but I didn't even finish it. I disliked it that much. I couldn't get in to the characters or the story. I got it off the library shelves on a whim- sometimes those picks go well, sometimes (like this one) they fall flat).
Alex
Oct 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I only read the first two pages of this book. But they were so unbearably awful that I couldn't read more. Run-on sentences, too many clauses, overuse and misuse of modifiers (a skirt was "irrevocably short"), and similes that are hardly that ("like gawkers at a rooftop suicide"), all in some vain attempt at wit. Don't even bother.
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thisbe Nissen develops characters in this book solely by making them Jewish. This explains why Miranda is half as well-developed as a character as Roz, and why Edwin is just a ghostly plot-furthering device. I might have given 3 stars to an all-Roz novel, or a short story about Miranda, but switching back and forth between the two didn't work for me.
Lori
Jun 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007june
An interesting perspective on linear storytelling. The book does travel straight through time, but between chapters, jumps forward varying amounts. You never quite get the whole story -- the end of one chapter approaches climax and then you're two months or two years or more ahead.

But the characters are interesting and the story is universal.
Mary
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might have given this four stars, but some of the chapters are in the past tense and some are the present tense (those about the daughter's perspective) and it switches back and forth. This is probably deep and wrought with significance, but as far as I am concerned it was just distracting.
Andy Plonka
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the book I thought I was getting. I expected a read alike for S. J. Boltonand ir is nothing like her books but an interesting take on the generations that grew up in the 70's, 80's and 90's in New York and small town America.
Kelly
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just get a great feeling from this book - not sure exactly why but Thisbe just does a great job of getting a good feel out of the characters. One of the few contemp books that I can read and feel like what I'm reading is really well-written fiction. Really really enjoyed this book.
Heather
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2016-reads
Another tale of the complicated nature of mother/daughter relationships and life in general. This book actually helped me relax about the nature of my own relationship with my teenaged daughter. Such a complicated beast of emotions, turf, and independence.
Nisi
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been in my top five books since I've been in high school. A nice amount time is covered with these characters- and yet it feels perfectly paced. One of the few mother daughter stories out there that don't get too sappy or too horiffic.
Doris
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apparently this book was not very memorable as I read it again and did not realize that I had read it before. Wouldn't change my rating of it either. Was not fond of the time jumps in the story and how it felt like some parts of the story were left hanging when the time jumped.
  • A Seat at the Table: A Novel of Forbidden Choices
  • Something is Out There
  • Almost
  • Life Force
  • We Are All Fine Here
  • Talk Stories
  • Resuscitation (Sami Rizzo #2)
  • Ladies with Options
  • Wonderful Town: New York Stories from The New Yorker
  • Jumping The Queue
  • Welcome to My Planet: Where English Is Sometimes Spoken
  • The Last Days of Disco, with Cocktails at Petrossian Afterward
Thisbe Nissen is the author of the story collection, Out of the Girls' Room and into the Night, and two novels, The Good People of New York and Osprey Island. She also co-authored-and-collaged The Ex-Boyfriend Cookbook with Erin Ergenbright. Thisbe's work is forthcoming, or has recently been published in Story Quarterly, The Virginia Quarterly, Glimmer Train, and The Cincinnati Review. She's taugh ...more
More about Thisbe Nissen...