Start by marking “Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  10 reviews
You love to argue about the game and its players, delving into baseball history and lore in search of support for your points of view. You'll find plenty of food for thought -- and argument! -- in Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups.
• All-time Red Sox starting pitcher -- Pedro or the Rocket?
• Gold Glovers -- who looked like one, who was one, and w
Published June 2nd 2003 by Touchstone (first published May 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups

Moneyball by Michael LewisBall Four by Jim BoutonThe Boys of Summer by Roger KahnShoeless Joe by W.P. KinsellaThe Natural by Bernard Malamud
Best Baseball Books
154th out of 432 books — 464 voters
Moneyball by Michael LewisFriday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Blind Side by Michael LewisFever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Top reads for sports fans
421st out of 537 books — 525 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard
The saddest thing about baseball books is how quickly they become dated when trying to capture the historical and the recent. Rob Neyer's book is no exception, but Rob is a magnificent student of the game who shares terrific info in the same manner as you'd want to chat sport with one of your friends (like Bill Simmons, but less funny - but then again, who isn't). It was terrific to be reminded of each team's greatest players along with Players who enjoyed incredibly great seasons while with a t ...more
Leslie
Rob Neyer is a baseball genius. Unlike other writers who present all kinds of complicated stats and leave the analysis up to the reader, Neyer does all the analysis and turns it into easy-to-understand narratives. Here’s hoping he publishes an updated edition.
Matt
Aug 17, 2010 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sports
A fun book and full of tons of good baseball stuff, but a little too granular for me to love it. I learned a lot of stuff, and I enjoyed especially the sections on the teams I knew more about, but I definitely enjoyed the sidebar anecdotes and mini-essays more than the actual meat of the book, the lineups (though those were good, too). I still like Neyer a lot, and I'm glad I read this one, but it was a lot to digest.
Arthur
Enjoyed. I've read Neyer's baseball column for 15 years and enjoyed this book almost as much. I would have preferred more focus on the modern era. I understand the whimsical appeal and literary oportunity of writing about pre-WW II baseball but sometimes nostalgia takes over.
Justin
Aug 21, 2009 Justin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: baseball nuts
Shelves: baseball
What you'd expect. Neyer's always fun. This one's largely lists of players with a few comments, but the sidebars and brief essays are enlightening and entertaining.
Doug
Jan 18, 2008 Doug rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sports
Without a doubt one of the coolest books ever. Neyer list lineups for every team. Best, worst, has beens, etc. Just plain fun.
Robert
If you are a nerd, and like reading about baseball statistics then sign up here.
Robert Crowley
this was a great book for imformation it was a little out of date though.
Abbas Saleem
i will heart anything by rob neyer
Jack
Fun book.
Kyle Robinson
Kyle Robinson marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Zachary Houghton
Zachary Houghton marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Jackie Nae
Jackie Nae marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
  • The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers: An Historical Compendium of Pitching, Pitchers, and Pitches
  • The Numbers Game: Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics
  • Baseball
  • The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O'Neil's America
  • The Pitch That Killed
  • The Science of Hitting
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • Juicing the Game: Drugs, Power, and the Fight for the Soul of Major League Baseball
  • The Catcher Was a Spy: The Mysterious Life of Moe Berg
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • Big Show: Inside ESPN's Sportscenter
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Sports Illustrated Baseball's Greatest
Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Legends: The Truth, the Lies, and Everything Else Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Blunders: A Complete Guide to the Worst Decisions and Stupidest Moments in Baseball History Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time Feeding the Green Monster: One Man's Season at Fenway Park Detroit the Unconquerable: The 1935 World Champion Tigers (The SABR Digital Library Book 23)