Start by marking “In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life” as Want to Read:
In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life

In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  1,132 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
In fifty short chapters arranged in six sections, Dr. Ferguson shows that Christ, who is fully God, took on humanity that He might be the Great High Priest of His people as well as the once-for-all sacrifice; that He now ministers to His people through His Spirit, crowning them with great and precious blessings; and that believers are called to duty, from cultivating conte ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Reformation Trust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about In Christ Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Christ Alone

Joseph Louthan
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I did not like about the book:the chapters rarely had anything to do with the previously chapter. That was a bit disconcerting to me until I read (back of the book or what have you) that this was a collection of series of articles for Tabletalk magazine. To which I remarked, "OOOOOhhhhhh."

Now I know the source, I can give this book a very favorable review.

Given the layout of the chapters, this book reads more like a devotion than anything else. I am not a huge fan of devotions becau
David Zimmerman
Although the author and I disagree on the reformed view of grace, that is not the reason for my rating. In Christ Alone seemed to be written to fill a niche that just isn't there. While overall doctrinally sound and adequately written, it just doesn't say anything that isn't already said elsewhere. It's content doesn't stand out. It pales in comparison to other similar works (a series of articles compiled into a single volume), such as "A Godward Life, Volume One" by John Piper. A Godward Life i ...more
Taylor Rollo
Excellent book that truly lives up to the title. I will probably start using this book in discipleship as well as recommending it for new Christians, "seasoned" Christians, and everyone in between.
Mark A Powell
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ferguson’s latest is a collection of 50 brief chapters that explore the person and work of Jesus Christ. Topics range from discipleship to spiritual warfare to the nature of Christ's deity and humanity. Each is handled with a combination of scholarship and brevity, serving as a ladder to let you slowly immerse yourself in deeper waters. A helpful, much-needed book that aims to keep our life and teaching centered on the good news of Jesus Christ.
Brent Kelly
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiness
Anything By Ferguson is worth one's time reading. Lucid and engaging in his theology Ferguson cuts through the 'Evanjellyfish' theology that plagues much of American Christianity to the doctrinal essentials. I read it as a type of devotional because I found that I kept pausing to consider what Ferguson said and its implications. It is not for the theologically narrow, or for those whose religious preference is vague and self-centered. Put it on your nightstand and experience an enjoyable read.
Nathan
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great read on the wonder of Christ and the gospel. This book would serve well as devotional material, especially as the length of each chapter is short. Despite the brevity of each chapter, they are full and weighty.
Kathryn Kidd
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Liked the format of this book. I want to read again and take notes.
Hobart
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
There's not a lot of in-depth theology here, you won't come away from this with a deep understanding of any one subject, or a few related ones. This is a compilation of fifty articles, grouped together by topic, which will enable you to gain a refresher on a spectrum of topics, or an introduction to ideas, concepts and texts that you want to come back to and study in the future. As such, it's a really strong compilation and one that I'm glad I spent an afternoon with.

Don't get me wrong -- it's n
Mildred
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow, finally a Piper book that didn't require an entire bottle of Advil, but yet gave me the desire to stop and think through what he was saying.... I'm not sure if I've ever been more thankful for a book.
Jerry
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
The book was good, but not great. Maybe it has to do with expectations. Turns out, the book is 50 short essays on various theological constructs, a sort of "systematic theology lite", if you will. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but the book would be more suited to perhaps a daily devotional, with time given to studying all the inserted scripture references. Ferguson does not go too deep on any particular topic, so it is up to the reader to continue the study with a study Bible and a good se ...more
This book is classic Ferguson, from what I know of him. It's like having a series of eloquent yet to-the-point pastoral conversations with a master of Scriptural exposition. His writing engages both mind and heart so well.

I enjoyed Parts I and II ("The Word Became Flesh," on who Christ is, and "The Heart of the Matter," on what Christ does) the most. No particular nitpicks of the later sections, which focus on living the Christian life; they were just more hit-or-miss for me, after highlighting
Michael Locklear
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
"In Christ Alone" is a collection of 50 articles that appeared in two periodicals, "Eternity Magazine" and Tabletalk."
I enjoyed this book - some articles more than others - and I would encourage you to take the time (not long at all) to read through and ponder the various truths that are presented.
Of the 50 articles, these stand out the most:
Santa Christ (chapter 2),
The Word of God (chapter 3),
The Humanity of Christ (chapter 4),
Christ of the Three Appearings (chapter 9),
Yesterday, T
Jeni Enjaian
I'm finding it difficult to review the last few books I've read, all devotional type Christian non-fiction books. My main complaint is that many of these lack the depth that I crave from every book I have the opportunity to read. I realize that not all books can dive deep into theology and serious issues. I just need to find the meaty ones that I can really sink my teeth into.
I thought at first that this book might come close. The early chapters certainly hinted at that. However, the later chapt
Debi Walter
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book offers short devotionals to read through at your own pace. I found the first half of the book good, but the second half excellent. This had nothing to do with the quality of the material or the ability of Mr. Ferguson to write well, but everything to do with where the Holy Spirit was speaking to me through it. I was challenged, convicted and encouraged in my walk with Christ by reading this book. I can see it becoming a regular read and gleaning different Truths based on what I'm curre ...more
Kelly Clark
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used this book as a devotional guide and it was great. The chapters are short enough to be used as devotional reading yet meaty enough that I didn't want to read more in one day so that I would have plenty of time to prayerfully consider and digest what I read each day. I also loved the focus of living "In Christ Alone" and felt the Holy Spirit drawing me close with each chapter. I plan to use this book as a daily devotional again and again.
Sheri Ingersoll
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is broken down into small chapters that serve well as a daily devotional. I especially enjoyed this book because its focus is exclusively Jesus Christ. As Christ is pushed on the sidelines in these modern times while the church explores felt needs, life's purpose, mysticism, contemplative prayer, and so on, it is refreshing to be reaquainted with the Object of our faith. This is an excellent book!
Peter Uren
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book to read if you think you know everything there is to know about Jesus Christ and him crucified. It's also not the book to read if you don't want to change your life, or allow God's Holy Spirit to change you.
This is a terrific book, easy to read in bite sized chunks. I highly recommend it to Christians who want to be more Christ-like, and for non-Christians who want to know what Christianity is all about.
Janice
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sinclair Ferguson is quite a wordsmith. I love his sermons and sat under him at First Pres in Columbia for 2 years. I haven't read all his books but quite a few and this is my favorite so far. The chapters are short and yet so full of wisdom. He explains many Reformed beliefs in a very readable and beautiful way. I know a family with high schoolers who used this for family devotions and loved it and the discussions that it launched.
David Smith
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the finest books I've ever read on living the Gospel. It's deep, yet very readable and accessible. Dr. Ferguson is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I would note that if you are not a Calvinist, you might have some issues with his theological stance, but I would encourage the reader to investigate this closely. He makes that issue almost a non-issue.

Great reading!
Delinda Mauney
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. We used it as a Study book in my adult Sunday School class. It provokes lots of discussion and the author brings so many things to mind that one may not even think of. It helps of course that the Pastor of our church was the Sunday School teacher and brought many things to light.

Thoroughly enjoyed and will probably use through the years just to refresh things learned.
Jo
Jun 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, christian, adult
Good reminder of many of the basic Christian doctrines we need to be grounded in. There are fifty chapters, most of them not more than 4 pages long, so it was easy to sit down and read a chapter in very little time. I especially liked the fifth section, "A life of wisdom". Some of his thoughts on contentment, the tongue, and Christian liberty really hit home.
Vaughn
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a devotional book, with chapters ranging from 3 to 7 pages. It’s firmly biblical, doctrinal, and accessible to both new and more mature Christians. Similar in nature to some of John Piper’s books, the basic thesis for the book is that Christ Himself is the impetus for daily Christian living.
Bob Priest
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Bird's eye View

Great survey of major biblical themes and theology. High!y readable and accessible. These are short easy chapters and could be a daily devotional read. I almost wished the chapters were a little longer and detailed. Would love to see these fleshed out and expanded even more.
Phillip
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my second reading. This book is good for meditation. Ferguson looks at familiar passages in the Bible and invites you to look at them perhaps in a way different from what you are used to or to take a deeper look into something you feel you know quite well. I found his words encouraging at times and challenging at others. I highly recommend it.
Adrian Garcia
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The book is compiled of various articles that Sinclair has written over the years and each one is rich in biblical exposition. There were so many great insights that he provided in the Scriptures! I recommend this book to any Christian, and because of the format it could be read somewhat like a devotional book.
BJ
Feb 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Good book by Sinclair Ferguson. It is not just a book on life-cross-resurrection, atonement themes of Jesus but also much on the Christian life. Yet...isn't that too say it is a book on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I do think there are better books on such themes, but one can never go wrong with pastor Ferguson.
Jonathan Wylie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this book as a devotional type of book. I read a chapter each day and reflected on it. The chapters were short and sweet but chalked full with depth. Chapter 34 and 49 are worth the cost of the book.
Austin Mcgrath
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of great content in it, but it took me awhile to get used to. Instead of your average book progressing in a chapter on the same subject this book was a collection of Ferguson's articles/blogs. this still was a solid read.
Alex Dwyer
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Ferguson is genuine, personal, and practical in his writing. He helped me to see the book of Hebrews with new eyes, but most importantly, he helped me to love my Savior anew. This book, even with it's disjointed chapters, is a must-read for those wanting to know their Savior more intimately.
Warren
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The content is great. I just found myself having a hard time having it all fit coherently under one title. I would describe it more as a book filled with short essays than anything else. That's ok, but not really what I expected going into it.
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
Sinclair B. Ferguson is Associate Preacher at St Peter's Free Church in Dundee and also Distinguished Visiting Professor of Systematic Theology at Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was Senior Minister of First Presbyterian Church of Columbia, South Carolina and prior to that, he was minister of St. George's-Tron Church in Glasgow.
More about Sinclair B. Ferguson...

“Failure to deal with the presence of sin can often be traced back to spiritual amnesia – forgetting our new, true, real identity. As a believer, I am someone who has been delivered from the dominion of sin and who therefore is free and motivated to fight against the remnants of sin in my heart. You must know, rest in, think through, and act upon your new identity – you are in Christ” 12 likes
“As the early church fathers delighted in saying, Christ took what was ours so that we might receive what was His.” 4 likes