Start by marking “Stella, Unleashed: Notes from the Doghouse” as Want to Read:
Stella, Unleashed: Notes from the Doghouse

Stella, Unleashed: Notes from the Doghouse

Stella’s got an opinion on everything: the baby (“cannot be trusted near tail”), her humans, the other pets, her sleeping requirements (“But for a truly peaceful rest, be advised: Your bed is best”), undignified doggie sweaters, and the dull dryness of kibble. She even waxes poetic on the exalted status of pups in Paris, who are welcome everywhere…even in restaurants. And ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Stella, Unleashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella, Unleashed

Start your review of Stella, Unleashed: Notes from the Doghouse
Kimberly
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
I give this book a 4 star rating.

This book is a bunch of poems from the dog's point of view. He tells stories about when he was adopted and all the people and the adventures they go on. I like this book because it's point of view allows us to see it from the dog's side.

Ways to use this in the classroom
1) Poems lesson
2) Do you have a dog? Write a Point of view story from the dog's side
3) Write a poem about your family or the adventures you have gone on.
Melki
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful poems about a family and their adopted shelter dog, told from Stella's point of view.

A boy knelt down.
I licked his face.
He rubbed my head.
I'd found my place.

Highly recommended for dog lovers of all ages.
Kena
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was excellent! If you’re wanting your kids (home setting, school setting, etc.) to read poems and explore themes and rhymes, I highly recommend this book. Plus, it’s about a dog... it was bound to be great.
Susan Hansen
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Stella tells all about her life and finding the perfect family through poetry. Great to use with lessons involving point of view, poetry, rhyme, and so much more. Fun read!
Kelly
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poems telling the life of Stella, an adopted dog.
Barbara
Twenty-nine poems told from the point of view of Stella, a rambunctious but loving canine, provide a dog's eye view on life. Once the right family finds Stella and takes her home from the animal shelter, they spend time getting to know her and her habits and choosing the perfect name. Young readers will enjoy her take on fame, sleeping, and the other animals in the house as well as the trouble she gets into. "Acrobat Cat" reminds me of what my dog Spirit must think as she watches my felines ...more
Brooke
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a quaint collection of poems all written from a dog's point of view. While I would not personally classify the poems as literary masterpieces, they are all very cute. The pictures are great and well done, with vivid colors. This is a must have for any household that has a dog (perhaps even if you do not have children) for the pure enjoyment of it. For my household, specifically, my two year old daughter LOVES this one (we have 3 dogs in my house). It would also be a good learn-to-read ...more
Susan
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am from dog people and I married someone who is not. Still, he tolerates our dogs (two, to his dismay) and once in awhile he says something like he's glad the kids have grown up with dogs or that he feels good knowing the dogs are guarding the house and I think, ha! We will win him over yet. Dog people know that all the problems of dogs - the barking, the occasional accident on the carpet, the "incidents" that later make great stories (the stolen chicken dinner sort of thing), the vet bills, ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Have you ever wondered what your canine companion thinks about during the day? What she would say if she could talk? In her own words, Stella relates her thoughts and opinions. She’s eloquent, articulate, and at times a little naughty.

What I thought: How I admire Stella’s eloquence and poetic language! Ashman delights readers with 29 poems from Stella’s point-of-view. My favorites are “The Drama Queen” and “Tea Time.” I also enjoyed “Someone for Each of Us” which reminds me of Pongo’s search for
Julie
Mar 09, 2009 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great example of poetry to read aloud to preschool children. All of the poems are from Stella the dog's point of view, from choosing her family at the pound to her sleeping requirements ending with a poem about all of the services our dogs provide for us. The poems are divided into topics such as "Meet my Family", "Around the House" and, my favorite, "Trouble!" The illustrations are bright and fun which compliment the humor of the book. Highly recommended!!!
Scott Roark
The life of a dog as told by one adopted from the pound. Adjectives are plentiful in this book and should be modeled to show how they can effect the feeling the author is casting. The author categorizes the book by events and descriptions of the family, great for a sequencing lesson. This idea could be broken down so that students could write a brief description of a portion of an important event in the past year, then add to it as the school year progresses.
Restokes92
This is a book full of poems told from the point of view of the family dog Stella. The poems are simple and easy to follow and would be perfect for a read aloud. I would definitely use this in a poetry unit, teaching children how to write simple poetry, and a book in my class library or studnets to read for pleasure. The illustrations also are great for keeping the students attention and the appeal could be even greater if we have a class pet or students have a pet at home.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Unabashed autobiographical poems and hilariously expressive illustrations provide the observations and opinions of a straight-shooting canine in this irresistible pooch-hood memoir.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Erin
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute illustrations - too busy though. Probably a better book for a child to explore on a parent's lap.
Sarah May
Jun 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Poetry from a dog's perspective, language and concepts more complex than I expected from the cover
Maria Caplin
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one also!
Liz B
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, poetry
This is a delightful book about a dog named Stella. The book contains different poems all about dogs, Stella, and why she is special.
Pam
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A great book for the little dog lovers out there.
Tattered Cover Book Store
signing at the store 9-5-08
DelGal
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute story with a lovable pup as a main character that includes great illustrations. Some of the wording felt a little bit "off" and did not flow as well as it should for a children's book.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
It felt like the author had met my dog and was writing in his voice! Very fun book of poems that would be great for talking to students about POV.
Mandi Murphy
Book of cute rhyming poetry based on the thoughts of Stella, the dog. I would recommend it for older preschoolers and above.
Bethany Harnden
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By imagining a dog's thoughts on all aspects of life concerning her, this book's clever expressions from a dog's perspective show just how opinionated (and poetic) dogs can be.
Sally
Jan 21, 2014
Boni
Nov 27, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and