Start by marking “Cold, Thin Air: A Collection of Disturbing Narratives and Twisted Tales” as Want to Read:
Cold, Thin Air: A Collection of Disturbing Narratives and Twisted Tales

Cold, Thin Air: A Collection of Disturbing Narratives and Twisted Tales

A doll is more than what she seems, a monster lives within a child's walls, a murder solved, another remembered, an experiment in death, and the tale of a demonic, forgotten statue. These are just a few of the freighting stories contained inside. I invite you in to experience the hauntingly horrifying, the terrifyingly true and the unsettlingly unique texts within...
Published October 8th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cold, Thin Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold, Thin Air

Start your review of Cold, Thin Air: A Collection of Disturbing Narratives and Twisted Tales
Lindsay
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-horror
The unofficial queen of Reddit's NoSleep Podcast has released some of her stories in e-book format.

C.K. Walker's strength as a writes lies in her innate ability to create eerie and unsettling situations for her characters. Her work is subtle; she quietly builds up creepy atmospheres before delivering the final, shocking blow.

My favorite stories:

"Paradise Pine" -- a couple discovers something nasty lurking in the woods outside their rented cabin.

"July 21, 1999" -- a young boy loses his memory
Cat Voleur
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
C.K. Walker is one of my favorite contemporary horror writers. While I think that her talents are best expressed in her longer pieces (I'm talking about Borrasca - but then again, when am I ever not talking about Borrasca?) there were many cleverly crafted tales in here.

The collection offers a wide variety of chilling tales in terms of both content and length, but they waver very little in quality from one to the next. They all have that perfect, final line that will leave you with a strong
Eileen
Walker's short stories are fun little reads with good twists, but the novella "Lost Town of Deepwood" was just silly.
Phillip Ramm
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-horror
All the stories are creepy enough, but the final, long short story is epic - an ancient monster that eats you and all the memories of you in others... shiver me neck hairs!! #SMW (spooky mystic weird).
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
While the book could use a bit more proofreading, the stories were genuinely so enjoyable that I'm giving it 5 stars, anyways. Well done!
Jack
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I heard about C.K. Walker from The No Sleep Podcast and her stories frequently stood out to me as being exceptionally good from a podcast where generally all the stories are good. She is frequently featured on the podcast, and am always interested when her name is mentioned because I know it will be some quality work.

Luckily, when you're listening to a podcast, you can't see formatting errors and they apparently edit the stories beyond what was done in this book. I read the Kindle version of
Judy Cadena
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NoSleep readers, Anyone who loves being immersed in a damn good story!
Shelves: horror, short-stories
I love me some C.K. and one of my very favorite authors. After one story, I was hooked, I HAD to read them ALL right then and there. I first discovered her on Reddit's NoSleep where she has an insane following but a well deserved one. I really don't understand the reviews that don't get that (editing mistakes aside) but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

My only critique, if any, is that I wish I had least one new C.K. Walker story to read for every new day. No matter how bad my
Olivia
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C.K. Walker is an absolute horror debut success. I am personally offended that Hollywood makes dribble into movies but overlooks talent like this. If you're a horror fiction fan: I promise you will like C.K. Walker. Horror is largely overdone as a genre, so its refreshing to see a new TAKE on popular themes and tropes. I guarantee theres more than one story in each book that will make you take a step back and say, "Well that was messed up and not at all what I expected."

As this is anthology
Anthony Calisto
Good stories a lot of editing issues

The stories were fairly good. In the beginning some of the themes got a bit repetitive but towards the end especially the last tale, really showed the creativity of the author. I look forward to more work from the author and how her skills will evolve. One thing I would love to see an improvement on is the use of an editor. The book was loaded with spelling errors.
Tamsin
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Rounded Up

A decent collection of short stories. Standout was "Paradise Pines". If the tall black stick men don't give you the creeps you're not human!! Looking forward to reading Volume 2 of cold, thin air...
Maurício  da Fonte Filho
Algumas histórias apresentaram plot twists interessantes. Além disso, os dramas familiares também foram bem construídos. Entretanto, a revisão deixou muito a desejar. A quantidade de erros gramaticais e de diagramação fizeram com que a leitura se tornasse cansativa em alguns momentos.
Merja
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the best stories of C.K. Walker, neatly wrapped in one package for you to enjoy. These stories warm your heart, and on the next page may chill it entirely. A collection of imaginative horror stories with varying themes, sure to satisfy even the most demanding of horror fiction fans.
Helene
Fun, quick read

This was a great little anthology of horror stories by a very talented writer. Books like this are great when you dont have a ton of time, but want to get through whole stories.
Mary
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable set of bedtime stories for myself. I look forward to exploring more from C.K. Walker.
Linda
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good horror fiction. Well worth the time.
Rachel
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars; a couple of standout stories that had me entranced. A few lackluster, though.
Christina Bolek
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some were better than others but the really good ones left me shaken. 10/10
Lisa Kleinert
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the ideas behind the stories but wish the writing had been more polished. I generally enjoy the raw style of bizarro fiction, but this collection reads more like a second draft than a finished project. There are a few typos and punctuation errors spread throughout the text which adds to the unfinished feel.

I'm very happy that I purchased the series, not just for me but to be housed in my local library as well (I'm a librarian), and I hope fans of the No Sleep Podcast (how C.K. Walker made
Kristen
Solid collection of stories, ranging from the demonic to the sinister to the tragic. Some stories hinge on the supernatural, while others showcase the horrors of human nature. It's great to finally be able to support the author who has shared their work so generously with us on Reddit.

My two main criticisms are the portrayal of mental illness in one of the stories (I won't say which, because I don't want to spoil anything; but I'm tired of mentally ill characters being used as inaccurate and
Rikke Petersen
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I absolutely adored this and it's sequel. I am so glad I took a chance and bought this book!
Danny Farham
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this in my tbr pile for awhile now and decided to give it a shot. Boy, am I glad I did. This collection of tales has a twist in almost every story, and each one surprised me. If, like me, you enjoy reading Creepypastas and/or Nosleep, then this is for you. Perfect seasonal read with Halloween on the way.
John Paul

• Certain Dark Things
  • The Corpse Garden: A Collection Of Short Horror Stories
  • Junji Ito's Dissolving Classroom
  • The Worst Kind of Monsters
  • The Big Book of Organic Baby Food: Baby Purées, Finger Foods, and Toddler Meals For Every Stage
  • Colors of Death: Fifteen Tales of Horror
  • Cold Woods (Northampton County, #2)
  • Full Throttle
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume Two
  • Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 2.
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
  • Ferocious
  • Here, The World Entire
C.K. Walker has been published by Jitter Press, The Altar Collective, and Thought Catalog. Her stories have been adapted for audio by Chilling Tales for Dark Nights and the NoSleep Podcast.