Start by marking “Dylan: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Dylan: A Biography

Dylan: A Biography

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"No other book captures it so well, understands so well.... "—Greil Marcus
Published September 17th 1991 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about Dylan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dylan

Paul Bryant
Oct 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: bob-dylan
This got a whole lot of stick from Bob fans and Uncle Tom Cobley and all, but if you approach it in the right way - which is that it's a comic retelling of the story of an imaginary folk singer from the 1960s - then it's just a complete hoot.

Spitz gaily jumps into "Bob"'s mind and recounts exactly what he was thinking when he met Suze Rotolo - sorry, "Suze Rotolo" or when he heard Woody Guthrie for the first time and so on. And Bob Spitz is so mean! But hilarious! Bob was drooling, Bob's eyes na
Josh
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
I picked this biography almost completely because not only am I a Dylan fan but I read Bob Spitz's biography of The Beatles earlier this year and loved his no-nonsense style. He's a biographer who doesn't care to mythologize his subjects and the truth that comes from that perspective is refreshing to see.

With Dylan, Spitz presents a man who had a few personality qualities (primarily ambition and insecurity) that has absolutely directed his career. Out of that, you are presented with a guy who, e
Allison McCulloch
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Bob
Recommended to Allison by: found it in the school library
I think this is the Bob Dylan bio that changed my life. It covered his early days, painted him as the ultimate jerk, yet still managed to leave me in awe of him. I remember I read this while I should have been studying. Yay!
Kaitron
As I read this book, I really don't like Bob Dylan much. No doubt he was a creative genius (minus the nonsense LSD ramblings) and he has a knack for pushing his music to and over the edge of the next big thing, but his actions suggest an insecure jerk and I've had my share of those.
Ian W. Hill
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Okay bio of Dylan. Has some good info, and makes some clumsy assumptions, with the occasional surprising insight. Judgment of the work sometimes questionable, but not uninformed.
Dave Moyer
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Pseudo-journalism at its finest. We all know Bob is fallible. Spitz seems to delight in pointing that out. Still, obviously interesting to Dylan fans.
Kathy
Oct 05, 2015
Ken Vanderoef
May 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bob Spitz is the award-winning author of The Beatles, a New York Times best seller, as well as seven other nonfiction books and a screenplay. He has represented Bruce Springsteen and Elton John in several capacities. His articles appear regularly in magazines and newspapers, including The New York Times Magazine; The Washington Post; Rolling Stone; and O, The Oprah Magazine, among others.
More about Bob Spitz