Start by marking “7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain” as Want to Read:
7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain

7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The phenomenon known as the McKenzie Method has helped millions of people with chronic back and neck pain. In 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life, its founder, world-renowned physical therapist Robin McKenzie, shares the innovative program that can save you from a life of pain. 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life combines and enhances McKenzie's back and neck books that have sold more tha ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Plume (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life

May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people experiencing lower back, sciatic or neck pain
Shelves: new-zealand
I have a herniated disc in the lower part of my spine and I recently suffered from a bout of lower back pain followed by intense sciatica running down my left leg. After about seven weeks of rest, medications and most of all, physical therapy, I was able to resume normal activity. I have been pain free for a several weeks now.

My doctor recommended that I read Treat Your Own Back, but I found this book at my library instead. Before I read it, my physical therapist gave me a copy of Treat Your Ow
Gary O'Brien
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody, especially people with back/neck pain.
Shelves: health
This book contains good, useful information. It is helping me with neck & back pain. It is not well written, though. Rather boring & repetitious. A lot of extra words which appear to have been written in simply to increase the word count. If the author removes all the repetition and useless additional words this book could be cut down to one third the length it is without losing anything useful.

It is still worth reading just to extract the useful information. It just requires a little wi
Danny M
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in Medical, Holistic, and Self Help readers.
Recommended to Danny by: A friend who is a Doctor.
I was involved in a major car accident about 10 years ago and was told that in time I would eventfully need a back operation. As of this review I have been laid up for about 7 months, being only able to walk about 2 blocks before having to sit down. The pain in my back and right leg is 24/7. Pain medication and a Chiropractor did not help or reduce the pain. I have seen my personal doctor and a different chiropractor with no relief. About a week ago I was at the local gym having trouble bending ...more
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you have back and/or neck issues, this is the book for you! I had 16 months of pain day and night in my back and 4 months of whip lash pain after a car accident. After doing the stretches for just 3 days the pain went away!!!
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the “7 steps” part of the title is somewhat misleading, this book is an excellent resource for treating the back and neck pain that is so common in our society today. The McKenzie Method, created by the author, begins with developing an awareness of lordosis, or the natural curve of the spine, particularly in the lower back and neck areas. Maintaining lordosis while sitting, standing, reading, working at the computer, driving, sleeping, etc. is key to being pain-free. The author describ ...more
Hilary Baumann
Pamphlet turned into a book

This may be a decent book to start with and I’m not saying some people won’t benefit from this book but it’s repetitive to fill space and is not going to fix certain back or neck problems. The exercises are really basic, mostly stretching which, yes, will really help the average American. That is the ONLY reason I gave it three stars.

The vital info could be covered in about 24 pages instead of about 240. But who would buy it if it’s not longer? SO glad I checked it ou
James Winner
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read. A must do.

I was struck by a bottle to the head while standing upon a twelve foot wall. Broke both bones in my leg, crushed my ankle. Spent three years having operations on foot and leg. Rods and many pins, nuts and bolts. After Three Years on The sofa and in bed, I became mobil only to have debilitating lower back pain and left thigh pain with crippling electric like shocks. Three more years of pain therapy and physical therapy. I borrowed a friend's copy of this book, read and prac
Bob Perhach
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Book

Really helped my back pain and it was so easy following the different exercises. I must also say by using the neck exercises I have more motion in my neck then I ever had before. I am glad I purchase the book
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Good, especially if you have not had any physical therapy. If you have had a good physical therapist, these concepts may not seem as important.
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eown
I only read the parts of the book related to my type of pain, and I have to say, I was impressed. It has the very exercises that I had selected from yoga that I know make my pain ease and disappear.
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Clear instructions. Easy to pick relevant parts to find information of interest to reader.
Jeffrey Covey
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
After developing arthritis in my neck last Summer and spending a few months doing the exercises I was shown in physical therapy with only slight improvements, I started casting around for other options early this year. Robin McKenzie's books consistently landed at the top of my searches, so I ordered a copy of "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life" and dug into it while my father was away for two weeks and I was able to stay out of the car and devote myself to recuperating.

It's an odd Frankenbook, appare
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: form-non-fiction
Having lived in New Zealand for 33 years and visited multiple chiropractors and several physios for my chronic back pain, I was intrigued to discover this McKenzie technique which is invented by a New Zealander and supposedly world-famous. I found it interesting that I'd never heard of it before as I thought my ear was fairly close to the ground on alternative body techniques (having tried everything from Feldenkrais to the Alexander Technique).

McKenzie makes a good case for the need to maintain
Victoria Haf
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
amo todo lo do it yourself y este es un "DIY quítate el dolor de espalda", poco a poco me he dado cuenta que no aprendí a hacer mil cosas básicas en la vida y sentarse, caminar y tener buena postura, son cosas que apenas estoy aprendiendo.

Cuando me diagnosticaron que tenía la espalda chueca me dijeron que así iba a ser siempre y que tenía que hacer ejercicios, me dieron varias hojas con al menos 10 ejercicios diferentes que hice durante un mes y luego olvidé y perdí. Igualmente ya era algo que
Gerald Kinro
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This fuses two wonderful books earlier authored by Mckenzie: “Treat Your Own Back” and “Treat Your Own Neck.” It is well-illustrated. There has been some revision and better copy editing and the result is a larger book that could be the encyclopedia of pain associated with the human spine. It presents the same information, excellent information, I might add. Better? Not.

For me, bigger is not better. The original books were smaller and, combined, total about 100 pages. This one adds up to over 2
Robert Foege
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a fruity title, but not a fruity book. The idea is that poor posture over time causes ligaments to stretch and discs to bulge, which produces pain. Practicing good posture and performing therapeutic postural exercises can prevent and reverse pain. The whole system is based on a ridiculous mishap in which a patient was inadvertently left on table with his back in extension. While his mechanical explanation for the etiology of back pain may not hold water, he is right on about the importan ...more
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am Reading this based on a rave of a friend who swears it cured her back pain after a terrible car accident. The language is very basic, the messages are repetitive (but for adult learners that's a good approach), and there are lots of success stories interspersed to keep you motivated. I don't much like the idea of using different support rolls at home, in the car and at the office (because it makes me look old and they're ugly), but so far the exercises and posture reminders are practical an ...more
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've been following the advice of this book for a month now. In 2 days my major spasms & sciatic pain were relieved. Pleased to discover the exercises were pretty much what I was already doing in my gentle yoga routine. Unfortunately a dull pain continues to exist. I think this is because the book focuses mostly on back issues from poor posture. My problem is more related to muscle strain from running. Still made for a good read.
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
i'm looking forward to using these exercises in my daily life. i've started the back extensions and have already felt some relief. the mackenzie method could really be life-changing.
the book was straightforward, a bit repetitive, but very clear in the instructions for the exercises.
Mario Streger
Nov 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
At first I got a little better of my neck pain, but then, one month later, the low back pain started, and did not stop anymore! I did an MRI and I have arthritis, which started one month after doing this exercices.
J Crossley
This book goes into the McKenzie method for the back, neck, and shoulder. While the information is good, i prefer the individual books that are a bit older. Each subject is treated with an explanation as to why we have pain in that area, and then it presents exercises to help alleviate that pain.
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hopefully the exercises in here might help. Though I am slightly confused where to start and what exercises I should do and the order to do them in and some of the instructions were contradictory so I may still need to consult with a physio that practices the McKenzie method.
فرفووشه الروح
ithink this book will benefit me
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have lower back problems, these stretches help a lot. Just don't over do it at first. BABY STEPS
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok, but a bit basic...
May 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who have lower back pain and/or neck pain
Recommended to Heather by: my dad
The writing was pretty redundant and every case study had the annoying style of a blaring advertisement, but the exercises really work. Get this book and you too can be pain-free!
May 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012
review TBD
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
With SI Joint alignment issue...this book is helpful. Yes, as one post mentioned,the writings, instructions are quite redundant, but all good, clear information.
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Miraculous! Really works!
lordosis 1 1 Jan 21, 2017 11:31AM
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass)
  • Anatomy for Vinyasa Flow and Standing Poses
  • The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, & Focus
  • Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques
  • Eye Candy: 50 Easy Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
  • Chronic Pain: Finding Hope in the Midst of Suffering
  • Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
  • No More Sleepless Nights
  • Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing: How to Use Digital Self-Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense  to Start Earning A Living ... or Shouting 'Down With The Big Six!')
  • Yoga Adjustments: Philosophy, Principles, and Techniques
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Eat This Not That! The Best (& Worst!) Foods in America!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution
  • Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet
  • Sit With Less Pain: Gentle Yoga for Meditators and Everyone Else
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Psoas Strength and Flexibility: Core Workouts to Increase Mobility, Reduce Injuries and End Back Pain
  • Children's Past Lives: How Past Life Memories Affect Your Child

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
    $7.24 $1.99
“Among other things, these nerves give power to the muscles and give sensation to the skin. It is through the spinal nerves that you can direct movement and feel temperature, pressure, and pain. These sensations are not just normal parts of life; they also provide a natural alarm system: they warn you that a bodily structure is about to sustain some damage or has already been damaged.” 0 likes