Start by marking “Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance” as Want to Read:
Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance

Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance

At Leizer Bart’s funeral, one of the mourners told his son Michael that the gravestone should include a reference to the Freedom Fighters of Nekamah, to honor his late father’s involvement in the Jewish resistance movement in Vilna (now Vilnius), Lithuania, at the end of World War II. Michael had never heard his parents referenced as Freedom Fighters.

Published May 13th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Until Our Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until Our Last Breath

Start your review of Until Our Last Breath: A Holocaust Story of Love and Partisan Resistance
Ashley
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read many Holocaust stories, but this one is one of the most touching. A love story and a story about courage, this book inspires and gives more meaning to life. Although disturbing at times (after all, is it possible to read about the Holocaust without being disturbed?), this is an important read. It is absolutely amazing what these people survived.
Tracie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hard, beautiful read. Leizer and Zenia's will captivate you. And the fact that they lived to tell it, through their son, is even more astounding.
Tyler Kuykendall
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At his father’s funeral Michael Bart is approached by a man who reveals to him a piece of information about his parents involvement with Jewish resistance group Freedom Fighters of Nekamah during the end of World War II. This kick start’s Michael’s research into his parent’s past and this book is the cumulation of that research with the help of writer Laurel Corona. This book tells of how Leizer and Zenia Bart (Michael’s parents) came to be in the Vilna Ghetto where they met and follows them thr ...more
Jan
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In America, we tend to hear a lot about the Nazi occupation of countries such as Poland, Hungary, and Austria during WWII, but very little about the occupation of the Baltic countries. This book is about the occupation of Lithuania, where an estimated 85% of the Jewish population was killed by the Nazis, and their conspirators, in approximately two years' time.

Michael Bart explores the story of his parents, who met and married in the Vilna ghetto. Lithuania had one of the most active resistance
Martha A.  Galvan
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful Love Story.
But not about the lust or "honeymoon" stage. The Love story of 2 Jews in WWII, trying to survive and deciding instead of going to work camps, they escaped to help the underground. With a group of Jews and others against the Germans, they hid bombs on the rail roads to stop the Germans from entering cities.
Their love was for freedom and to survive. Starving and hurt they saw freedom and lived to survive.

This is another story of the Holocaust, how some people, this couple Leiz
Jenny GB
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a moving book. I'm going to need some more time to digest this one, but I literally could not put this down today and read the whole thing. It's very well written and personal which makes the story so emotional and immediate. It's incredible what people went through during WWII, especially the Jews. I know it's true, but it's always hard to believe people can fight back against and survive it given the horrors involved. The pictures were very helpful and again made the story so much mo ...more
Rachel
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book portrays the daily lives of so many characters within the "Jerusalem of Lithuania," Vilna, Poland, before and during the second world war. The author is the son of one of the major characters, and has done more than a decade of research about his own parents' involvement, as well as the development of the partisan resistance, first in the Jewish ghetto, and later in the forests surrounding their occupied city. I highly recommend this book for any lover of history, but beware: There are ...more
Jodi
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I entered to win this book--and didn't--but I still needed to check it out. Great book--very compelling and engrossing true story. It had one of the most unique queries of any Holocaust book I've ever read-and I read a lot of them: The Germans were asking themselves if only the strongest Jews were still alive in 1944/45--did this mean they had actually made the group stronger? When they reproduced would their children be getting only the genes of the strongest Jews-the ones the Nazis couldn't ki ...more
Courtney Klein
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An emotional journey of love and perseverance during a time of terror. I have read a few books regarding the Holocaust, but none as personal and touching as Until Our Last Breath. You can really capture the emotions and visualize what is happening. It makes you feel. I cried.

We lost the majority of my father's family during the Holocaust, and this was truly the first book that gave an idea of what they might have faced/felt on a deeper level then this is what happened; this is how many died.

Than
Melissa B
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through Goodreads FirstReads

A whole new view of the Holocaust, through the eyes of those who experienced it through the Partisan Resistance in Lithuania. This book exposes the reader to a life of not knowing what would happen in the next few minutes: death camp, instant death, capture by Nazis, Russians, escape. Michael Barr has parents in whom he should take great pride.
Jonah
This is an interesting book that both tells the story of one couple- that met in the Vilna ghetto! - and also the story of what happened to Vilna's Jews during the holocaust. It made understanding the stories that I've heard before easier; this book tells a coherent story, not always easy with a history. And it tells both a big story and littler one.
Tammy
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book! Focuses in not only the story, but the author's research. The author learns at his father's funeral that he participated in the resistance during WW2. His mother's health is failing, but the author enlists her memories to help him find out about his father and the resistance. Well written. A tear jerker in some places.
Elaine Chew
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bravo!!! I admire everything that these two, and of course, all the other partisans, did to fight evil. I am so glad their son wrote this truly remarkable book, so that we all could share in their heroic courage! It is so important to have the survivors stories told.
Calley
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
People's courage and resilience during WW II fascinates me. BUT, that being said, don't read 12 of these books in a row! You will feel *slightly* depressed!
Austin
Mar 31, 2011
Lid
May 25, 2015
Caroljenkins
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Story of the Partisian Resistance in WWll
ANGELA WAYMAN
rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2015
Jul 13, 2018
Nicola
May 01, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Do the Birds Still Sing in Hell?
  • The Saboteur of Auschwitz: The Inspiring True Story of a British Soldier Held Prisoner in Auschwitz
  • The Children's Block: Based on a true story by an Auschwitz survivor
  • The Long Road Home: The Aftermath of the Second World War
  • The Girl from Nowhere
  • The Dressmaker's War
  • La bibliotecaria de Auschwitz
  • Ravensbrück: Life and Death in Hitler's Concentration Camp for Women
  • The Note Through the Wire
  • The Stepney Doorstep Society: The remarkable true story of the women who ruled the East End through war and peace (Themes In British Social History)
  • The Corner Shop in Cockleberry Bay (Cockleberry Bay, #1)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • We Are Here: Memories of the Lithuanian Holocaust
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
  • I Fired God: My Life Inside—and Escape from—the Secret World of the Independent Fundamental Baptist Cult
  • Married to a Bedouin
Michael Bart tells of his parents' resistance in the Vilna ghetto and their experiences as members of the Partisans of Vilna in Abba Kovner's Avengers group. This is a powerful account of heroic Jewish partisans fighting back.

Winner of the 60th annual Christopher Award in the adult book category. For the past sixty years, this national award has been given in publishing, film, broadcast and cable