Start by marking “The Guarded Heart” as Want to Read:
The Guarded Heart

The Guarded Heart

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
His was a terrible vengeance

Alannah's thoughtlessness when she was sixteen had caused an accident with tragic consequences. Then, three years later, when she'd finally come to terms with the past, she was painfully reminded of her guilt.

Nicholas Challoner, haunted, brooding for his dead wife and unborn child, was not a man to forget--or to forgive.

He demanded a retribution
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #623, 191 pages
Published August 1st 1983 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Guarded Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guarded Heart

Verity
May 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fanz of psychotic heroes.
The book has A COMPLETE BOXED SET of the usual twisted, dwama-making elements : blackmail ; revenge ; pimping mommie (not the usual pimp daddy for once. Yay !) ; icy, creepy, vindictive, merciless, venomous, pervy dictator (hero) ; downtrodden, martyr-like sex slave cum brood mare (heroine) ; lifelong bondage ; forced pregnancy ; H/H throwing sly digs @ each other ; the fork-tongued viper aka alleged mistress ; the requisite bitch-slap & name-calling (“ conceited ape” vs “stupid / hypocritic ...more
StMargarets
Booklover
Another one which is most horrible book i have ever read i really want to ask the author Robyn Donald
"Do you think hitting a pregnant 19 year old wife is romantic?"

The guy is upset because the girl was responsible for an accident that took the life of his wife and unborn child. She was 16 at the time and it was simply an unfortunate accident. The guy basically has her stalked till she turns 18 and forces her to marry him by blackmailing her. He threatened to ruin her widowed mother and her siste
Janie
Rating: 4 stars

This was just what I was looking for. I wanted a book with a lot of angst and drama and this gave me it. I was annoyed that Nick took out another woman several times while he was married to the heroine. I hate it even more how Nick had slapped Alannah. Overall, a good read.
boogenhagen
I first read this 30 odd years ago and it squicked me out. Not so much the H, tho he was a hideous pustule on a blobfish, but the fact that her own mother and the housekeeper pimped her out and did all that they could to keep her in beaten submission.

That was just so shocking to me, that women would do that to another woman - of course years have passed and as I have ventured further into HPlandia, I have come to realize that the other ladies' treatment of the h was part and parcel of the RD ex
Poonam
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The H was cruel, manipulative jerk who physically and mentally abused the h. This was all explained with the reasoning that he loved her. He even financially ruined h's father to get at her.
The h was blackmailed into marriage and she readily accepted it without trying to find any alternative solution out of the mess. Even when confronted by her sister she did not utter a word.
Overall an un pc book but giving it a 2 star as its train wreck quality kept me reading till the end.
Floqueta
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Robyn Donald is one of my favourite authors and I like most of her books a lot, including "Smoke in the Wind".

But I give only three stars to this book because as other reviewers have noted, the final reasoning of the hero is not very convincing if we take into account the many different things that the heroine had to suffer and endure from him.
Chantal ❤️
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
if you can get beyond the forced thing then this book is ok. He was an ass and he was obsessive but he really did want her and he had been through a horrible shock. I really thought it would be worst based on the other reviews but it was much better then I thought. Then end for me on the bed with the baby made up for it. It felt natural and real. I like it.
KatieV
Another vengeful Greek tycoon with his own private island. Heroine accidentally causes accident that kills his pregnant wife when she is 16. He waits until she is 19, then blackmails her into marrying him to give him a child. It's a twisted trope I like, but the emphasis on how plain/not pretty the heroine is kinda dampened it for me.
Tia
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This whole novel was absolutely crazy. From the death of a first wife, to falling in love with the 16 year old that killed said wife, by accident I might add. Then to making her marry him, raping her and then falling in love. It was nuts but holy hell was it amazing.
Julz
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psycho-hero
This story made no sense if you believe his reasoning at the end, unless he really was a sociopath. Definitely interesting. Will shock a good many ladies so reader beware. I tend to like it when it's dark, though.
mad4rombks
This is puzzling. I thought this was a book I hadn’t read and I pulled it from the TBR after I saw some readers discussing it at the Amazon Forums. I knew I had it, went looking for it and finally found it in one of the many bins holding my prints books. Then went to Goodreads to mark it as “Want To Read” only to see I had read this one sometime in 2010…yet, I don’t remember anything about it. Usually when I read something I’ve already read, a scene or two will jump out at me and I’ll know I’ve ...more
IamGamz
3 Turbulent Stars

“My unwilling little slave…Mine to do exactly what I want with…”

Alannah’s carelessness as a teenager was the cause of an accident that took the life of Nicholas Challoner’s pregnant wife and unborn child. Now years later he wants revenge. He forces her to marry him, forces himself on her on their wedding night, and makes her life miserable. There was a lot of forcing in this one. Nicholas was a cold bastard and Alannah pushes his buttons every chance she gets. If she’s going t
Roub
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
absolutely loved it ! as fantasy only ofc ! really, a man in love does not force the woman concerned into marriage n does not go on 2 rape her whenever he feels like having sex wid his wife. no means no n she was clearly in love wid another man even if it was only infatuation. he also forced her 2 bear him a child. so it's very ugly n the hero was clearly psychotic. perhaps in the eighties, this was acceptable behavior but not nowadays. he actually abused her n is actually the villain but ofc da ...more
Ria
Ok so ive just finished the book. This is exactly how a revenge romance i would want it to be. Ruthless hero and strong willed heroine. In real life i would be repelled with someone slapping in the face but i would allow it in the context of romance novel--only in romace novel. The H was so strong, so hard that i accept that that had to happen. (Again in real life i would seriously kick some ass if this was done to me). I liked how guilty he felt afterwards.

His cruelty to the h was really to th
Giovanni
this book's better than i expected it to be. so much better, in fact.
usually i don't like a widow hero, but somehow i liked him a lot.
Jenny
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
A heroine who hates her own baby (her own words not mine) is not a heroine as far as I'm concerned. Just an evil, obnoxious, unfeeling bitch. 80's Harlequins are crazy but in a good way. Not in this case with this particular book.
Kalyee
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-good, hq
"When you talk it feels like kisses against my skin"

I gave this a 3, although its a pretty low three.

The positives, it was well written, I found the characters interesting and didn't find myself struggling to get through it.

The negatives, it suffers from something many old hq do, age. The overall story just doesn't stand up to the test of time. What was perhaps risqué but acceptable in 1983, now reads as creepy and gross. (view spoiler)
Rose
So although I love this book for the strong, objective heroine and the angst-filled plot, I will issue a warming, although Nick waits until the wedding night for any relations, he does repeatedly force Allanah and basically reduces his relationship to an attempt to procreate. He is very awkward about trying to show her he loves her, and she is scared and feels alone and threatened. (I wonder why??) Nick and Allanah go way back, as you will see when and if you read the book, and this affects thei ...more
Amy
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-in-2008
A spy novel set during the Vienna congress, during the Napoleonic Wars. Published in 1987, this is significantly after Georgette Heyer's Infamous Army and before some of the more recent contributions to that era, including
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.

This has long been one of my favorite subsets of traditional regency romance. I enjoyed this book despite some weaknesses in plot and characterization.
Diana
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.4
sbf20112011
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was chock full of crazy and very non-PC, but I still liked it. :-)
Karen Siddall
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • A Savage Betrayal
  • The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
  • The Bride Thief
  • One Night With The Sheikh (Sheikh's Arabian Nights #2)
Robyn was born on 1940 in Northland, New Zealand, she was the oldest in herfamily, and as a child she thrilled her four sisters and one brother withbloodcurdling adventure tales, usually very like the latest book she'dborrowed from the library.

Robyn owes her writing career to two illnesses. The first was a younger sister's flu. She was living with her husband and her and spent most of thatwinter a
More about Robyn Donald...