Start by marking “Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond

Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond

Information architecture (IA) is far more challenging and necessary than ever. With the glut of information available today, anything your organization wants to share should be easy to find, navigate, and understand. But the experience you provide has to be familiar and coherent across multiple interaction channels, from the Web to smartphones, smartwatches, and beyond.

To
Published September 9th 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Information Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Information Architecture

Start your review of Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond
Robert
More fanatic than technical -- too much "why the world needs information architecture." More focus on prose than technical communication.
Dan
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Over the course of my seven year career as a full stack developer, I've had this book on my bookshelf. I'd tried to get through it a few times and each attempt stuttered out after a few chapters. This in and of itself should stand as evidence of something, at least to me and those who know me, but moving on...

I can't recall why I bought it - or requested it as a gift - but I finally got around to reading it recently. I always had the nagging feeling that there *must* be meat in here, somewhere.
Murray
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Often referred to as 'the Polar Bear book' (because of the polar bear on the cover), or the IA bible. I read a library copy of this book in 2006, and then went through my own copy of the 3rd edition again in 2007. It is a very in-depth book into IA and how it applies to the web. There's a lot of material to cover, so it takes a while to read if you want to absorb it all, especially if you never heard of the ideas before. But it's a very useful book, and also serves as a good as a reference while ...more
Book Calendar
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on the team responsible for a major website redesign at our library, and my particular area of responsibility is the content and organization of the site. In preparation for this massive undertaking, I picked up this book as I was told it's one of THE canonical texts in the area of information architecture. I read the first edition, so some of the specific recommendations were dated, but the general concepts are still very applicable. I'm looking forward to picking up the 2006 edition and ...more
Alper Çuğun
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably interesting enough for the new practicioner or the aspiring librarian but I found this to be an exceptionally dry read (even compared to the admittedly very detailed About Face).

I'd recommend skimming content, skipping chapters and focusing most probably on part III (Process and Methodology) of the book.

Still a must probably in this field, so better just get it over with.

Rachel Peters
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
Read this book for an information design class. It was the first time I'd ever heard of IA and I chose this book on a whim, because it looked interesting. Little did I know how hooked I would get on IA. It's a great resource for anyone wanting to learn about IA or get into a usability field.
Arnold Saputra
This book are BORING. I struggle to read chapter by chapter. Both of the author are too much reminding us about “why we need IA” and their old school intranet project. The problem of the intranet project are, We as a non employee of that intranet can't look how good the IA in the intranet.

If you want to learn about IA, its better to learn online or watch youtube. It's more time effective.
Nat
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting, but so dense. Couldn't read through it, so skimmed a few times over the years and then put it down. Lots of great advice.
Robert Bogue
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the obvious isn’t obvious. The “Polar Bear” book is a classic work for Information Architecture. Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites by Peter Morville and Louis Rosenfeld was written in 2006 but is often cited at the book to read for Information Architecture. Be sure it’s a good book and — to counter an argument raised for another review I did – it’s still mostly relevant today. Sure some sections are long in the tooth in terms of the ...more
Michael Economy
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are involved in making websites
Recommended to Michael by: steve krug - don't make me think
Shelves: work-related
Pretty great book about information architecture. If you build websites and don't know what information architecture is, I'd recommend reading it.

Some of the info is really about what to do if you're an information architect, dealing with company politics, budgets, etc. If you only work on very small projects, or if you're the primary decision maker, you could probably skim all of that stuff. Most of the meat of this book is early on.

The only reason I'm not gonna give this book 5 stars is
Mishaal
Great resource (lengthy, yes!) and there are some excellent resources provided to compliment the topic. I was surprised to learn that I had already been dabbling in IA in my work as a UX designer and business analyst without even realizing it. The sections on Search, Thesauri, and Part III (research, strategy, and design) of the book are quite informative, regardless of your role at your organization. The case studies presented are timeless, particularly surrounding pitfalls in the design ...more
Hillarie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book for a class. I wish I could say it was a great experience, but this book is about a hundred pages too long. Get. To. The. Point.
Eva Ebert
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for everyone with an interest in information architecture as it pertains to web design, but also works great as an introduction to a lot to do with information handling an librarianship.
The last part has a lot of practical advice on how to use the knowledge gained in the first parts of the book to actually get to work building the information architecture. I'm not currently about to do that, so I can't vouch for how useful it in reality, but I appreciate them getting into the
Julie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
I really appreciated the depth of technical detail in this book. While dense, it's a great resource for an IA or UX practitioner with existing knowledge of the theoretical. The third part especially is incredibly useful, with real life tips and examples for "Getting IA Done," including research, strategy and, my personal favorite, documentation.

If I was reading this again, I would start with that last section for immediate impact to my work, and then go back into the more detailed explorations
Lydia
As a technical writer, I'm great with details, but terrible with vision and planning. After reading Information Architecture, I feel like I have a better foothold on that side of things. I really appreciate the authors' Research > Strategy > Design model, and plan on putting it into practice. It's no small undertaking, but I think will be well worth the effort.

I read through this book with a discussion group at work. All of us had different applications in mind, but it was helpful to
Bryan Sebesta
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had just finished reading Donna Spencer's introductory book on IA published by UX Mastery, and while it was good, I still left feeling like I didn't quite understand IA like I was supposed to. This book was a godsend. As an introduction to Information Architecture, it was comprehensive, clear, and accessible without overwhelming me. I filled it with notes and highlights and will be referencing it again and again in the coming years, I'm sure.
Sarwn Kumar
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Information is the key that is going to change the fate of the world in the upcoming years. The age of engineering has gone. Now it's the age of content and information. He who has information he is the king of this age.
This is the book that will take you to the frontier of information knowledge.
Kennedy D
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really technical. I just finished a class on information architecture and this was a required book. The professor didn’t have us read the whole thing but I read it to go over concepts learned in class. If I weren’t familiar IA I think it would be a lot of info to digest. I do find this book very helpful and a great resource so I give it 5 stars!
Jordan Jackson
This book should be a youtube video or a one pager.

500+ Pages and over 50 Dollars for this book is a bit of a joke.

Never the less, it content is very useful. Don't waste your time buying the book though, just look at the table of contents and search the web for those topics and you will get all that you are looking for.
John
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A worthwhile companion covering the broad range of topics typically associate with Information Architecture. Will likely be returning to this one for years to come as a solid resource. Grateful for the edition updates as well, keeping the material fresh and applicable.
Mark
I wish I had read this book 7 years ago when I began working as an IA. I was basically going in blind and have been fighting the process ever since. Now I have a much better understanding and foundation from which to begin cleaning up the mess I helped create.
Andres Moreira
Interesting book. However there is a lot of know stuff if you are a developer, and maybe just a internet citizenship. Don't take me wrong, i like it and there are very good chapters, overall I don't think is a book I would rather buy again.
Tim Tulsky
A great read and I think it will be an even better re-read in the future.
Esin Ozcan
It is a good book to get deep insights into Information Architecture but the info can be consolidated and the length can be kept shorter.
Sam Frentzel-Beyme
Clear and well-written overview

A great book that provides a clear foundation around the key frameworks and terminology. Worth having on the bookshelf as a reference.
Michel Mello
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for all folks who build digital information environments.
Werner
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is where it all started for me back in the day. :)
Eric Swanson
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my first reads in the late 1990's, this book laid the groundwork for organizing website and webpage concepts for large-scale intranet, extranet, and internet implementations.
Bridget
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-books-read
If def makes you think twice about designing a small website and scaling into a bigger site.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merge clones of Information Architecture for the WWW 3 14 Oct 06, 2015 10:08AM
Like this book? Join O'Reilly Media's fan group 1 14 Oct 20, 2009 10:55AM

• The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Envisioning Information
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Responsive Web Design
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Mobile First

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“And yet, unlearn we must, for technology relentlessly transforms the playing field, changing not just the answers but the questions as well.” 3 likes
“Organization systems present the site’s information to us in a variety of ways, such as content categories that pertain to the entire campus (e.g., the top bar and its “Academics” and “Admission” choices), or to specific audiences (the block on the middle left, with such choices as “Future Students” and “Staff”). Navigation systems help users move through the content, such as with the custom organization of the individual drop-down menus in the main navigation bar. Search systems allow users to search the content; when the user starts typing in the site’s search bar, a list of suggestions is shown with possible matches for the user’s search term. Labeling systems describe categories, options, and links in language that (hopefully) is meaningful to users; you’ll see examples throughout the page (e.g., “Admission,” “Alumni,” “Events”).” 0 likes