Start by marking “Now Is The Hour (Follies #1)” as Want to Read:
Now Is The Hour (Follies #1)

Now Is The Hour

(Follies #1)

In an empty theatre at the end of the pier the cast of the Fairbourne Follies gathers round the radio to hear Neville Chamberlain declare war on Germany. Four firm friends are forced to part. Rose, the beautiful dancer, must return to her family in London and the blitz, leaving singer Richard to enlist in the army with their relationship still unresolved. Gay, asthmatic Me ...more
Published April 19th 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published November 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Now Is The Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now Is The Hour

Start your review of Now Is The Hour (Follies #1)
Redfox5
I thought this had a slow start but it really picked up towards the end and I found myself really enjoying it. Loved the characters and am excited to read the next one as Rose is faced with a tough decision!
Hayley Noble
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book caught me by the first page and I was so gripped by it, I had finished it in a day. A good war book with some romance, though not enough to just make it into some soppy live story. Characters are really well developed and i really enjoyed each of their own stories, thoughI found myself routing for the ones I didn't think I would. Ordered the second one of this series within minutes of finishing!
Hilary Green
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a gripping war story which is also a tender romance. It is the first of four books and the characters are so vivid that I can't wait to find out what happens to them in the next book.
Deb
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it
A holiday page-turner. Not too much thought required.
Carolyn Fitzmaurice
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another book I did not want to put down. I look forward to reading the rest of the series in due course.
allbooksnoheart
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, lgbt, light
In some ways I found this book a little fast-paced- I like all of the characters greatly (but particularly Merry and Felix) and would've liked to see each of their stories in more detail and at a more leisured pace- it felt rather like watching a television drama in which all of the action had to be condensed quickly because the contract was only for an hour long show! Nontheless, as I said, the characters though occasionally rather cliche were wonderfully drawn and I am hooked. I can't wait to ...more
Emma
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love the way this book allows you to view the war from very differnt perspectives and gives you an insite into how it affected different people! It seems that love does prevail - until you get to the final chapter - which just leaves you dying to read the second book in the series! The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the wait for the 3rd and 4th books!
Joanna
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
A good World War II fiction story.Not what I expected to be.....but I will definitely continue with part two.Worth reading it .
Fi
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Plenty of meat on the bones of this wartime tale; I shall definitely be looking out for the other books in the series
Gillian Morris
Jasmine
Jul 20, 2013
Aug 26, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Ration Book Childhood: Perfect for fans of Ellie Dean and Lesley Pearse (Ration Book series)
  • Nancy: The Special Operations Executive Chronicles 1
  • Indigo Storm
  • Somebody Else's Boy
  • A Ration Book Christmas (East End Ration #2)
  • Brutal
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • One Perfect Summer (One Perfect #1)
  • When She Returned
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Triumph of the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #8)
  • The Bobby Girls (The Bobby Girls #1)
  • Five on a Secret Trail (Famous Five, #15)
  • Pocketful of Dreams (East End Ration #1)
  • Au Revoir Liverpool
  • Five Go to Billycock Hill (Famous Five, #16)
  • Five Get into a Fix (Famous Five, #17)
  • The Titanic Sisters
Hilary Green is a trained actress and spent many years teaching drama. She has always written, producing novels, scripts for the BBC, and short stories, one of which one the Kythira Prize awarded by the Historical Novel Society.

When not writing she gardens, rides horses, walks in the countryside and plays bridge as well as enjoying travel and has been round the world several times. Hilary is marr

Follies (4 books)
  • They Also Serve (Follies #2)
  • Theatre Of War (Follies #3)
  • The Final Act (Follies #4)