Start by marking “Mountain Wild” as Want to Read:
Mountain Wild

Stacey Kayne

Mountain Wild (Wild #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  689 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Fourteen years ago a terrified young Maggie Grace fled into the wilderness of the Wyoming mountains, where she has lived alone, fighting for survival, ever since. Until she finds cowboy Garret Daines lying unconscious in a blizzard.
Snowbound in Maggie's cabin, sharing the only bed with this beautiful, wild woman, brings Garret's body--and guarded heart--pulsing back to li
Published July 1st 2009 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Wild

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I thoroughly enjoyed this latest addition to the Wild series by an author who has definitely impressed me in the historical western romance genre. I can heartily say that Garret grew up to be a wonderful man. Not only is he devastatingly gorgeous, he is strong, intelligent, and independent, but despite having a divorce under his belt, when it comes down to it, he's not afraid to give his heart.

It's clear that growing up with an unusual and strong sister like Skylar really had an effect on him, f
Rane
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Maggie known by the locals as Mad Mag the recluse trapper has been running all her life from a past that almost had her killed. When that past comes up against her, she finds herself helped by a local rancher. Never did she think she be helping that rancher again by saving his life after he’s attacked and left for dead in the snow. Garret Daines life hasn’t been a bed of roses, but he’s worked his way up building his ranch and cattle herd, but on a dark winter night, he's attack suddenly and wh ...more
Naksed
If you are looking for a meticulous, painstakingly researched, dense historical fiction that is going to transplant you into the harsh world of 19th century Wyoming, then Mountain Wild, by Stacey Kayne, is not the book you should be picking up. If, however, you are looking for a deeply romantic, old-fashioned kind of cowboy romance with crisp writing, fast pace, excellent characterization (including one of the most kick-ass heroines I have had the pleasure to meet) and hilarious dialogue that wi ...more
Mei
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
As soon as I finised Maverick Wild, I jumped on Mountain Wild! :D

I loved Jamie in the previous books and was anxious to read his story!
And I was very, very happy!

Jamie is awesome! He's hot, gentle, tender... Mmmmmm... Wonderful!

Maggie was great too! She was tough, capable. I felt sorry for her too: how awful to have a brother who hate her so much to want to kill her!!! Poor girl...

I would have loved to know Ira's story. Why did he helped Maggie? Who was he? I liked him and was sad that he was
tess75
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plutôt bon pour un Harlequin collection historique, même très bon !
L'héroïne est atypique puisqu'elle vit seule et n'apprécie pas le contact humain. J'ai apprécié qu'elle garde cette caractéristique, c'est sa personnalité après tout, tout au long du récit (c'était très réaliste). Du coup, sa relation avec le héros était touchante puisqu'il arrive peu à peu à "l'apprivoiser".
L'intrigue n'était pas très originale mais elle a permis de montrer les évolutions des héros et de donner un peu de tensio
Noelle
This is really 3 1/2 ** read for me, it's the first of this author that I've read and I will look into more of her books.

Maggie, aka Mad Meg (h) is on the run and in hiding ever since her brother tried to kill her at age 13, when he sold her to trapper who happened along rather than beating her to death. Fast forward several years she's now 27, living on her own after the trapper had died and staying hidden in the mountains. On the rare occasions that she does have to go into town she goes in di
Ellie
Despite the cover, this was an amazing read. The book had a couple of different parts, a bit of mistaken identity/identity deception, and ornery woman down on her luck, a great guy who is slightly bitter about his life so far, and of course someone who is trying to murder people.

I especially loved Maggie's character. She is full of cute contradictions, so strong but she is a little weak too (we notice because she does hide out a lot), and she's so primative but when she first takes in Garrit sh
Hannah
I didn't dislike it and some parts were sweet, but for all of its dark tones and serious drama this book was pretty ridiculous. The bad guys were cardboard cut-outs and evil for no reason, the characters had very little depth and often made decisions for whatever reason, and each conflict was cleaned up nice and tidy, wrapped up like nothing ever happened.

So again, it's not that I disliked the book but I personally feel like it wasn't very well written. The characters kept me reading but I defin
Jacqueline
I read this on recommendation of amazon lists. I liked it really well. The story was very well told, with a clear and cohesive plot. I liked the younger man. I need to go back and read the rest of the series now. Author did use the word okay a lot and that would throw me out of the story every time as I had to stop and wonder if the word was in common use then and what she could have used instead. Still a pretty good western feel.
SheLove2Read
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific western romance. Maggie Grace is a character you can't help but love and root for. Garrett is the consummate equal to her stubbornness and pride. Solid A read.
Ally
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody messes with Mad Mag

jane got a gun

This woman will chop you up and feed you to the bears.

Setting / Time / Genre: Western

Length: Just right for novel length

Series: I think so???

Sexy times: Minimal and not terribly descriptive.

Plan on reading more by the author: I think so.

Synopsis: Mad Mag's god awful brother is trying to kill her as the book opens. Trapper Ira trades for her and Mag's off to live off the land. She finds Garret basically sticking outta the snow, rescues him and takes him back to her
Luli
4.5 stars.
Que romance más romántico!!!! (Valga la redundancia!)
Me han encantado los personajes y me ha encantado la historia (un romance super tierno)
Aunque es el tercer libro de la serie se puede leer como uno solo. Yo no he leído los anteriores y no he sentido que faltase nada.
Los personajes son consecuentes y coherentes, una vez que se nos presentan no empiezan a hacer tonterías y lo que hacen o no hacen tiene su explicación y es sincera, o al menos creíble, eso es muy importante para que la
Brynnie
4.5 stars! I absolutely loved this!

After reading the first couple books I was hoping for more of Maggie and I got it. I enjoyed hearing about her life and how she came to be known as "Mad Mag". I love her and Garrett together. I love the suspense with her brother and how it was resolved. My only complaint was with the epilogue. It was nice but I would've loved something longer, wrapping up the whole series.
ValerieC
4.5 - 5.0 stars

Loved this small series and have them marked to read again in my Personal Notes.

I would recommend that readers start with book 1, 'Mustang Wild' and then read Book 2 'Maverick Wild' before reading 'Mountain Wild' because Garret is a sub-main character in each, and Maggie is also in each book. Those books are also very good. There is a greater insight to Garret as a person if you read all three books.
Karla
The character of Maggie was a nice change - anti-social & people-shy, and remains that way through the end of the book. There was some nefarious stuff involving ranches & inheritances that kept the pace going. The only negative I would give this book is the character of Maggie's brother. He's in some weird dom/sub relationship with his foreman, with the gay angle presented as a reason for hatred of him. Not cool.
Delitealex
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboy-western
I haven't read a historical book in a while but I saw this mentioned on blogs and was interested right away. I decided to buy it and definitely wasn't disappointed. I loved the budding relationship between Maggie and Garrett. This was a great story with alot of action bringing back my love of cowboys and western books. Maggie is such a strong character having to deal with all she went through. I'll have to pick up the others in the series since both Maggie and Garrett make appearances.
Virginia Campbell
MOUNTAIN WILD by Stacey Kayne will satsify your hunger for a good Western romance. A tender-hearted cowboy, a feisty heroine, and a dog named Boots. True love overcomes evil relatives, crooked law-enforcement and the coventions of public opinion. The setting is described in vivid detail which places you right in the beauty of the Wyoming landscape.
Jacky Faber
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stacey Kayne is a good story teller and her heroes and heroines are very likable. A good read.
Maggie molenupp
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was great!

Loved this series. Was so much fun!!! All three books are great. They made me laugh and cry. They made me mad and sad. Can't wait to read more from Stacey kayne.
Sedoo Ashivor
Very, very nice. I wasn't bored at all.
Cool characters, too.
Mili Sirine
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so amazing , it had a strong plot and a lot of twists , it was so addictive . I highly recommend this book for those who like romance and action .
Under the Covers Book Blog

Ever since being saved from her brother by a reclusive trapper and running into the wilderness, Maggie has been living in the mountains. Called Mad Mag by the ranchers and townsfolk, her disguise as a crazy, hostile old lady has kept every one away leaving her in peace and more importantly safe. But, when she sees Garret Daines half dead in the snow she can't just leave him there, even if it means he discovers she definitely isn't old nor mad. However, she never expected him to stir her heart a

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

Jules2016
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I do this to myself. I guess it was the cover, that guy just oozed sexy from every pore... All that dirty blonde hair and chiseled features-Yum! Anywhoooo, this book could have been five stars but it just took waaaaay too long for the heroine's secret to be revealed. It drove A lot of unnecessary angst and prevented a relationship from developing with the hero. This also made for a very one sided relationship. The hero constantly professing his desire and eventually love for the ...more
Tiffanyluvsaaron
4.5 Breath taking stars!

Reading Mountain Wild was a breath of fresh air.

Garret and Maggie were wonderful characters to delve into. Poor little Maggie at a very young age lost her father, only to be left with a brother who hated her more than anything. Intending to kill her, he chased her up into the mountains where he ended up giving her to an indian.

Years later, still living in the mointains, people start to think of her as Mad Mag because of her attitude. She developed these angry and defen
babyfishmouth
I love "cabin bound" themes so I was pleased to stumble upon this title in an Amazon list. I'm glad I gave it a chance because it was a fun, fast read. My only quibble is the author had a gay villian. That's a pet peeve of mine and I was sad to see it included in this book.

The hero is adorable and who doesn't love a guy with a faithful dog? He has humor, sympathy, bravery, integrity. Perfect. The heroine is smart, resourceful, and never has a " too stupid to live" moment. Their romance builds s
JudyB
My third re-read of this book and it's still 5 stars. I love the way this author writes western historical romances. Garrett is a hero that you will love. He's strong but oh so soft with Maggie. Mad Mag has been on her own since she was 13 years old and raised in the wild by an old trapper who saved her life. Fate puts Garrett at death's door and Maggie saves him. Thus begins one of the best, sweetest romances I've ever read. One that I will read again and again.
Karen
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the third instalment of the Wild seires Garret Daines is all grown up with passel of trouble for himself. Luckily the region's mad woman finds him & nurses him. Maddie has good reason to disguise herself & hide but her danger comes knocking at Garter's door & so it needs to be stopped.

Pleasure to read.
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Winter Woman
  • Two Texas Hearts (McQuillen #2)
  • Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stranger
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • Foxfire Bride
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Joe's Wife
Stacey Kayne is a new voice in western historical romance. Her debut novel MUSTANG WILD,(Wild Trilogy), was released in March 2007 from Harlequin. BRIDE OF SHADOW CANYON (Bride Series)was released in April 2007. Stacey has since sold eight western romances to Harlequin--watch for new installments in her WILD and BRIDE series. Specializing in the adventurous wild west, Stacey brings her love of the ...more
More about Stacey Kayne...

Wild (3 books)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)