Start by marking “The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)

The Assassin (Ryan Kealey #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  2,710 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
More than a year has passed since Ryan Kealey prevented the assassination of multiple world leaders in the nation's capital. While his work is brilliant, he's considered damaged goods. Now he's about to become a key player in a plot of unimaginable scale. For something big is about to go down in New York City.

When a top Iranian source reveals that Iran is planning to bomb
Published March 1st 2007 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin

Jenny
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The Assassin is book two of the Ryan Kealey Series by Andrew Britton. Ryan Kealey was called back to Washington DC because William Paulin Vanderveen who killed his fiance is still alive. With the help of Naomi Kharmai, Ryan Kealey started to track down William Paulin Vanderveen. The readers of the Assassin will go on a rollercoaster ride trying to keep up with Ryan Kealey and Naomi Kharmai and will start to wonder if they will fall in love.

Andrew Britton is brilliant thriller writer and it sad t
Joe
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The United Nations is slated to be ground zero for the next major terrorist attempt on American soil. Or is it? There is conflicting intelligence coming from an Iranian FBI source that does not coincide with the information gathered by Special Forces in Iraq, and beneath the surface is a cunning enemy that was presumed dead. For Ryan Kealey, the threat is not confined to a faceless enemy abroad. Someone in his own agency wants him put out of action.

For me the plot hovered between a 3.5 and a 4.
Linda Root
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Good, but not as good as the first, third or fourth. The first book draws us into Kealey's personality. The second, with another female love interest, perhaps came too soon after the first one, and having villain Vanderveen targeting another female close to Ryan Kealey loses its punch. If there had been an intervening book, this one might have had more of an impact. Also, it reflects negatively on readers that the female baddie plays so small a part--nevertheless, her history as presented in boo ...more
Seth Kaplan
Read the first in the series a long time ago. This would did not grab me nearly as much as the first. Perhaps it's because it is based so much on current events that are not quite so current anymore. Perhaps it's because of the overreliance on technical detail that seems unnecessary especially in the first half of the book, which moves extremely slowly. Perhaps it's because of the many errors in details, such as the description of using I95 to get from the Canadian border through upstate NY (las ...more
Henri Moreaux
Assassin by Andrew Britton is larger than your average thriller weighing in at 623 pages in the Michael Joseph/Penguin Books trade paperback edition.

Despite the seemingly large length once the story gets going it's a quick read, unfortunately, it's the start which leaves you wondering whether to continue reading or cut your losses and toss the book.

After about 150-200 pages the story ratchets up, you become more familiar with the cast of characters in your head and things start flowing, good a
Steve
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
book on tape.

It was OK but not my favorite espionage/thriller/ CIA story.

I agree with some reviewers who said that this story contained one too many escapes.

Sorry to hear the author died at such a young age. RIP
Samuel
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DEAD IN A NEW YORK MINUTE.

“There will be killing till the score is paid.”- Homer.

Interestingly enough, one of the antagonists in this book who is a real life person was killed in Syria this year by a air strike. However, in the appropriately titled "The Assassin", he dies a whole lot sooner by Ryan Kealey's Beretta 92FS. The second counter-terrorist thriller written by Andrew Britton, "The Assassin" is superior in almost every way to its predecessor, rectifying several problems and marks the b
Hans
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Joe O'Connor
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent; Continuing character: Ryan Kealey; an old enemy is working with one Middle East country to drive strife in another, with the master plan being a terrorist attack in America; Kealey and others work to catch their trail and stop it, bending or breaking rules along the way
Alisha Kennedy
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Action and Conspiracy Lovers
Shelves: favorites
Usually not a fan of this type of stories or movies, especially since I am not familiar with weapons (which is referred to a lot in this book); but I fell into the story hard and found I couldn't put it down.
Timtracy Seguinjohnston
It's really unfortunate that the author died after writing only 3 books. The stories were ripped out of the news headlines, were very well written, real page turners.
Joshua Walcher
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than the first one. So there's that. 8.5/10.
Felix
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this better than his debut. The cat & mouse play between Kealey and Vanderveen is very entertaining. The ending was great!
Dave Nichols
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: assassins
Kept your interest and kept you guessing throughout.
Masud Khan
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
It’s not a thriller if you know who are the good and who are the bad before reading 10% of the book. I guess some people would give it a 5 star rating because good guys are killing bad guys (aka, American hero is killing Iraqis), whereas the real fact is America shouldn’t have invaded Iraq in first place based on lie.

I felt sad knowing the writer died at the age of 27.
Karen Matson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent so engaging had to read everything he wrote
Cristobal
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm bailing on this series. Didn't even finish the second book.
Lee Broad
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More detail than is my style, but Britton builds on a character you love to hate.The chillingly brutal Vanderveen's chink in his mental armor is his obsession with crushing Ryan Kealey. At the same time, occasional rays of humanity escape from Vanderveen and for the briefest of moments, you wish him well and realize the author has almost turned you. Time and again, the reader is brought to the edge as the plot leaps across continents, enmeshing you in the no-holds-barred politics of the Middle E ...more
Joe Newell
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
This book rebounded nicely for me. It started out a bit confusing; I couldn't seem to keep the characters straight in my head with all of the different Arabic names, but it all sorted itself out. The story was good and engaging and I enjoyed it throughout. As often, a complaint I have with this book is the obvious staging by the author to facilitate a sequel, or a continuance of the series. To my way of thinking, write a great book and let it stand on it's merits. Don't write a book and treat it ...more
Lee
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: andrew-britton
The second Ryan Kealey book deals with another assassination plot by James March a/k/a William Vanderveen Kealey’s arch nemesis. The FBI believes that the assassination are the work of Iranians seeking to destabilize Iraq while Kealey and Naomi Kharmai believe that it is the work of Iraqi insurgents. They travel all over the world being under fire and in danger all the way as they seek to stop another terrorist attack.
Ann Wright
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this sequel to the American. Ryan Kealy, ex CIA officer and broken hearted lover, finally hunts down the ultimate bad guy with the help of the somewhat naive but very resourceful, Naomi. For his efforts he receives the thanks of a grateful nation, gets his boss out of some serious hot water, and generally sets things right. There's a good mix of politics and action with Kealy facing pretty insurmountable odds but persevering in the end. I love the genre and this one satisfied me.
Britt Lovelady
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Dan Smith
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is the last of the 5 books that Britton wrote.. Unfortunately, it was not in the sequence. I am hoping that the Britton family can find someone willing to extend the life of Ryan Kealey. I have enjoyed each and everyone of the books. It is sad to know that we will not have the chance to experience more of the drama.

Rest in Peace Andrew. Thanks for the entertainment.
Glen
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Ryan Kealey, one of those guys who actually want to get the job done, gets involved in a case involving stolen weapons from Iraq. The evil William Vanderveen has another scheme. Kealey and his love interest, Naomi Kharmai have to fight both the forces of Vanderveen, and the entrenched bureaucracy to save the day.

Pretty good.
Dave
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Rated 3 1/2 stars. I found the first half of this book to be a struggle as it seemed fragmented, hard to really get into and somewhat of a rehash of the first book. After that it sped up and became a decent read albeit drawn out. Overall it left enough interest to continue reading the series after taking a break for other reading and then come back to book three.
Veronica
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Ryan Kealey is back and this time he is more rogue than ever. His losses in the first installment of this series make him even more of a risk taker in this book. The only problem with this book is that at times it feels like it is about one hundred pages too long. Don't get me wrong, I love the story and the characters and development. However, at times it feels as if it is dragging by.
Matthew Cousens
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ryan-kealey
A great military thriller. At 500 pages this book was much longer than other books I read but I didn't mind it once I was caught in the plot. I liked how three of four different stories were woven together over time to reveal the ending, which of course leaves you hanging for the next novel in the series. I will definitely read it.
Mark
Britton's Ryan Kealey, another hero along the lines of Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp, Brad Thor's Scot Harvath and Alex Berenson's John Wells confronts his arch-enemy who desires the destruction of the good ol' US of A...Fun read though I'm saddened by the fact the Britton's passing at such a young age will deprive us of a story lines in the genre
Elyse
So many characters and plot directions, it has taken me awhile to become engaged with this one. Just reaching Chapter 25 ... and the library recalled it because reserved by another patron.

To be continued!
Angela
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Almost as good as the first one. The ending dragged a little bit but it was a really good read. I almost- ALMOST felt a smidgen of liking for Kohl and than had it all vanish rather quickly. Great read.
Andrew Britton Dies 1 30 Mar 26, 2008 08:31PM
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • The Silent Man (John Wells, #3)
  • Falcon Seven
  • Intercept (Mack Bedford, #2)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • The Shooters (Presidential Agent, #4)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)
  • Mirage
  • Firefight
  • Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Assassin (Alexander Hawke, #2)
  • Bunker 13
During his early childhood, Andrew Britton lived between England and Camlough, County Armagh, Northern Ireland, until the family emigrated to the United States in 1988 at age seven. Britton spent years in both Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Raleigh, North Carolina. After graduating from Leesville Road High School in Raleigh in 1999, Britton joined the U.S. Army as a combat engineer. He stayed in the ...more
More about Andrew Britton...

Ryan Kealey (7 books)
  • The American (Ryan Kealey, #1)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • The Exile (Ryan Kealey, #4)
  • The Operative (Ryan Kealey, #5)
  • The Courier (Ryan Kealey, #6)
  • Threatcon Delta (Ryan Kealey, #7)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
    $4.99 $1.99
  • D Is For Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • J is for Judgment (The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • N is for Noose
  • O is for Outlaw
    $7.99 $2.99
  • L is for Lawless (Kinsey Millhone, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • M Is For Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13)
  • Because She Loves Me