Start by marking “Job: An Introduction and Commentary” as Want to Read:
Job: An Introduction and Commentary

Job: An Introduction and Commentary (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Francis Andersen calls the book of Job one of the bests gifts of God to men. It is the story of one man's agony reaching out to the mystery of God, beyond words and explanations. He discusses Job's vast range of ideas, its broad coverage of human experience, the intensity of its passion and the immensity of its concept of God.
Published April 3rd 2008 by InterVarsity Press (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Job

Kristie Soliman
The introductory material (first ~70 pgs) are informative and useful. I am glad I read it as I was starting the Book of Job.

The commentary was dry for my taste. There is a lot of dissecting of the language and of the poetic structure. And the spiritual commentary was great in some parts and lacking in others.
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is at the top of every list of commentaries on Job, yet I didn't find it as useful or insightful as I had hoped. Maybe it's me.
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Andersen's Job commentary surprised me. I picked up a handful of Tyndale OT Commentaries from a local thrift shop. When the Season of Creation directed me to Job, I was glad to have a Job commentary on my shelf. But, honestly, I didn't expect much from it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find more meat in Andersen's commentary than I'd expected. Andersen engages with both the theological as well as the textual difficulties of the text. This is not a simplisitic preacher's commentary, repeating trit
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled a bit with rating as this book is extremely dry. I Give it a 4 starts as it was really informative and there are a some really good points in it. I think it can be summed up that the conversations between job and his friends are how not to treat your friends who are suffering and the conversations between Job and God are that God is so different humans can not begin to comprehend him.
I need to research best exegesis books not best commentaries.
Brian Watson
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a solid, evangelical commentary on the book of Job. It's not particularly brilliant, but it is useful and nearly forty years after its publication, it is still rated as one of the top commentaries on this book. That speaks either to the strength of this commentary or the weakness of others--or perhaps both.
Sean Durity
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps a little gushy about the book of Job. However, it does a wonderful job of demonstrating the literary structure of Job without destroying the text. It also acknowledges places where the translations vary widely without getting lost in all the details. The section on chapter 28 is very valuable. Highly recommended for doing your own study through Job.
Tim Senter
Joe Hightower
Dec 13, 2005
Jul 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

Tyndale Old Testament Commentary (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Genesis (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary, #1)
  • Exodus
  • Leviticus (The Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series)
  • Numbers: An Introduction and Commentary
  • Deuteronomy: An Introduction & Commentary (The Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series)
  • Judges and Ruth
  • 2 Chronicles (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series)
  • Esther: An Introduction and Commentary (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series)
  • Ezra and Nehemiah
  • Psalms 1-72
“It is only God himself who brings Job joy in the end. And, when all is done, the mystery remains. God stands revealed in his hiddenness, an object of terror, adoration and love. And Job stands before him ‘like a man’ (38:3; 40:7), trusting and satisfied.” 0 likes