Start by marking “The Art of the Metaobject Protocol” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Metaobject Protocol

The Art of the Metaobject Protocol

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

The CLOS metaobject protocol is an elegant, high-performance extension tothe CommonLisp Object System. The authors, who developed the metaobject protocol andwho were among the group that developed CLOS, introduce this new approach toprogramming language design, describe its evolution and design principles, andpresent a formal specification of a metaobject protocol for CLOS

Published July 30th 1991 by Mit Press

Everton
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who wants to go deep into fundamentals and possibilities from OOP
It's unbelievable how deep they went exploring OOP's fundamentals. It was an herculean effort to provide an enormous amount of features allowing extensibility to every aspect of the language.

The book is very clear and objective, it requires attention but is very instructive. One of the best books I had ever read about OOP, but definitively not suitable for beginners.

The biggest question that remains: is that kind of power usable in a regular team? There is so many powers provided by this protoc
Jonathan
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
A very good book for you if you want to know more about the Common Lisp Object System, or even just want to take your own development (in Lisp or another dynamic language) to the next level. The authors take system design to another level that I've rarely seen. It shows that flexibility and efficiency can be combined - friends even. That kind of design is probably made possible by the language it's written in, but it's also not forced by the language it's written in. This book is very valuable t ...more
Dominic Humphries
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
A few years ago, I was interested in MOPs due to Perl's Moose OO framework. I took a look at this book and gave up after a few pages as "way over my head"

After a year or so of reading Lisp, I was interested again in MOPs, and after reading Keene's OO book by way of intro, moved onto this. At long last, I was able to understand all the jargon and code samples. As a result, after all this time I finally *got* what a MOP is and why you may want one.

In fact, it's such a brilliant and simple idea I'm
Alex Ott
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: func-prog
Very good description of design principles of Common Lisp's CLOS and meta-object protocol (MOP) behind it. The first part of the book book describes how we can design MOP for simple subset of CLOS, and how it could be extended to provide more flexibility. The second part is dedicated to detailed description of CLOS's MOP.
Dave
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This volume is an indispensible guide to the Common Lisp Object System's internal logic, and as such it is a geneological key and concept-guide to all CLOS implementations.
Lars Rune Nøstdal
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book about OOP I ever read. Opened my eyes as to how poor the OOP support is in our "mainstream" languages.
Colin Jones
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'd probably like this book more if I used Common Lisp. The first half or so has some great ideas on flexibility, making most everything I could think of be customizable. Clear benefits for program design and even performance. The second half is more of a small encyclopedia of the available hooks.
Ben
May 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lisp Programmers / OO Programmers
A important book if you will be building object oriented programming tools.
Graham Lee
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think that first read introduced me to the ideas and I'll have to go through and build the thing myself to fully grok it. It's a well presented book but a little heavy for a train journey read.
Mircea Lungu
Jun 07, 2012
Luke
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
Like all good Lisp books, derives a nicely articulated implementation and then proceeds to unroll it into flexible bits. Good discussion of other language object systems and how to open up the internals to choose the invariants your project needs, but nothing earth shattering.
BillyKeup
  • Practical Common LISP
  • Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
  • The Reasoned Schemer
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!
  • The Joy of Clojure
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Programming Clojure
  • Programming Erlang
  • Introduction to Functional Programming
  • Thinking Forth
  • ERLANG Programming
  • How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!