Start by marking “Reinventing Jesus: How Contemporary Skeptics Miss the Real Jesus and Mislead Popular Culture” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Reinventing Jesus cuts through the rhetoric of extreme doubt to reveal the profound credibility of historic Christianity. Meticulously researched yet eminently readable, this book invites a wide audience to take a firsthand look at the primary evidence for Christianity's origins. (20070201)
Published May 9th 2006 by Kregel Publications

To ask other readers questions about Reinventing Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reinventing Jesus

Philip
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There are a few ways in which some Christian books written for a general audience I've read annoy me. One is an over-reliance on anecdotes. Another is excessive use of filler. Another still is weak sourcing. This book has none of those gripes; in fact, it is probably one of the best books on Christianity I have read.

Myth after myth after myth relating to Christianity are ripped to shreds, not with bitter remarks or impressive-sounding rhetoric, but with a firm, solid foundation in scholarship, a
Paul
Straight shooting, no nonsense, just the facts ma'am approach to answering an array of challenges to historic Christianity. This book knocks the socks off much of the current critiques of Christianity seen primarily on the top-seller list, viz., Da Vinci code nonsense, Bart Ehrman, re-packaged Joseph Campbell's (who just re-heated stock objections refuted more than a century ago himself) mythic-similarity-implies-identity arguments (and saying 'similarity' is being generous when you get done rea ...more
Shane Hill
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super read and a super apologetic.
Joshua Mingo
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Fine
Lela Markham
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in knowing more about the New Testament & its reliability
Recommended to Lela by: A friend who is a New Testament scholar
I read this book a couple of years ago because a friend who is a Bible translator and New Testament scholar gave it to me as a gift.

It's a terrific book! Well-written and not nearly as boring as some history/scholarly books I've read on New Testament authenticity. I learned a few things I didn't already know. I thought it was a good antidote to the ridiculous number of anti-Christ books flooding the book store shelves these days. The scholarship of this book as what really reached me. There are
Brent Wilson
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
This book was hard to get through - but I finished it. The problem was its polemic, apologist stance and tone. The risk with an argumentative book like this is, the reader doesn't care about the bickering between orthodox Christians and more skeptical scholars as much as what history can tell us about Jesus and his mission. Tell me a good story - not how your orthodoxy is correct!

The best chapters, I thought, were the more theologically driven (rather than historical). Again though, the problem
Jerry Blackerby
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In today’s world, many books are being published that redefine Jesus in many ways. Skeptics attempt to make Him something He is not, the literal Son of God. They try to refute the Bible story, stating that it is made up or misquoted with errors. This book written by noted Bible scholars, explains why the current translations are almost 100% accurate. Effectively there are no doctrinal errors and the books in the New Testament were written by contemporaries while many other contemporaries were st ...more
Simon Wartanian
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great and enjoyable book to read that I did not want to put it down.
It is good and respectful.

I loved the section on Textual Criticism (Part 2), it gave me more interest to pursue more books on this subject.
Part 5, about Christianity supposedly borrowed from Paganism was laughable to read. Not because the authors were not able to address the issue, but it is amazing for skeptics to find parallels from Paganism with the virgin birth, the resurrection and death of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Again,
Tony Fiser
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ed Komoszewski and Daniel Wallace present a well informed and balanced reason/logic around New Testament Textual Criticism and build a substantial case concluding that the New Testament Manuscript evidence possessed today proves beyond a fair, reasonable doubt that the New Testament we possess today is the same New Testament the original authors penned. They write in an accessible style and language missing in much writing by scholars in the field. This is a good antidote to the fallacious argum ...more
Mike Gorski
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is just generally well written and informative, and accessible to practically any lay person who is relatively mature in their faith. Particularly helpful is the chapter which discusses how the different greek and hebrew manuscripts are compiled into what is eventually translated into our english bible. The principles lead one to have great faith in the transmission of the original message through the necessary process that puts God's word in our hands and hearts.
Jeff McCormack
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very eye opening book exposing many of the modern attacks against Christ and Christianity. Too many fine points to highlight, so suffice it to say, it is well worth reading to grasp how the modern media, Hollywood, and "scholars" are reinterpreting historical events. Read my more detailed comments on my blog at http://exploringfortruth.blogspot.com...
Mike
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good and informative detail and certainly puts those whose 'scholarship' is suspect, or who twist scholarship to their own ends, in their place. A good book to have as a reference when people like Dan Brown or The Jesus Seminar or Bart Ehrman and others, people who want to undermine Christianity, lift up their heads and proclaim all manner of conspiracies regarding Scripture, and Jesus.
Kim
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
For the Christian this is a good overview on the origins of Christianity regarding textual transmission, canonicity of the New Testament books and was Jesus derived from myth making. The authors are knowledgeable in their field and provide a sufficient amount of material for the believer to understand the problem and satisfactory answers.
Aswindo
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baca yang edisi bahasa Indonesia. Tahun 2011 ini baru terbit. Mantap heheheheh
Jeffrey Backlin
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Good standard work on the reliability of the Gospels and Jesus within them.
Carissa Norris
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a good answer to the modern world's attempts to tear Jesus down!
Cummings
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent overview of the historical reliability of the New Testament and the claim of Jesus' resurrection. I highly recommend it.
Nelly
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-dogma
Huaa...ayo baca lagiiii!!!
*menyemangatidiri*
Gregory
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a helpful refutation of several popular myths circulating about Jesus Christ, the Scriptures, and church history. Readable, but solid research and bibliography.
Sean McGowan
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-studies
Excellent! Well worth the read.
Dan
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
The section on the textual integrity of the New Testament is really excellent, but some of the book's other discussions are not balanced enough to be helpful.
Mark
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good summary of the historical evidence for the credibility of the New Testament. Very accessible book to all.
Naveen Samuel
Jul 21, 2012
Steve Young
Jan 02, 2016
Robert Haines
rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dethroning Jesus: Exposing Popular Culture's Quest to Unseat the Biblical Christ
  • Fabricating Jesus: How Modern Scholars Distort the Gospels
  • Contending with Christianity's Critics: Answering New Atheists and Other Objectors
  • The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus
  • Judas and the Gospel of Jesus: Have We Missed the Truth about Christianity?
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
  • How on Earth Did Jesus Become a God?: Historical Questions about Earliest Devotion to Jesus
  • Putting Jesus in His Place: The Case for the Deity of Christ
  • What Have They Done with Jesus? Beyond Strange Theories & Bad History-Why We Can Trust the Bible
  • The Christians as the Romans Saw Them
  • Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus"
  • Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • How We Got the Bible
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus

“What was paramount in the apostles' earliest motives was oral proclamation of the gospel. They wanted to disseminate the word as quickly as possible.” 0 likes