Start by marking “Anansi Boys” as Want to Read:
Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys (American Gods #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  166,930 Ratings  ·  8,615 Reviews
God is dead. Meet the kids.

Fat Charlie Nancy's normal life ended the moment his father dropped dead on a Florida karaoke stage. Charlie didn't know his dad was a god. And he never knew he had a brother.

Now brother Spider's on his doorstep -- about to make Fat Charlie's life more interesting... and a lot more dangerous.
Mass Market Paperback, 387 pages
Published September 26th 2006 by HarperCollins HarperTorch (first published September 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Anansi Boys, please sign up.
T. Blake Neil Gaiman has mentioned in several interviews that Anansi Boys is most mistakenly viewed as a sequel, when all he did was roll over some of the…moreNeil Gaiman has mentioned in several interviews that Anansi Boys is most mistakenly viewed as a sequel, when all he did was roll over some of the characters from American Gods. If I remember correctly, he's also mentioned that he started writing Anansi Boys first but American Gods ended up being published first. Hope that helps.(less)
Dustyanne To be honest, I never knew it was a sequel. I was able to read both books and it didn't matter which order I read them, you are able to follow both…moreTo be honest, I never knew it was a sequel. I was able to read both books and it didn't matter which order I read them, you are able to follow both easily. They are wonderful stories.(less)

Seth T.
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud. While reading. In a Japanese rice bowl joint. Okay, so maybe it was more of a chortle, but it was definitely out loud. And more than just the once. Patrons quietly minding their own business while slogging through their Number Three Specials With Extra Tokyo Beef would be startled into wakefulness to see me - chopsticks in one hand, book in the other - as my grizzled maw broke forth with guffaws and irrepressible smiles.

Really, Anansi Boys may be the first thing I've read fro
Jayson
(B+) 76% | Good
Notes: Little transition between its real-world first half and its magical second half. Its story gets all wishy-washy at the end.
Qiana Whitted
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I agree with many of the reviewers who praise this fun and inventive novel, but I am especially fascinated by how Gaiman represents race in Anansi Boys. He chooses not to explicitly identify that his globe-trotting main characters are black until at least p. 32 (if I'm mistaken, somebody please let me know) and only then as a point-of-fact that is secondary to their status as gods. It is true that anyone who has read American Gods or heard traditional African folktales will have met Anansi befor ...more
J.G. Keely
I've come to recognize that one of the main reasons I enjoyed this book so much was that I listened to the audiobook, performed by comedian Lenny Henry, whose background as a Brit of Caribbean descent made him the perfect choice to bring the characters to life. A lot of audiobooks aren't very good, but this one way great, and really brings out the fact that Anansi stories are meant to be heard.

It's recognizable Gaiman stuff, with the fish-out-of-water narrator in a modern fantasy world, with the
Patrick
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
One of the few Gaiman books that I only gush mildly about, as opposed to gushing enthusiastically.

It's a solid book, and it does all the things that makes Gaiman's books great. It's got humor, myth, gravitas, cleverness.... But it simply didn't impress me as much as Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, or Coriline.

I'm willing to admit that the only reason I don't rank this book as 5 stars is because I'm comparing it to his other books, which are profound and perfect. That's probably unfair of
Lyn
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman blends the best attributes of Gaiman’s extraordinary talent: excellent writing, original storytelling, mythic elements, and confidence.

A central theme in the narrative is about confidence and that is also how Gaiman tells the tale, his writing exudes confidence, he writes with a virtuoso’s swagger. Not really taking off where American Gods left off, but neither does it depart from Gaiman’s myth and legends foundations, Anansi Boys sings the song of Fat Charlie, Mr. Na
Miranda Reads
Fat Charlie (his dad gave him the nickname (it's a sore spot)) spent his entire life absolutely mortified by his dad.

Of course, everyone's parents are embarrassing. It goes with the territory. The nature of parents is to embarrass merely by existing, just as it is the nature of children of a certain age to cringe with embarrassment

Then his dad does the unthinkable - he had the nerve to die. Now Fat Charlie has to go back to America for the first time in years and midway through the funeral - h
Amanda
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
A Digression and a Review:

When I was a child who was much too prone to being serious for her own good, there was a catalpa tree in our backyard. Now, if you don't know what a catalpa tree is, it's worth a Google. Catalpas are beautiful and exotic, with giant leaves we used as "plates" to have fairy-like meals of mulberry and honeysuckle (with mimosa blossoms as a bit of garnish), giant bean pods that hung down like sylvan fingers ready to ensnare an unsuspecting child, white orchid-like flowers
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Previously Goodreads listed this book as “Anansi Boys (American Gods #2)”, this has since been fixed by Raven the ace GR librarian. Anyway, Anansi Boys is not American Gods #2, the character Anansi does, however, appears in American Gods (as Mr. Nancy) so the two books are related but there is no need to read one to follow the other.

Anansi Boys is about Anansi’s two sons, the absence of an apostrophe-S after Anansi’s name notwithstanding. The first one we are introduced to is Charles Nancy, usu
Mark
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book was FUN, GREAT and WEIRD. Gaiman uses weird to bring out the humour in his writing with great effect.

The weird - Back in yesteryear Tiger (yes, the animal) owned all of the stories, jokes and the moon and stars. Through trickery Spider (AKA Mr. Anansi) stole ownership, therefore, becoming the sole being allowed to spread and enhance said stories and jokes.

The story is of Fat Charlie Anansi, the man whose Father acquired the stories. He lives a mundane life in London with a girlfr
Maggie Stiefvater
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
I kept intending to write a proper review/ recommendation of ANANSI BOYS, which I read while I was in Australia, but for some reason, every time I sat down to write it, all that came out were words in one syllables, which makes for a lousy book review. Sample copy of my early blog posts about ANANSI BOYS:

This book is good.
This book is fast.
This book is fun.
This book is what it says it is.
Which is fun.
This book is a good, fast, fun read.

I'm just not sure it's going to get any better than that. I
Jason Koivu
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Anansi Boys is like a rollercoaster without the loops, very few twists and one that keeps the speed to a minimum. You strap yourself in, ready for excitement that never materializes. My god, I've never felt more luke warm towards a book in my life.

The mildly interesting story is of a somewhat relatable modern day slacker coming to grips with his father's and brother's overwhelming personalities as well as a fantasy world he didn't know existed. I'm tired of stories with modern day slackers brin
Fabian
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A delight (and the first of Gaiman's books that I've read to get the full ***** from me)! It's got that outrageous "Freaky Friday"/Prince and the Pauper narrative; Britishisms a-la Evelyn Waugh; and a peck of Douglas Adams's brand of whimsy (this is infinitely better than Hitchhiker's Guide, & much better than the author's own Stardust AND Neverwhere). It's adorably Beetlejuician!! What's not to like, huh?
Kostas Papadatos
Ωραίο βιβλίο, απίστευτα αστείο και ανάλαφρο. Λίγες οι σελίδες του, που διαβάζονται εύκολα σε ένα απόγευμα.
Nikoleta
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ναι, ο Gaiman μας μεταφέρει και πάλι στον κόσμο του American Gods όμως εδώ σταματούν οι ομοιότητες στα δύο βιβλία.
Όσο κι αν μου άρεσε το American Gods, το Anansi Boys κέρδισε στα σημεία. Είναι απίστευτα ανάλαφρο και κεφάτο βιβλίο, το οποίο κυλάει νεράκι.
Η υπόθεση μου άρεσε πολύ, είναι έξυπνη, σπαρταριστή με πλοκή γρήγορη και έξυπνες ανατροπές. Ο ήρωας είναι σκέτος goofy και αξιολάτρευτος. Επίσης ναι, έχει και φαντάσματα τα οποία λατρεύω στις ιστορίες. Όποιος διάβασε το Αmerican gods και δεν το
StoryTellerShannon
ANANSI BOYS (hereinafter AB) is the archetype tale of the hero's quest but in place of the typical warrior hero is a fool, and, oh, it happens to take place in our days and there is the wonder of something magical yet not totally seen.

Our fool of a hero is Fat Charlie. He used to be chubby as a kid but now he's in good enough shape yet everyone remembers him as Fat Charlie so the name sticks, much to his chagrin, and, it's all the fault of his father.

Wait, did I tell you his father is a trickste
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I love Neil Gaiman's Sandman so much that I am desperate to love the rest of his work, but I can't do much more than like it because it's mostly only okay.

He deals with all the stuff I love -- mythology, the occult, death, dreams, the urban fantastic -- but he's too tongue-in-cheek. When I read one of his novels, I feel like I'm reading the Nick Hornby of fantasy. Too clever, too hip and too cool for his own good.

It's not that I don't like his prose work. I do. And I even love some of it (like W
Madeline
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's remarkable, really, how long I was permitted to exist without reading Neil Gaiman. In retrospect, I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't read any of his books until college - had I been exposed to his work in high school, the result would have been a near-obsession filled with pages of awful fanfiction and an emotional meltdown when I learned that Mr. Gaiman is happily married.

But this didn't happen, thankfully. My first Neil Gaiman book was American Gods, and when my roommate (a much m
Darwin8u
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“The important thing about songs is that they're just like stories. They don't mean a damn unless there's people listenin' to them.”
― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

description

I spent the evening avoiding my nightly duties to my family while slowly pruning in the tub while reading this. Time to transfer back into my normal wrinkles and be a grown up.

The book was good. Not great. But it was playful. I can see how many of my friends would love it. Stop. Many of my friends DO love it. It is a song and dance about
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Another superb story by one of my favorite authors. While not a sequel to his superb American Gods, it shares the title character with that book along with some references to his adventures in that story. While those references add to the richness of the tale, there is no necessity of reading American God first (except for the obvious one that it is one of the best books ever).

Anyway, this story center around Charles "Fat Charlie" Nancy, a timid, passive man from London whose
Robin (Bridge Four)
I really can’t decide if I like Neil Gaiman. So far I’ve read a few of his books and they are missing something that I just can’t seem to put my finger on. I think what I’ve come to discover is that this is one of the rare instances that I prefer an authors movies more than the books they write.

At one point around 80% in I almost just put the book down to wander off into something else never to return to it. But it seemed silly to read almost all of a book and not finish.

description

But I finished and whil
Emory Russo
Jan 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Mr. Gaiman has the same problem as Terry Pratchet. He can present the material, but he can't make me care. It's not a good sign when you're halfway through a book and you realize that if you put down the book and walked away right then and there, and never found out how the book ended, you wouldn't care. I don't care whether things work out between him and Rosie. I don't care if his dad is still alive or not. I don't care if he and his brother ever make up. I wouldn't care if the author ended th ...more
Amanda NEVER MANDY
My brain is mush and is refusing to cooperate with this review. I have tried writing from my angry ocean, my sarcastic sea and my happy puddle only to discover that the water is either frozen over, shallow or all dried up. I do have a waterfall of sorrow I could tap into but once I go over it there isn’t any coming back for a bit and I am not up for the useless back paddling.

I liked the book but I did not like it as much as I did American Gods. Technically, it’s not fair to compare the two since
Donna
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I should have known better than to try another book by Gaiman after too many disappointments from him in the past. But I've read just enough good work by him to keep me coming back, hoping to strike gold again. Unfortunately, all I found here was fool's gold. Maybe that sounds harsh, considering the story was very imaginative, rich in details stemming from a myth originating in an African folktale. But here's why I think this book glitters only on the surface.

The character from the abo
Amar
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
"There was reality and there was reality; and some things were more real than others."

Volio bi znati sa koje je planete došao Gaiman, da provjerimo ima li sličnih njemu da mogu svi zajedno dijeliti magiju, koju Gaiman odavno daje svojim čitaocima. Ovo je jedna od onih knjiga, koja ti se toliko dopadne, koja je tako lijepa i magična da jednostavno ne znaš odakle bi krenuo sa hvalospjevima. Da li da krenem o braći, polubogovima, ljubavi ili muzici, da li o način kako samo Gaiman uspije pisati ili
Faith
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, overdrive
This was my first experience with Gaiman and it was a perfect way for me to recover from a string of books that I did not like at all. It was a witty urban fantasy and the audiobook had excellent narration by Lenny Henry.

Fat Charlie discovers upon the death of his estranged father that his father was the god Anansi and that Fat Charlie has a brother named Spider who can be summoned by giving a message to any spider he encounters. Unfortunately, Fat Charlie sends this message and the arrival of
Vivian
Well, that was completely different.

The start of this was a little rough going for me. I had a hard time not wanting to shake Fat Charlie Nancy. He's the kind of guy that's a doormat for about everyone else in his life, and it's a little disheartening. I'm a buck up and cheerleader type, also a slug the A-holes in the face type, though apparently one look is usually enough for someone to reconsider their commitment to a situation. Something about the I don't care if I don't win as long as you lo
Wayne Barrett
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, mythology

This was a fun read.

I'm not sure where I got the idea, but I was under the impression that this was a series with American Gods. The only connection is that Anansi makes an appearance in American Gods, but the books have nothing to do with each other. And on that note, I will admit that I was a little apprehensive about this one because American Gods was just so-so for me. Well, Anansi Boys made up for it because this was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

With a Father who wears yellow gloves, a green
Klodovik2
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iaako se vodi kao nastavak Američkih bogova ova knjiga je sve osim toga. S Bogovima dijeli jednog sporednog lika (Anasija) i svjet u kojem se odvija radnja.
Negdi sam pročitao da je Gaiman Anasijeve dečke počeo pisati prine Američkih Bogova ali da je njih prije dovršio. To se apsolutno vidi u stilu kojim su te knjige pisane. Dok su Bogovi mračniji i više podsjećaju na mitove Anasijevi dečki su, poput prijašnjih Gaimanovih djela, bajka. Lijepo osmišljena i ispričana bajka koja te drži priljepljen
Dan Schwent
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaiman
Fat Charlie's father dies while singing karioke. Soon afterward, Charlie meets Spider, his previously unknown brother. Spider proceeds to wreck Charlie's life in humorous ways. Did I mention Charlie's dad was Anansi, the spider god? You'd think I would have mentioned that first.

My interest in Neil Gaiman led me to discover Wodehouse and this book really show's Wodehouse's influence on Gaiman. Fat Charlie and Spider's relationship is straight out of a Wodehouse book. It's not hard to imagine Fat
Dragons & Jetpacks: Anansi Boys - Overall Discussion - ****Spoilers**** 20 49 May 08, 2018 12:00AM
  • Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3)
  • Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford, #9)
  • Un Lun Dun
  • Earthquake Weather (Fault Lines, #3)
  • In the Cities of Coin and Spice (The Orphan's Tales, #2)
  • The Innkeeper's Song
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
53 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Each person who ever was or is or will be has a song. It isn't a song that anybody else wrote. It has its own melody, it has its own words. Very few people get to sing their song. Most of us fear that we cannot do it justice with our voices, or that our words are too foolish or too honest, or too odd. So people live their song instead.” 1377 likes
“Everybody going to be dead one day, just give them time.” 678 likes