Start by marking “Breaking Trail: Remarkable Women of the Adirondacks” as Want to Read:
Breaking Trail: Remarkable Women of the Adirondacks

Breaking Trail: Remarkable Women of the Adirondacks

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
The accomplishments of Adirondack women have remained unknown and unsung for too long. No longer! Peggy Lynn is singing songs about Lydia and others, proclaiming "Mountain women can be heroes." Sandra Weber is digging through archives and recovering pieces of women's history. Now Peggy and Sandra have joined together to present the stories of remarkable Adirondack women. T ...more
Published July 28th 2004 by Purple Mountain Press (first published July 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Trail

Art Tirrell
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
THE AUTHORS DESERVE CHAPTERS OF THEIR OWN

This well-edited trade paperback is nicely designed and printed. Purchased as part of an effort to become familiar with the work of Upstate New York authors, I had no idea how fortunate I was about to become.
Upon beginning the read, my interest level wasn't very high. The stories didn't seem all that remarkable. Then, fifty pages or so in, things changed - because by then I'd realized that the women whose stories this volume contains are exactly, precise
Gillian
Sep 13, 2007 rated it liked it
This is a book of about 20 biographical sketches of women who are from the Adirondacks, or lived/worked there at some point in their lives from the 1800s to today. It was an interesting, quick read (each sketch is only 6-8 pages long (would be particularly interesting for people from or very familiar with the Adirondacks). One of the stories is that of Mary Brown, wife of John Brown the abolitionist, who I didn't even know lived in the Adirondacks.
Sherry
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yes, another 5 star book and life! What an amazing story and woman. I salute you Arlene and thank you for taking time to write and share your story. You are indeed breaking trail for more than just mountain climbers, women and children in pajamas with chemical toxins all over the world. And I love reading in the end that you and your daughter have been here to Guatemala--small huge world for sure. May we all keep on trekking!
Stephanie