Start by marking “Terrifying Freedom” as Want to Read:
Terrifying Freedom

Terrifying Freedom

Truth can be illusive, choices disconcerting; the promise of moral certitude, irresistible.

In the Midwestern offices of Secure Star Insurance, Rebecca, efficient and distant, seeks only to survive another day. Sally, earnest and devout, views the workplace as a fertile mission field. Into the agency comes a new employee, Gladys, gregarious, unorthodox and twice divorced. W
Published October 28th 2015 by Linda Anne Smith

To ask other readers questions about Terrifying Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terrifying Freedom

Fr. River
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TERRIFYING FREEDOM--BY LINDA ANN SMITH

Luke 16:19-31

This novel is the story of a nun, Rebecca, who moved from the confines of a controlling church, which sought to control through belief, structure, and relationships to the terrifying freedom of being her own self. She moved outside the box. She embraced her individuality, at the cost of rejection by her church, her mother, and friends. This came through her work with the poor of Appalachia and walking with them where they are. Rebecca experience
Linda
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I read your novel [Terrifying Freedom] over the holidays - it is simply wonderful!!! Your characters are so real and believable, and their struggles palpable. I feel like you have given me insight into some of the religious terrain that I have glimpsed over the years but not fully understood. You have started me on a new course of reading!
Your novel is a gift to people who are thinking outside of their particular religious boxes - or who feel trapped and are thinking about thinking....
Dr. Tara
Kimi Yungen
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This compelling novel draws you in from the first paragraph and keeps you captivated to the last paragraph.
Interesting, insightful, irresistible a great read. Will definitely be placed in my "Books to Read Again" shelf of library. Loved it!
James
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
When we meet Rebecca Holden, she is hiding out in the back cubicle of Secure Star Insurance, near the flushing toilets. She keeps the walls up between herself and her two coworkers (Sally and Gladys). Andrew, the new HR manager arrives and discovers that there is more to Rebecca than the quiet efficient assistant in the rear cubicle[Spoiler alert, next two paragraphs ].

Four years earlier, Rebecca Holden used to be Sr. Rebecca Marise, a member of the strict, traditional Sisters of Christ the Rede
Julius McCarter
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Linda Smith's Terrifying Freedom is a gripping story about life in the the secluded world of women religious who create a counterculture by living the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience in community. Rebecca and Sally are stationed at the Midwestern offices of Secure Star Insurance. Into the agency comes a new employee, Gladys, gregarious, unorthodox and twice divorced. When an intuitive HR manager arrives, veneers begin to crack.

Back track four years. Rebecca's mysterious past is explored
Rosalyn Schmidt
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having attended Catholic elementary and high schools run by three congregations of nuns, I am a little familiar with the culture of the convent, so found the characters and descriptions of life behind closed doors very interesting. I had a hard time putting the book down, always wanting to know what would happen next. I still want to know what happens next!
Bobbie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this book because it was both captivating and educational. We were lucky enough to speak to the author who attended our book club meeting. It was so interesting to hear how the book was conceived from beginning to completion.
Karenkelly11
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, so very well written! Linda is an amazing author, can’t wait to read the sequel.
Ron Read
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was an excellent read, from cover to cover. Not only did I find it a compelling story, it resonated with me on several levels, often in surprising depth! Truly enjoyable and insightful!
Cyndy Chan
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting and the characters are so real. It really opened my eyes about the catholic faith and just religion in general and how people can be so ingrained in their beliefs.
Pamela
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well done. The author creates a rich tapestry of various characters which draws you in. I found myself needing to discover more about Rebecca’s world at the end of each chapter.
Nicole Lavoie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Good story, well written. Couldn't put it down and then was sad it was finish.
Deborah
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK . COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN
Ivy Mathison
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book after Dawn through the shadows. What a wonderful read again. Can't wait for your next book.
Nadine Keels
Mar 04, 2017 marked it as did-a-little-reading  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated the style of the writing overall--its realism, subtlety, and moments of dry wit. I also liked the author's rhythm, and for the most part, the story's pacing and plot development. While it's possible that some extended scenes could have been edited down, the shortness of the chapters kept me turning the pages.

I was exceptionally intrigued by the book's description and was more than a little engaged as I read. However, the amount of profanity eventually got in my way, and it wasn't s
Michael Duggan
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terrifying Freedom magnificently describes how religious perfection is the enemy of spiritual authenticity. Linda Anne Smith deftly unfolds the drama of a person who enters religious life in search of God and gradually realizes she is becoming estranged not only from society but also from herself. The story takes the reader into the secluded world of women religious who create a counterculture by living the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience in community while devoting themselves to educati ...more
Amelia
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Linda for writing this book. I was also in a community of Sisters for almost 20 years. I have been out now for over 5 years. I still struggle on a daily basis over all that happened there. This book was amazing for describing the realities of the CMSWR system of Religious Life which I never would have realized going in and that took me a long time to wake up to as the years went by. Thank you for writing this- one thing that really struck me was the similar pattern of behavior that I h ...more
Margaret
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful read. I looked forward to picking up where I left off each time I set this book down. With superb organization and description the author draws us into the struggles of Rebecca as she grapples with her questions about the commitment she has made in her life. It is a questioning that is handled with disarming honesty.
Jean Weild
Jun 22, 2016
Ruth Keiss
Jun 12, 2016
Linda
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Elizabeth Long
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story and am looking forward to reading her next book. A young woman, Rebecca, working in office, keeps 'herself to herself' Slowly she allows people to make friends with her and eventually is she drawn out and her story of a previous live is revealed. A good read :)
Melynda Crampton