Start by marking “The Daylight Thief” as Want to Read:
The Daylight Thief

Read Book

The Daylight Thief

As the second half of the 19th Century dawns, Jack Follows, a Nottingham-born son of a shoemaker, yearns to drag himself out of the torpor of his lower-class life.

A sensuous encounter with irresistible aristocrat Freda Deverick and the chance discovery of his artistic talent seem to present him with a life line out. But as his infatuation descends into obsession, Jack sets
Published November 1st 2015 by Alan Williams

To ask other readers questions about The Daylight Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daylight Thief

Start your review of The Daylight Thief
Joanna
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A terrific debut novel, it had me totally engrossed and unable to put it down.
Two stories running in parallel but interlinked, reflecting superbly those eras, with evocative descriptions, sympathetic treatment & a romantic thread which was understated but crucial to the whole story line.
Covering elements of local history, genealogy, art & photography it is well researched, very interesting and humorous at times.
I finished it eager to share it with others so this author gets the publicity and rea
Amber
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Daylight Thief was the first book that I won & received in a giveaway from goodreads. I have always loved to read but have honestly not read an entire book since the birth of my son 4 years ago. I started this book not knowing anything about the plot or reading reviews but could not put it down. It has become the 1st book that I have read in 4 years & I am recommending it to everyone. I would nap at night & get up just to read more. The writing style allowed me to picture every scene & made ...more
Melanie
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I won this book in a giveaway here on Goodreads. I was excited to get this book and start it. The writing is really good and I found myself drawn into the story and not wanting to put it down until I was done with it. The descriptive language in this story is unmatched. I felt like I was in the scene with the characters. Very well written. I hope that you will give this book a chance because you will not be disappointed!! Thanks so much for the giveaway!
Tracy Lowe
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this after it was recommended by Nottingham magazine, Left Lion. Pleased I did. Great little story spanning the years, peppered with familiar Nottingham landmarks and local history (even a mention for little old Eakring!) Great stuff !
Corinne
Dawn Obrien
Rhonda
Donna
Must read 1 2 Jan 12, 2016 12:09PM
Alan Williams is based in Nottingham.

His debut novel, a story about obsession and redemption across two centuries, The Daylight Thief, was published in November 2015. His second novel, The Man Who Found Treasure, a story that plays out across the twentieth century's two great wars, was published in October 2019.

He is passionate about history and enjoys the buzz of standing in the places where