Start by marking “Celtic Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Celtic Fairy Tales

Celtic Fairy Tales

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,611 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
The fourth and final volume of Fairy Tales from the British Isles, collected by leading folklorist Joseph Jacobs. The original "Celtic Fairy Tales" collected 26 tales; this continuation of the work is numbered 27 - 46. Embodying the wonderful humor and heroism of Celtic folklore, this collection contains medieval hero tales such as the "Children of Lir", comic tales about
Published 1990 by Bracken books (first published 1893)

Steven Walle
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of Celtic folk and fairy tales. I recommend this book to all. The mastery of story telling of the Celsis shown beautifully in this volume. You can find it on the web at librivox or on youtube. You can also perchace it on Kindle.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Johnny
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In the United States, classic fairy tales have been bowdlerized. The dark symbols of ogres, giants, witches, and curses of the Brothers Grimm have been transformed into two-dimensional versions of themselves with curses often being more pranks than devastating supernatural spells and witches becoming more like stepmothers than old crones. Children are no longer eaten and killed with regularity as in the didactic tales of the ancient world where disobedient children quickly met their ends.
Favori
Mary Catelli
After English fairy tales, Joseph Jacobs turned to Celtic ones, in this and More Celtic Fairy Tales:. Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Manx. . . though he complained that some areas were less gathered than others. And his first resolution to use only those form peasants who spoke no English did not last because he wanted more variety.

Some are legends, such as the story of Deidre or that of Powel and Rhiannon, and some are cumulative tales, like "Munachar and Manachar", and some are just fairy lore like "
Amy "the book-bat"
OK, I started out with the Kindle version of this book and it said it was 146 pages, but if you look at the table of contents page, it had stories listed on page numbers well past that, which would equal the 316 pages. I decided to try listening to the audio version from Librivox while reading along since some of the Gaelic and Welsh words that popped up were difficult. The problem with Librivox, is that you often get multiple different readers and the audio quality varies greatly from reader to ...more
Louise

I actually read these stories in two different editions. I started with the Collector’s Library edition of Jacobs’ Celtic Fairy Tales before realising that they had cut all Jacob’s original annotations and end-notes. Purely by chance I then I discovered this rather dusty copy hiding in the spare bedroom, spotted that it had all those end-notes and also contained Jacob’s follow-up More Celtic Fairy Tales, and did a bit of a book swap. The Collector’s Library edition is undoubtedly the more attrac
Michael
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I simply love reading these old collections of "fairy tales," especially Celtic ones. About the time of this publication (1892) there was a most interesting effort by many literary authorities to collect original fairy tales handed down by word of mouth in the British Isles, especially in the rural areas and in the original Irish, Gaedlig or Welsh, before they were entirely lost. How I am grateful to them!

Jacobs Celtic Fairy Tales (1892) is one of those delightful collections which attempt to re

Tabitha
So this is a strange complaint BUT
While I liked the stories chosen for the collection, there was something off-putting about the way the book was set up. this edition has a strange page format and font that hurt to read a bit.
That silly complaint aside, it was a well-chosen set of tales and I was really thrilled with the content (if not the look) of the book.

Ok. I'm a doofus. After noticing the original publish date was in the 1800s I think I know why the format seemed off. Oops
Lucy
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can understand the importance of fairy tales and it's a Good Thing that they were collected and preserved. That doesn't make them always a Good Read, though. This is a mixed collection - some stories flow well while others are incomprehensibly complex. This maybe reflects the late nineteenth century atmosphere in which they were recorded. Time methinks for someone to revisit the original sources and revive these in a less turgid manner.
Carina
I must have got this book about 12 years ago from a friend - she had been given it as a gift but was not a fan of fairy tales - I was and so this book came to me.

There are perhaps 8 stories in here that I really enjoy, a few others that are enjoyable the rest.. not really a fan of. Overall though this is an enjoyable read even if it is perhaps a bit of a slog to read in one massive go.
Hanna Gilman
Because it's an older collection of stories, it's goin to be difficult to read and parts of it confusing with characters popping up randomly with little explanation and old English slang. Like any other fairy tale of it's time, you can't get away with characters dropping like flies. Still enjoyable though but I recommend taking some time to mull each story before continuing.
Aredhel
Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celtic
I like reading fairy tales, first of all, because my inner child can't live without wonders and miracles and, second of all, because through these tales the essence of different cultures is transferred.
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of mostly Irish fairy tales.
Nicole Pramik
A nice little collection of Celtic tales that makes for a swift read. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoy fairy tales and folklore.
Katerina
Sarah Evans
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful notes in the back.
Suzanne Hess
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darling tales, worth the read.
Meg
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of tales new and familiar.
Marko Vasić
Very cute pocket hardback-with-dust-jacket edition and good collection of stories. Engravings are also re-printed in excellent condition from genuine 1st edition, printed in 19th century.
João Batista
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In fact, the one I read was a Brazilian version (ISBN 8572329714) of Celtic Fairy Tales (1892) and More Celtic Fairy Tales (1894); so it was in Portuguese and I will say a little about it in this language.

-A Sereia: Mostrando as aventuras do filho do pescador até ele ser 'chamado' pela sereia;
- Shee an Gannon e Gruagach Gaire: Shee an Gannon nasceu de manhã, recebeu seu nome ao meio dia e à noite pediu a mão da filha do rei em casamento;
- O Contador de Histórias: mostra as suas desventuras, além
Dione Basseri
I'm pretty sure this is the best of Jacobs's fairy tale collections, and I'm not saying that merely as a fan of Irish and Scottish folktales. Whereas Jacobs works for England and India seemed quite repetative, especially for anyone familiar with Grimm and Andersen, so many of the tales in this book are distinctly Celtic. There are a few exceptions--notably "Fair, Brown, and Trembling," which is basically Cinderella--but quite a few of these draw upon the history and legends of the Celts, and not ...more
Jen
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprising collection, Celtic Fairy Tales was written with the intent to interest English schoolchildren in Celtic lore -- a humbling bit of information, since I was often confused when the author threw in Gealic vocabulary and unfamiliar sentence structure, no doubt in an attempt to remain true in his translation. (For example, apparently a "hoodie" refers to some kind of crow, which can talk and cause no end of trouble in a fairy tale.) I was also fascinated to learn that the Celtic bards we ...more
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should any one decide to read this book from 1892 I recommend reading the notes either before or concurrently, instead of after like I did. It's interesting how many other fairy tales from across Europe and Asia are mixed in, and it was helpful to see whether they thought the story was originally from the British Celts or an import. "Fair, Brown, and Trembling" is a Cinderella story, and "Jack and His Comrades" is a variation on "The Bremen Town Musicians". I had seen "The Horned Women" done as ...more
Evan Hays
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting and fun read. In addition to giving me lots of insight into Celtic life through the stories of the people, this book is very interesting for the notes on each story that the author provides. What you end up seeing is truly how diverse and interspersed are European (and really even Indo-European stories). Many are so old and in so many different versions, that it is impossible to tell where they started. It is quite likely though, that many Celtic ones spread east not west due ...more
Gloria
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; Everyone
Shelves: young-adult
This is a nice collection of fairy tales collected from Ireland. The illustrations are a good representation of the stories they accompany. Some of the stories have to do with fairies, others with a hero-type and the quests he must overcome. Still others have the quality of Aesop fables (short stories with a moral). The editor or collector explains that he would not have been amble to complete his goal without the work of some other people and his goal is to make these Celtic stories accessible ...more
Kingfan30
I picked this up to read in between books or as and when I needed a quick read, so it has taken a while. I have to say overall I was not massively impressed, there were only really two tales that stood out for me. It was interesting for the point of view that not all of these stories had the fairy tale ending we have come to expect.

Fair Bron and Trembling reminded me very much of Cinderella but with a very different ending.

Beth Gellert - my hubby told me this story as he remembers visiting Beddg
Book Wormy
A collection of original celtic fairytales which contain the seeds of some well known fairytales before they were sanitised for children.

Snow white ends up living with her prince and his new wife and dont ask how the ugly sisters try to fit into Cinderellas slippers.

Alot of the stories feature giants, kings, queens, princes and princesses as you would expect along with characters of dubious morality who appear as the heroes.

The stories do tend to be a bit repetitive.

Paul Gallear
The stories are often repetitive, rambling and inconclusive; some of the dialogue contains enough Mediaeval archaisms (thy, thine, thee, thou etc) to make Edmund Spencer wince, and I'm sure libraries could be filled with essays and books upon the treatment and representation of women in this book.

But, for all that, I did quite enjoy it. Celtic Fairy Tales offers a look into a world of stories and storytelling which has all but vanished
Jeff
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland
If you're looking for an entertaining collection of some of the more popular Celtic tales, this is good. It does leave out some I would have included and includes some I wouldn't have, but all in all it does well. Some of the tellings were a bit smarmy for my taste. I would have appreciated some academic background information before each story, like the oldest manuscript, how much is being paraphrased or edited, other similar tales, other tales with the same characters, things like that.
Kimberly
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading the complete Brothers Grimm I sort-of enjoyed these fairy tales but the translation or the text itself wasn't particularly enjoyable to read. The stories themselves were... ok, but the writing was either unclear in places or too simplistic even for a fairy tale. I think a bit of better editing would have made this a better read. (Though it was really cheap so I probably oughtn't complain)
Stephanie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is a collection of fairy tales unlike any that I've read before. There are some words that would be hard to understand as someone from the states but lucky they give you a translation right next to them. I think my favorite story in the collection was "The Sea Maiden."
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Celtic Myths and Legends
  • The Yellow Fairy Book
  • Classic Celtic Fairy Tales
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • The Green Fairy Book
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Irish Folk and Fairy Tales Omnibus Edition
  • Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • Scandinavian Folk & Fairy Tales: Tales From Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland & Iceland
Joseph Jacobs was an Australian folklorist, literary critic, historian and writer of English literature who became a notable collector and publisher of English Folklore. His work went on to popularize some of the worlds best known versions of English fairy tales including "Jack and the Beanstalk", "Goldilocks and the three bears", "The Three Little Pigs", "Jack the Giant Killer" and "The History o ...more
More about Joseph Jacobs...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Mothuighim boladh an Éireannaigh bhinn bhreugaigh faoi m’fhóidín dúthaigh.” 0 likes