Start by marking “Race to the South Pole (Ranger in Time #4)” as Want to Read:
Race to the South Pole (Ranger in Time #4)

Race to the South Pole

(Ranger in Time #4)

Published June 28th 2016 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Race to the South Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race to the South Pole

Start your review of Race to the South Pole (Ranger in Time #4)
Adonica
Wouldn't grab the rest of the series for my kiddos.
Heidi
Once again, Ranger sets off through time to help a young person in trouble. He arrives in time to save Jack Nin from drowning. As Ranger travels with Jack and the rest of Captain Scott's crew, he has not idea that he will see and experience things that few ever do, penguins, killer whales, nasty blizzards, and deep crevasses. But through it all Ranger travels by Jack's side wondering when he'll get to go home. I enjoyed traveling with Ranger and Jack as Jack learns for the first time just what b ...more
zapkode
{My thoughts} – Ranger is a rather adventurous dog. I don’t think he means to be as brave as he is, but each time his first aid kit hums, he’s off on a new adventure. So far he’s traveled to many exciting places, I do believe my favorite so far has been in a previous book when he’d ended up in Rome!

In this book he winds up on a boat. It becomes clear to him that he needs to save and protect a young boy named Jack. Jack had a thirst for adventure and climbs aboard the vessel uninvited.

When Jack i
Cheryl Lykowski
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ranger in Time is a great chapter book series for young elementary students. Ranger, a dog, travels back in time and uses factual information to tell the story of a particular time in history. This particular book shares the adventures of Ranger and other characters as they make their way to the South Pole to become the first that has accomplished this task successfully. The adventure and suspense held my students attention and had them begging for more!
Christy
Ranger, the time-traveling golden retriever with search-and-rescue training, joins an early twentieth-century expedition journeying from New Zealand to Antarctica. He befriends Jack Nin, the stowaway turned cabin boy of Captain Robert Falcon Scott's ship. They're racing against a rival explorer to reach the South Pole, but with unstable ice, killer whales, and raging blizzards, the journey turns into a race against time... and a struggle to stay alive.
Maria Gross
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cindy
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-4-5, benji, k-1-2, library
A time-traveling golden retriever? Yes, please!
Ranger the dog’s magical first aid kit sends him on Scott’s Antarctic expedition to keep a stowaway kid safe. Lots and lots of falling in crevasses. Good read for 1-2-3.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org ...more
Dusty
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute and sweet! A great revisit to one of my favorite book series when I was younger.
Audrey J
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dressed as Ranger for dress like your favorite book character day!
Isla
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for six and older.
PWRL
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-new
A
Nathaniel
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
Yapha
Another winning entry in the Ranger in Time series!

Just when Ranger is enjoying the snow at home, he is whisked through time on another mission. Landing on Robert Scott's ship the Terra Nova, Ranger finds himself rescuing Jack, a Chinese-Maori New Zealander who has stowed away on the ship. This is the first of Ranger's many rescues as he and Jack join Captain Scott's expedition to Antarctica in the hope of reaching the South Pole. This well-researched adventure does an excellent job combining hi
Jaymie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series. I've always described it as Magic Tree House with a dog, but this one also has an I Survived series feel to it. I think kids will love that. And this is a part of history that doesn't get a lot of coverage, so they'll learn something new, too. Great author's note at the end wraps things up nicely.
Pam  Page
Nice addition to the Ranger series. Plenty of adventure and historical facts to keep children interested. As always, Messner does a great job of documenting sources and providing further reading ideas for readers.
Mary Lee
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seal of approval by the Arctic/Antarctic Exploration buff in the house (based on retelling, not reading). He thought it especially clever to use the stowaway from Shackleton's Endurance for Scott's Terra Nova. I liked the inclusion of the multiculturalism of New Zealand.
Trisha
fun and a tiny bit scary
Brenda
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting point in history. I like how the story was based on facts and the race to the South Pole.
Lisa
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
Read with my 7 year old. He really likes this series.
Caleb
Sep 11, 2016
Brian Larder
Jan 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Attack of the Bandit Cats (Geronimo Stilton, #8)
  • Balto of the Blue Dawn (Magic Tree House, #54)
  • Rise of the Earth Dragon (Dragon Masters #1)
  • Coach Hyatt Is a Riot! (My Weird School Daze, #4)
  • Shadow of the Shark (Magic Tree House, #53)
  • I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7)
  • I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (I Survived, #4)
  • Tonight on the Titanic (Magic Tree House, #17)
  • Bear and Fred: A World War II Story
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 (I Survived, #12)
  • I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 (I Survived, #6)
  • Buffalo Before Breakfast (Magic Tree House, #18)
  • Polar Bears Past Bedtime (Magic Tree House, #12)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
Kate Messner is an award-winning author, TED 2012 speaker, and former middle school English teacher. Her books for kids include THE BRILLIANT FALL OF GIANNA Z.,SUGAR AND ICE, and EYE OF THE STORM (Walker/Bloomsbury Dec. 2010) the MARTY MCGUIRE series (Scholastic), SEA MONSTER'S FIRST DAY, and OVER AND UNDER THE SNOW (Chronicle, Books). Kate also wrote SPITFIRE and CHAMPLAIN AND THE SILENT ONE, bot ...more

Ranger in Time (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Rescue on the Oregon Trail (Ranger in Time, #1)
  • Danger in Ancient Rome (Ranger in Time, #2)
  • Long Road to Freedom (Ranger in Time #3)
  • Journey through Ash and Smoke (Ranger in Time #5)
  • Escape from the Great Earthquake (Ranger in Time #6)
  • D-Day: Battle on the Beach (Ranger in Time #7)
  • Hurricane Katrina Rescue (Ranger in Time #8)
  • Disaster on the Titanic (Ranger in Time, #9)
  • Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time, #10)
  • Escape From The Twin Towers (Ranger in Time #11)

News & Interviews