Start by marking “On His Watch (Search and Rescue, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
On His Watch (Search and Rescue, #0.5)

On His Watch

(Search and Rescue #0.5)

In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder...

Ice rescue diver Derek Warner never meant to be a hero. But when two little girls go missing, he's the first in line to bring them home-even if that means scouring the wilderness with the woman he once lov
Published January 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about On His Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On His Watch

Start your review of On His Watch (Search and Rescue, #0.5)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 "All I ever wanted was you." Stars

This was a quick, cute read about second chance love. A little under 100 pages it didn't take me long to whip through this read. I really liked Derek and Artie. Artie was this cute bossy teacher and Derek her playful rescue diving ex. Derek broke up with her 4 years ago but neither stopped loving each other. I thought their connection was good and the plot sweet. I got a glimpse of George in this book. I read the books out of order reading George's book(book 3
Claire Robinson
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
3.5 - "I've missed this." Stars.

The first novella in Katie Ruggles’ new Search and Rescue series gives us a quick introduction to some of the Rocky Mountain rescue teams main players. It also give us the reconnection story of Ice Rescue Diver; Derek Warner and Artemis Rey, the woman he loved and left 4 years previously.

”Nothing’s ever easy is it?”

In the process of searching for two missing children one snowy windy evening, Derek and Artie also rediscover their feelings for each other, newly divo
♥Rachel♥
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Two little girls go missing in the wilderness while on a school field trip, and their teacher, Artemis is panicked. No worries, because her old flame, Derek on the Search and Rescue team is there and ready to help.

As they search for the girls Artemis and Derek can't resist the feelings that never went away, all the while trying to stay alive in a brutal storm.

Short and sweet with a little danger, and some steamy moments! Definitely whet my appetite for the series, so I'll be reading t
Maya
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, for such a short read I'm really blown away by how good it was. The story has action, suspense, mystery, a bit of humor, romance and of course a HEA. We also get a preview of the next book in this series, Hold Your Breath (which btw. is already on my to-be-read list).

The story has multiple POVs' but that didn't bother me at all. It made me understand and relate to the story and characters even more, since you get to see their
Bev
A sweet, second chance novella based around a rescue of two kiddies in the mountains. Derek and Artemis were a couple until four years before when Derek walked away from her. They meet up again after all this time and the sizzle is still there between them.

I'm not a huge fan of novellas and although this one wasn't at all bad it could have done with a lot less of the rescue mission, scenery, weather and a couple of side plots thrown in - arson and a mountain lion. It was too much for such a shor
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Full disclosure I'm only starting this series from the very start with this novella because I want to read book #3 SO bad(Gone Too Deep) but I've been told there's an ongoing investigation so here I am.

Honestly I'm still stuck on the whole MCs perving on each other and making kissy faces while they should have been a hundred percent focused on say... searching and rescuing two missing children during a snowstorm but that's just me?

Two missing girls likely freezing to death in a blizzard ought t
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Since I read the rest of this series I figured I’d complete it all by reading this short prequel. Derek and Artie were an okay 2nd chance romance and my least favorite couple.

I didn’t like that Artie married OM while still being in love with Derek and the reason they broke up four years ago was pretty weak!

Even their reconciliation was anticlimactic. I did like the search and rescue plot. The rescue adventure, mountain lion encounter and the dive rescue livened things up.

I wonder if Steve will
Nicola
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
On His Watch is a good introduction to Katie Ruggle's Search and Rescue series. It's short, fast paced, and whilst it doesn't give you much time to become invested in the characters, it does introduce you to several whilst giving us a taster of what we can expect from the series.

"I owe Derek one happy ending."

With action created by 2 missing little girls and mild heat courtesy of the couple at the heart of this novella searching for them--teacher, Artemis (Artie) and rescue diver, Derek, t
Lyndy Ann ♫
I was in a mood for something different to get me over a reading slump I have been in and I wanted something with some action and OMG what a day Arty and Derek had.

For a novella this had plenty of action
drowning/rescue ✔️
missing kids ✔️
search party ✔️
bad weather ✔️
OH YES Arty and Derek used to be together years ago what will spending time together in an old shack do???

I liked both Derek and Arty and I am looking forward to getting to know the rest of the team, looking forward to reading the re
Alyssa

Summary (from Goodreads):

Ice rescue diver Derek Warner never meant to be a hero. But when two litt
Sophia
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I snagged book one and then was made aware of this free prequel. Oh course I was going to get it and read it first. I'm glad I did since it looks like it gives intros to characters and the situation along with a nice rescue adventure ala second chance romance.

The story opens with Callum and Derek set up to show a group of school kids a demonstration of their job as ice divers on the Search and Rescue team. Derek is a little nervous about talking to grade-school kids in a group, but it is one of
Liina
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars
Ami
On His Watch is a prequel novella to Ruggle's "Search and Rescue" series, whose first full-length novel will be released in Spring 2016.

For the most part, I thought it gave a good glimpse about what the series about Field County Rescue Dive Team would be like. Honestly, I have never read stories about SAR diver before -- I get a number of firefighters or detectives but never divers -- and this novella offered a nice change. It even had a heart-pumping scene of our hero, Derek, rescued a kid
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This is a novella and although it is setting up a series; it fails to develop secondary characters enough to make you want to come back and read future books in the series. It barely develops the primary characters. The arc that will go through all the books in the series is interesting and once Ms. Ruggle started working on this aspect of the book it did get interesting.

The premise starts with a demonstration of ice diving rescue to a group of grade school children. When a child goes through th
Chatting About
Novella that's well written, and offers sexy and romance, humor, and gripping suspense in the search of two missing girls in rugged, frozen terrain. I will be reading more of the stories in this series.
Jess
More like 2.5 stars - this is a freebie novella on Kindle so I am not raging with the thousand fiery suns of a disappointed paying customer but it was a bit underwhelming. I have read novellas that managed to pack more plot or character into their slim page count and this basically amounted to "exes walk into the wilderness and return as a couple". The reading sample for the full-length follow-up was more interesting than this.
Didi

Not bad for a debut work I guess. This novella is a prequel to a new series centered on Search and Rescue team members (which would probably involved divers, firefighters, and the sheriff office) so we can look forward to men-in-uniform in actions for future books.

For novella, this sure was a busy one; what's with children class visit turned into drowning rescue, then escalating to searching rescue. On top of that, old flames reunited.

On the side, there were also the intro (in the lit
CL
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

ARC received from: Netgalley

Rating: 3*

Trope: Reconciliation Romance

Chemistry: Damp Squid

One-Sentence Summary: Two former lovers reconnect super speedily during a rescue mission

Review: The idea of this series really excites me but unfortunately I don't think this book did justice to the premise.

I felt the dialogue and banter a bit childish and I really don't think this novella needed to include the perspective of the two girls as it is already hard to a) set the premise for a whole seri
Christina
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars - 1.5 Flames

Suspense doesn't even begin to describe the tension you'll experience in this short read. You get about 8 pages of humor and set-up before you're thrust into a non-stop suspense that will have you flipping the pages so fast, you'll feel like you're actually a part of the search and rescue.

While Derek, an ice diver, is demonstrating his job to a group of elementary school kids, an accident happens that turns his demonstration in to real life action. Artie is one of the scho
Dawn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. Derek and Artie (love that, by the way) are a cute couple who were a couple and then weren't when he felt he landed both of them in jail. She married their mutual friend Randy and after that they avoided each other as much as possible. A rescue that involves three of her students land them in trouble again and they cannot avoid each other this time. Three rescued kids, an unknown person in the woods near them and a mountain lion later (and finding out she has since divorced Randy th ...more
Brenda
This prequel was a surprise I just read because was short but was very good.

Derek is a diver and is try too make the kids students interested in his profession.
But kids like to changeling each other is when the tragic occurs. And after that two kids disappeared
and the divers and firefighter and a cop are helping to rescue them.

Meanwhile we have Derek and Artemis lost lovers reunit again after four years are trying to make a new future together. the romance was ok actually was pretty quickly ho
Danielle
What a great start to this series... Can't wait to dive into the next book!!
Laz the Sailor
I read this author's other series, so I figured I'd give this prequel a try. It's short and sweet, and introduces the various characters and settings, but there isn't much story here.

I'll read the first full story in the series to see how a full novel works out.
Minx
I enjoy the Search and Rescue series and was happy to see this novella. The story was interesting as always but the romance was ok. Actually the second chance between the characters was sweet but the place that they ignited their passion was a little unrealistic to me. Sorry, couldn't believe it would take place like it did. Overall though, a nice little suspenseful mystery.
Anna Melfi (readwithanna)
Carissa
Ohhh this is a bit interesting but too short for any development. Onto the next one.
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good story. It was short but very well written. This is the first story I've read by this author and I liked it enough that I'll definitely be continuing with the series.

Artemis is a kindergarten teacher and Derek is a volunteer search & rescue diver that owns a mechanic shop with his brother as his day job. Artemis and Derek grew up together, along with another friend named Randy. Artemis and Derek were childhood sweethearts but 4 years ago, Derek broke up with Art
Sapphyria
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Derek Warner and the rest of the Search and Rescue Team have been called to demonstrate their abilities in front of a class on a field trip. While Derek is discussing his job and what it entails, a boy from the class walks out onto the ice. When he breaks through and disappears, the class gets to see first hand how a rescue team works. After all the chaos dies down, two little girls from the class disappear.

Artemis Rey can't believe that the person demonstrating search and rescue is her old fla
A Klue
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok

• Whiteout (Survival Instincts, #1)
  • Lock 'N' Load (Federal K-9, #1)
  • Armed 'N' Ready (Federal K-9 #2)
  • Lethal Redemption (Steele Ops, #2)
  • Dark 'N' Deadly (Federal K-9, #3)
  • Irresistible Force (K-9 Rescue #1)
  • Trap 'N' Trace (Federal K-9 Book 4)
  • Extreme Honor (True Heroes, #1)
  • Disavowed (NYPD Blue & Gold #3)
  • Deadly Obsession (Steele Ops, #1)
  • Weston (The K9 Files #8)
  • Blood Money (NYPD Blue & Gold, #2)
  • More than Neighbors (Blackberry Bay, #1)
  • Ultimate Courage (True Heroes, #2)
  • Edge of Control (Edge Security, #1)
  • Protecting Kate (Dark Horse Inc., #1)
  • Hot Soldier's Chase (The Blackjacks #1)
  • Hell on Wheels (Black Knights Inc., #1)
A fan of the old adage “write what you know”, Katie Ruggle lived in an off-grid, solar- and wind-powered house in the Rocky Mountains until her family lured her back to Minnesota. When she’s not writing, Katie rides horses, trains her three dogs, cross-country skis (badly) and travels to warm places where she can scuba dive. A graduate of the Police Academy, Katie received her ice-rescue certifica ...more

Search and Rescue (4 books)
  • Hold Your Breath (Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Fan the Flames (Search and Rescue, #2)
  • Gone Too Deep (Search and Rescue, #3)
  • In Safe Hands (Search and Rescue, #4)

News & Interviews

“It appeared that she was attacking a new knitting hobby with more determination than skill.” 0 likes