Start by marking “On His Watch (Search and Rescue, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
On His Watch (Search and Rescue, #0.5)

On His Watch (Search and Rescue 0.5)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,101 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder...

Published January 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about On His Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On His Watch

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 "All I ever wanted was you." Stars

This was a quick, cute read about second chance love. A little under 100 pages it didn't take me long to whip through this read. I really liked Derek and Artie. Artie was this cute bossy teacher and Derek her playful rescue diving ex. Derek broke up with her 4 years ago but neither stopped loving each other. I thought their connection was good and the plot sweet. I got a glimpse of George in this book. I read the books out of order reading George's book(book 3
Claire Robinson
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
3.5 - "I've missed this." Stars.

The first novella in Katie Ruggles’ new Search and Rescue series gives us a quick introduction to some of the Rocky Mountain rescue teams main players. It also give us the reconnection story of Ice Rescue Diver; Derek Warner and Artemis Rey, the woman he loved and left 4 years previously.

”Nothing’s ever easy is it?”

In the process of searching for two missing children one snowy windy evening, Derek and Artie also rediscover their feelings for each other, newly divo
♥Rachel♥
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Two little girls go missing in the wilderness while on a school field trip, and their teacher, Artemis is panicked. No worries, because her old flame, Derek on the Search and Rescue team is there and ready to help.

As they search for the girls Artemis and Derek can't resist the feelings that never went away, all the while trying to stay alive in a brutal storm.

Short and sweet with a little danger, and some steamy moments! Definitely whet my appetite for the series, so I'll be reading t
Maya
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, for such a short read I'm really blown away by how good it was. The story has action, suspense, mystery, a bit of humor, romance and of course a HEA. We also get a preview of the next book in this series, Hold Your Breath (which btw. is already on my to-be-read list).

The story has multiple POVs' but that didn't bother me at all. It made me understand and relate to the story and characters even more, since you get to see their t
Nicola
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
On His Watch is a good introduction to Katie Ruggle's Search and Rescue series. It's short, fast paced, and whilst it doesn't give you much time to become invested in the characters, it does introduce you to several whilst giving us a taster of what we can expect from the series.

"I owe Derek one happy ending."

With action created by 2 missing little girls and mild heat courtesy of the couple at the heart of this novella searching for them--teacher, Artemis (Artie) and rescue diver, Derek, the
Lyndy Ann ♫
I was in a mood for something different to get me over a reading slump I have been in and I wanted something with some action and OMG what a day Arty and Derek had.

For a novella this had plenty of action
drowning/rescue ✔
missing kids ✔
search party ✔
bad weather ✔
OH YES Arty and Derek used to be together years ago what will spending time together in an old shack do???

I liked both Derek and Arty and I am looking forward to getting to know the rest of the team, looking forward to reading the rest o
Shari Kay
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 ✭

I'm surprised I didn't care for this one much as i've really been enjoying the series. It is the prequel to KR's Search and Rescue and i'm so glad i didn't read it before the others because I might never have picked up another one if I had.

I liked Derek from the series and knew he was with Artie from info. given there. But, at least from the 2 books i've read, there was no history on HOW they got together and we've never met Artie. This novella gives us their story.

I just didn't like it. I
Sophia
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I snagged book one and then was made aware of this free prequel. Oh course I was going to get it and read it first. I'm glad I did since it looks like it gives intros to characters and the situation along with a nice rescue adventure ala second chance romance.

The story opens with Callum and Derek set up to show a group of school kids a demonstration of their job as ice divers on the Search and Rescue team. Derek is a little nervous about talking to grade-school kids in a group, but it is one of
Ami
On His Watch is a prequel novella to Ruggle's "Search and Rescue" series, whose first full-length novel will be released in Spring 2016.

For the most part, I thought it gave a good glimpse about what the series about Field County Rescue Dive Team would be like. Honestly, I have never read stories about SAR diver before -- I get a number of firefighters or detectives but never divers -- and this novella offered a nice change. It even had a heart-pumping scene of our hero, Derek, rescued a kid w
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This is a novella and although it is setting up a series; it fails to develop secondary characters enough to make you want to come back and read future books in the series. It barely develops the primary characters. The arc that will go through all the books in the series is interesting and once Ms. Ruggle started working on this aspect of the book it did get interesting.

The premise starts with a demonstration of ice diving rescue to a group of grade school children. When a child goes through th
Bev
A sweet, second chance novella based around a rescue of two kiddies in the mountains. Derek and Artemis were a couple until four years before when Derek walked away from her. They meet up again after all this time and the sizzle is still there between them.

I'm not a huge fan of novellas and although this one wasn't at all bad it could have done with a lot less of the rescue mission, scenery, weather and a couple of side plots thrown in - arson and a mountain lion. It was too much for such a shor
Linda Langford at Chatting About Cozies
Novella that's well written, and offers sexy and romance, humor, and gripping suspense in the search of two missing girls in rugged, frozen terrain. I will be reading more of the stories in this series.
Luli
Esta novela cumple su cometido: introducir una nueva serie de una autora desconocida (para mí).
Es difícil prever cómo va a ser la serie a partir de esta historia tan corta, pero me ha gustado lo suficiente como para darle una oportunidad.
Lo mejor ha sido que los personajes están desarrollados, no son excesivos y la parte del suspense ha sido creíble y nada melodramática.
Lo peor ha sido que estaban pasando demasiadas cosas a la vez para la poca longitud de la novela, y el romance no ha sido nada
Didi

Not bad for a debut work I guess. This novella is a prequel to a new series centered on Search and Rescue team members (which would probably involved divers, firefighters, and the sheriff office) so we can look forward to men-in-uniform in actions for future books.

For novella, this sure was a busy one; what's with children class visit turned into drowning rescue, then escalating to searching rescue. On top of that, old flames reunited.

On the side, there were also the intro (in the lit
CL
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

ARC received from: Netgalley

Rating: 3*

Trope: Reconciliation Romance

Chemistry: Damp Squid

One-Sentence Summary: Two former lovers reconnect super speedily during a rescue mission

Review: The idea of this series really excites me but unfortunately I don't think this book did justice to the premise.

I felt the dialogue and banter a bit childish and I really don't think this novella needed to include the perspective of the two girls as it is already hard to a) set the premise for a whole series and i
Christina
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars - 1.5 Flames

Suspense doesn't even begin to describe the tension you'll experience in this short read. You get about 8 pages of humor and set-up before you're thrust into a non-stop suspense that will have you flipping the pages so fast, you'll feel like you're actually a part of the search and rescue.

While Derek, an ice diver, is demonstrating his job to a group of elementary school kids, an accident happens that turns his demonstration in to real life action. Artie is one of the scho
Brenda
This prequel was a surprise I just read because was short but was very good.

Derek is a diver and is try too make the kids students interested in his profession.
But kids like to changeling each other is when the tragic occurs. And after that two kids disappeared
and the divers and firefighter and a cop are helping to rescue them.

Meanwhile we have Derek and Artemis lost lovers reunit again after four years are trying to make a new future together. the romance was ok actually was pretty quickly ho
Dawn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. Derek and Artie (love that, by the way) are a cute couple who were a couple and then weren't when he felt he landed both of them in jail. She married their mutual friend Randy and after that they avoided each other as much as possible. A rescue that involves three of her students land them in trouble again and they cannot avoid each other this time. Three rescued kids, an unknown person in the woods near them and a mountain lion later (and finding out she has since divorced Randy th ...more
Danielle
What a great start to this series... Can't wait to dive into the next book!!
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good story. It was short but very well written. This is the first story I've read by this author and I liked it enough that I'll definitely be continuing with the series.

Artemis is a kindergarten teacher and Derek is a volunteer search & rescue diver that owns a mechanic shop with his brother as his day job. Artemis and Derek grew up together, along with another friend named Randy. Artemis and Derek were childhood sweethearts but 4 years ago, Derek broke up with
Sapphyria
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Derek Warner and the rest of the Search and Rescue Team have been called to demonstrate their abilities in front of a class on a field trip. While Derek is discussing his job and what it entails, a boy from the class walks out onto the ice. When he breaks through and disappears, the class gets to see first hand how a rescue team works. After all the chaos dies down, two little girls from the class disappear.

Artemis Rey can't believe that the person demonstrating search and rescue is her old fla
A Klue
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Diane
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a debut novella by an up and coming writer and it's short and sweet with some harrowing nail-biting thrown in. Derek Warner and Artemis Rey used to be a couple. When things went south with that relationship, Artie married someone else they both knew and Derek dropped out of her life. Now she's divorced and still not totally over Derek. And he's never really gotten over her, either.

Derek is an Ice Rescue Diver and as part of his punishment for a pet accidentally damaging his boss' truck,
Kelly
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whoa. Who knew ice rescue diving could be so hot? Not that it's hot. Or that the rescue itself was hot. But Derek was hot. SMOKIN' HOT. Without the smoke. Wow. I'd better rein this in before I go crazy with the hot ice diver word play. RIGHT?

Anywho. Derek and Artemis. Old flames. Things went south because Derek didn't want to mess up her life. He turned his life around, she's the forgiving sort and, well, forgave him for being a douchenozzle and making decisions without talking things through. T
Heather
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Ice rescue diver Derek Warner never meant to be a hero. But when two little girls go missing, he's the first in line to bring them home-even if that means scouring the wilderness with the woman he once loved and lost, Artemis Rey.
Artemis has never stopped wanting Derek. Now, racing to find the girls before it's too late, minutes turn to hours. Night falls. Old flames rekindle. And a danger grows in the darkest wilderness that may be more than even the Search and Rescue brotherhood can hope to fa
Irene
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

What a great start to the Search and Rescue series, I really enjoyed On His Watch .

This was a quick, fun and entertaining second chance romance.
Right from the first page my interest was captured and I was entertained until the end.
Both Artemis and Derek were fun and loveable characters, I was happy to see them reconnect and rekindle their love.

I also enjoyed meeting the other characters, you can tell there's going to be some great storylines involving them, I'm especially excited to r
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Novella that kicks off a series based in Colorado that deal with all the facets of Search and Rescue - from the divers, to the firemen and law enforcement.

We start out with the Ice rescue team giving a presentation to a group of elementary school kids when one on a dare goes out on the ice and falls through and two others get lost in the mountains as a winter storm is approaching.

Along with the rescues we also get the a second chance romance between one of the rescue team and one of the teache
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. This novella was the debut effort of the author; and it wasn't bad at all. A lot of characters being thrown at the reader, and a lot of action. Seriously, a lot of action and stuff going on; maybe too much. The author threw in everything but the kitchen sink here. Not much time for the relationship building, so the author wisely made them former lovers with a history. Ruggles seems to know her stuff about Search and Rescue. At least one of the plot lines, that of the mysterious arsoni ...more
Darcy
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The beginning of this one was mess, the school talk turning quickly into a cluster situation. I thought the adults did a good job of trying to keep it together. Even being so short we got some good backstory with why Derek lusted after Artemis. Looks like they will take the second chance they have found.
  • Compromised (Alpha Ops, #5)
  • Island Peril (Aftershock, #3.5)
  • Hot as Hell (Deep Six 0.5)
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • The Shadow Walker (Inspector Nergui #1)
  • The Aura (Kate Benedict, #1)
  • Stone Cold Crazy (Lil and Boris #4)
  • Sharpshooter (Shadow Agents, #3)
  • Sworn to Protect (Red Stone Security, #11)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Malachim (Secrets and Sins, #2)
  • Exchange of Fire (SBG, #1)
  • Incriminating Evidence (Evidence, #4)
  • Romancing the Alpha: An Action-Adventure Romance Boxed Set
  • Cold in the Shadows (Cold Justice, #5)
  • Foolproof Love
  • Mercy (Beartooth, Montana, #5)
  • Love Is Always Write: Volume Nine
A fan of the old adage “write what you know”, Katie Ruggle lived in an off-grid, solar- and wind-powered house in the Rocky Mountains until her family lured her back to Minnesota. When she’s not writing, Katie rides horses, trains her three dogs, cross-country skis (badly) and travels to warm places where she can scuba dive. A graduate of the Police Academy, Katie received her ice-rescue certifica ...more
More about Katie Ruggle

Search and Rescue (4 books)
  • Hold Your Breath (Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Fan the Flames (Search and Rescue, #2)
  • Gone Too Deep (Search and Rescue, #3)
  • In Safe Hands (Search and Rescue, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cowboy Bold (Longhorn Canyon, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Love Letter
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Provocative (White Lies Duet, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“It appeared that she was attacking a new knitting hobby with more determination than skill.” 0 likes