Start by marking “The Other Sister” as Want to Read:
The Other Sister

The Other Sister

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Josey Muller's regular life--studying with her best friends, planning for the Hollidazzle dance, and gossiping about hot guys--is shaken like a snow globe when her parents drop an A-bomb: she has a sister! Pressured to give up the baby they conceived in high school, her parents are overjoyed to reunite with Audrey. Even Josey's brothers are cool with it. No longer the only ...more
Published March 8th 2007 by Flux (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Sister

oliviasbooks
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love good ya but do not miss romance when it is not on the menue.
This story told in the voice of fifteen-year-old Josey Muller, only daughter, but middle-child of a set of three, narrates the rare case of a couple who had been pushed to give up their baby for adoption, when they were still high-school-students and stayed together against all odds to start a family later on.

Josey's parents cannot believe their luck, when Audrey at the age of 25 contacts them via the adoption agency in order to get to know her birth mother and is suprised by being presented a
laaaaames
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
I should have loved this book because I am a nut for fiction about discovered family members. HUGE NUT. I have been eager to read this book since discovering its existence, so it was huuuugely disappointing not to like it.

My main problem with this book was the voice, which felt about three years younger than it was supposed to. Every time I realized Josey was supposed to be almost sixteen I had to kind of shake my head and force myself to believe it. I couldn't find much that was authentic there
Jamie Diehr
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenagers
IS A GOOD BOOK =]
Suniti Patel
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if you discovered a secret that changed your life? I've just r. ad an amazing book that’s about a girl named Josey Muller whose life changed when she discovered a new sister. The book is called "The Other Sister" which was written by Susan Thompson Underdahl. It was published in 2007 and the author, Underdahl, had wrote this book from experience. She is a practicing psychologist and has first-hand experience with birth-family reunions.

There were many quotes in this book. One q
Ian Wood
This is the complete review http://ianwoodnovellum.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-other-sister-by-st-underdahl.htmlas it appears on my blog. Any links which may be in the blog review are not reproduced here.

Note: Mild spoilers!

Susan Thompson Underdahl is a psychologist who has experienced the very story she relates in this novel, and relate she does. I don't know how much of it is fiction and how much is actual memory, but I do know this was a novel I read through from cover to cover in one sitting, a
Jennifer Wardrip
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Everyone hopes that they have a normal family with very little or no secrets among them, and for Josey Muller, it seemed like she had that life. She had a mother and father who loved her and two brothers who, although they can sometimes drive her crazy, care for her, too. But then Josey's life turns upside down when her parents tell her that her brothers aren't the only siblings that Josey has.

Josey also has a much older siste
Tan B
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed - 5/20/08

I'm always up for a good story about someone who was adopted and finds their family. But S.T. Underdahl, who was adopted and found her family, takes a different approach and tells this story from the other sibling's POV. By doing so she gives readers a chance to see how an adopted child re-entering the lives of the family they never knew effects the way siblings may feel about the new development and an effective way to deal with it. I for one would have loved to hea
Karisa
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book was surprisingly amazing! I just can't explain how good it was. Also it's kind of late at night and I can't really think that much about what I want to write... There were so many good things in this book... I loved Josie and her family; their family was dealing with interesting circumstances and it was very interesting to see how they dealt with it. I liked that the point of view was coming from Josie. It was a great book with good closure at the end. I'm glad everyone could get ...more
WCPL Teens
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: shelly-reads
Josey is a typical teenager living a typical life, until she finds out that her parents had a child when they were teenagers and had to give her up for adoption. When the child contacts Josey's mother, a reunion is planned, but Josey feels like she's been displaced. Will she learn to accept her new older sister?
Yolanda
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a serious subject but it wasn't a heavy read. The point of view of the main character, Josey, was pretty realistic. I wouldn't necessarily say that this book would by any means help someone who is going through this type of a situation, but I would say that this would be a good book for anyone who wanted to read something of a more serious nature.
Hatsune Miku
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The other sister is a great novel. The story takes place in modern day society, when a girl finds out that she has an older sister, that was given up for adoption, before she was born. And funny thing, they look just alike!!! So if you want to read a book, filled with action, and real life situations, read The other Sister, by S.T. Underdhal.
Jane Healy
Feb 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: adoption, ya-lit
Josey is the only daughter in an ordinary family. She leads an ordinary teenage life--until she learns that she has another sister, one her parents put up for adoption years before they were married. The emotional impact rings true, keeping readers wanting to know how Josey and her family copes.
Heav
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great book about a sisters reunion to her family and other siblings. I really enjoyed how the story was told and the perspective. I also like how there was also a sub plot and not just this one main plot about Audrey and Josey. Great book.
Lynne Spreen
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Young adult fiction isn't my thing but I enjoyed reading this and Underdahl's other book, Remember This. I especially enjoyed the author's sense of humor, and she does tension well. Also the pace was just right. A good read.
Michelle Truong
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Meeting a new sister..wonder what that is like.
Stephanie A.
Sweet story about family. She knows how to write a quality YA tale without being stupid and/or gross.
Kiki
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
couldnt even finish reading it
Dhwani
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
based on a true story.
Caitlyn Bianco
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book was very good. Definitely one of my favorites.
Kaitlin
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was so amazed about this story, it made me feel so amazed about the situation.
Amber Carter
Nov 06, 2014
Tracy Jacobs
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, 2013-to-read
Absolutely loved this book. Couldn't put it down. Must read.
Sabrina
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Other Sister 1 2 Mar 29, 2012 06:01PM
  • Not Like You
  • Eighth-Grade Superzero
  • The Me Nobody Knew: A Story of Triumph for All Girls (Single Titles)
  • Losing Forever
  • Burn
  • Local Girls (Island Summer, #1)
  • Dear Zoe
  • Believing (Lily Dale, #2)
  • Girl Stays in the Picture (Girl, #1)
  • The Star Shack
  • One True Theory of Love
  • Crunch Time
  • 24 Girls in 7 Days
  • The Pretty One
  • Plus
  • Roses and Bones: Myths, Tales, and Secrets
  • Revolution Is Not a Dinner Party
  • Tia in the Middle (SVH Senior Year, #45)
Full name: Susan Thompson Underdahl
Occupation: Writer, neuropsychologist, mom of six
More about S.T. Underdahl...