Start by marking “Fearless Leader (Juxtapose City 1)” as Want to Read:
Fearless Leader (Juxtapose City 1)

Fearless Leader

(Juxtapose City #1)

When a young, uptight police lieutenant comes up against a street-wise and sexually aggressive empath, sparks fly...

Lieutenant Black, an intense young man with a mysterious past and a hatred of the street drug Bliss, is the leader of the police team which frequently targets psypaths, those with psychic powers. When the beautiful and sexy empath Calyx Starr is pulled from t
Published November 2015 (first published January 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless Leader

Vishous
I am completely and utterly in love with LIEUTENANT BLACK!!!!!

description

I am in love with the story!

I am in love with all other characters!

I am in love with the world that is described!

I am in love with how f*cked up they all are!

I am simply in love with this book and I need to read sequel ASAP!
Shelley
It’s like ICoS met PsyCops they fell in love and produced a promising hot mess.

Oh the recipe is right; all the ingredients are present and correct even if they aren’t entirely fresh. It’s still enough to get me excited.
You will find a futuristic world with telepaths, sadistic manipulators, drugs, violence, men-of-mystery (note the plural), dark pasts, secrets, deceit and I could go on and on – such is the latitude of this book. There are just some things that never get stale and I’m happy with
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
Ummm. I don't know how exactly to rate this book. Did I like it? I'm not exactly sure like is the right word. You know how it is when you see a accident? You know you shouldn't look but when you do... you can't look away? I always look away. Always. But this time, I couldn't. It's like that.

There's a whole lot of bullshit to navigate and you don't know who to trust. The ones you're supposed to like are horribly flawed and the hero is broken. It's dark, gritty, morose and yet oddly compelling. T
Reflection
Ultimately disappointing because the blurb is interesting but the execution falls flat.

I picked this book up free on Amazon, I suspect the author hopes to entice readers to buy the next five books in the series, however the method of doing so is my ultimate pet hate - no resolution - and a cliff hanger it leaves me feeling cheated, irritated and unimpressed.

Frankly I do not think I have the time to waste finding out what happens next to mediocre characters.

I could possibly be tempted if I had a
Macky
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lets be honest, reviews are all based on personal opinions. So what constitutes a 5 * rating? Obviously it's going to be different for everyone.

If a book or story manages to grab me from the word go, keep me totally enthralled till the bitter end and still leave me wanting more then its worth every one of those 5 stars. - OK... it does help if its written well too!

Take all the above, apply them to ' Fearless Leader ' and "voila" another 5 * review!
Tricia Owens has done a fantastic job with the w
Rach
If you are into slightly dark m/m books this could be the book for you!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!

It was funny, dark and sexy. I loved the banter between mr Darkness himself- Black and the eccentric Calyx.

I NEED to read the next one and will do ASAP!

Thanks V for the rec mwaaaaahhhhh I love you forever hahahahaha
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, mm
4.5 stars - This book grabbed my interest pretty much right away. I really enjoy finding a book that doesn't fit neatly in any one category, and this is one of those stories.

In Juxtapose City, there are two elite police/DEA teams run by the Juxtapose City Police Department (JCPD), JCP1 and JCP2. Black is the mysterious young commander of JCP2. Sundhill is the leader of JC1. Both were appointed and are run by Captain Dickerson.

As the story begins, JCP2 are coming to grips with the loss of two te
Meep
At 20% there's nothing remotely interesting or likeable about any character and the dystopian world is poorly described. The characters who are either - not handsome, baby-faced or in one case possessing long purple tipped hair, aren't developed beyond the surface there's nothing to explain their motivation or extremes of behaviour. There's not enough information to explain the world or create an image.

The Captain is mentor one minute and tawdry despot the next. Black (no pronouns are used) is
Aviva
I couldn't care for the characters, they were boring and the MC full of manpain. And what is it with these pseudo military teams where all the members are gay (leaders of rivals teams included)? Especially when they all fuck each other or think about fucking each other and then feel a tiny drop of guilt because oh no, it's against the rules.
Oh and I really didn't like the writing, I wanted the empath to die every time he used Sweeartheart or Darkness (also they narrated every little thing they
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Wow. I just... wow.

First off, this is not a romance. There are romantic interests, i.e., everyone wants Black and he doesn't know what he wants, but no single romance that you can root for despite what the blurb says. Everyone is flawed, severely so. No one is all good, although there are people who are all bad. In fact, I couldn't stand many of the sympathetic characters at one point or another. But the people are complex and interesting and distinct individuals. My heart breaks for Black. I ju
Mindy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Feel free to ignore me. I am the only one that didn't like this book. Just wasn't my cuppa tea.
NeRdyWYRM
Supreme mindfuckery

This book is disturbing, but in an oddly good way. It is very, very dark but occasionally, I'm grateful for that. My psyche needs a good kick in the figurative balls from time to time. A warning for other readers: cliffhanger. I generally don't like cliffhangers but if I know ahead of time, I am at least able to check and see that future installments are available. In this case they are so that wasn't a hardship.

The writing is good. I didn't notice any glaring inconsistencies
Nemesis
This book took me by surprise, but in a very good way. I would describe it by dark themes and characters with mysterious pasts and plans. Calyx is such a wonderful protagonist, definitely not defined by an usual combination of characteristics. An empath, drug addict, occasionally a prostitute, flamboyant, provocative, mouthy, seductive, a survivor of the streets and of the gritty world of Juxtapose. Black (Darkness as Calyx calls him) on the other hand is controlled, dedicated to his te
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌

Fearless Leader seems to be an intriguing mix of various elements from different series I've read (and not read). It's a fast paced novel and truly lives up to that, because boy did it go by fast. I don't think I've read 207 pages quicker than I did this (which does make me doubt that figure).

In starting the novel, I admit I crinkled my nose slightly. The writing was mediocre and stilted and difficult to look past, especially since  I hadn't been given a chance to immerse myself into the sto
Samantha
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
Instant reaction: What?! No! How dare you stop right there?!

And I don't use exclamation marks that much unless I mean business.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this, but it quickly sucked me in. There were some negatives, like the number of characters that were thrown the readers way immediately, and the general need for a round or two of edits, but overall this was just damn good.

The story is set in the future and follows a team of men, led by Black (no first name, but it wo
Ayanna
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sorry, but this book has exceeded my suspense of disbelief threshold.
It started off quite intriguing. First off, I loved the blurb; it sounded like it had all those elements that I find interesting and whatnot.
It progressed weirdly, to say the least, and then somewhere along the way, it degenerated into complete Freudian everything. All of a sudden, it was all about sex all the time. Who's fucking who? Who wants to fuck who? Who's in denial about wanting to fuck who and who's going to ultimatel
Td
Very gritty world, addicting story, with questionable, phenomenal characters. Calyx and Black are going to be the death of me, I know it! Officially, hopelessly hooked on a web site here: http://juxtaposefantasy.net/.
Joseph Tonlet
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joseph by: JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Very enjoyable!
Kelly
Sep 23, 2013 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, dystopian
DNF at 46%

I had high hopes for this one, but it's not my cuppa tea.
Jax
Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star, freebie
This was chock-full of stuff I hate. For starters, the only woman mentioned in the entire book was a kidnap victim. Yes siree, these cops are 100% grade-A manmeat and, except for one 'phobe, they're all hot for each other…..because that’s the kind of book this is.

Very little of substance actually happens. Just lots of lusting, groping, suggestive convos, sex, and pissing matches. There wasn’t a likeable character in the bunch. Calyx loves to push people’s buttons and is inappropriately sexual w
Danielle
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been in such a book slump lately and then this book shows up and I'm in love again! This is definitely a book that knows how to add a little intrigue and mystery to an otherwise run of the mill cop book.

So many secrets! I loved Black and Starr, they were the complete opposite of each other and you know they're going to get together it's kinda inevitable. The waiting is the hard part.

The only real criticism I have about this one is just the plot itself. For a book that features a special f
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

The Special Forces team JC2 was created by the police to combat violence and drug crimes in Juxtapose City. Lieutenant Black, an intense young man with a mysterious past and a hatred of the drug Bliss, is the leader of the team which frequently targets psypaths, those with psychic powers. When the empath Calyx Starr is pulled from the streets and forced onto his team as part of the police captain's secret agenda, Black must deal not only with Starr's relentless attempts at seduction but
Furio
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
When an author creates a society so dystopian that not a single ray of light filters through the clouds, where criminals are vile, but the police is viler and more despicable than them, s/he runs the risk of causing a saturation of evil.
As a reader I rebel to that even when facing literary masterpieces, fiction is bound to be thrown -figuratively- to the wall.
This is why, even if writing is not bad, I never suspended disbelief, I never could like the characters -any of them-, I could never get
Frau Sorge (Yuki)
Oh, well. I really, really liked it. I'm not very fond of Starr, I like Black and his twisted, fucked-up mind.
Glad I've found myself a new, great serie.
Natalia
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
karlakolumna
Turns out I was wrong. This wasn't all that enjoyable after all. The only positive thing I can say about this book at this point is: it was free...

I've had no compassion for one of the MCs--Starr, the empath--at all. Like, I thought I'd warm up to his character at some point, but actually ended up being totally annoyed by him. Couldn't empathise--ha, the irony--with him at all. Didn't care about what happened to him.
Him being a manipulative, snappy, provocative bastard, who calls everybody "sw
Trix
Shelby
I'm not really totally sure what I think of this story. I'm not sure how quickly I would jump to reading the next book in the series. See this butts up against a couple of my pet peeves, but the world was intriguing. I HATE love triangles, especially when they're love triangles that are complicated just for the sake of being complicated. There's a lot of that going around in this story.

This is a dark world with a lot of secrets, everybody here seems to have them. Nothing is as it seems and you'r
Naiya
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd be getting an angsty story about a junkie joining a super police team, and then, over the course of the book proving that not only is he super useful, but also that he's a human being worthy of respect, love, and loyalty. (By the way, anyone have any recommendations for books with this premise?)

Spoiler, that doesn't really happen because the plot is hijacked by everyone being a jealous prick, hiding a horrible tragic past, wanting to sleep with everyone else, and/or being utterly o
Jewel
Nov 11, 2015 marked it as to-read
Free today (11/11/15) at Amazon!
  • Inherent Gifts
  • King of Dublin
  • The Suicide King Volume 2 (Fallocaust, #5)
  • Broken Ink
  • Release (Davlova, #1)
  • For Certain Values of Family (The Administration, #7)
  • Retribution (Kingdom of Ara #1)
  • One Breath, One Bullet (The Borders War, #1)
  • Xperiment
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions #2)
  • Seven (The Others Project #1)
  • Cinnamon (Blood Nation, #3)
  • November (November, #1)
I write urban fantasy, paranormal romance, m/m fiction and menage fiction, with probably more genres to come! Please visit my website and sign up for my newsletter so you'll be kept apprised of my frequent new releases:

Website: http://www.triciaowensbooks.com/

Juxtapose City (10 books)
  • In the Blink of an Eye (Juxtapose City 2)
  • The Battle for Black (Juxtapose City 3)
  • The Ultimate Team (Juxtapose City 4)
  • My Lover, My Enemy (Juxtapose City 5)
  • The Sound of Truth (Juxtapose City #6)
  • Shattered Alliance (Juxtapose City 7)
  • Exchange of Power (Juxtapose City 8)
  • Prodigal Son (Juxtapose City 9)
  • The Mind Spy (Juxtapose City #10)
“Now do you understand why I'm interested in you? You're a locked door, sweetheart. You give no one a key and you never answer the door when anyone knocks...Ah, but sometimes, sometimes I get a peek through the keyhole and what I find there...It's like glimpsing you as you're stripping. Underneath all of that darkness is something hungry, something desperate, something, oh, so deliciously vulnerable.” 48 likes
“How's your head?" the larger man asked.
"Do me a favor and cut it off," Black muttered. "It's more pain than it's worth right
now.”