Start by marking “The Storyteller's Muse” as Want to Read:
The Storyteller's Muse

The Storyteller's Muse

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  101 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Bestselling author Traci Harding moves into commercial fiction with a story of intrigue and deception. A bitter writer, an enthusiastic protege and a story that must be told.

Published January 25th 2016 by Voyager - AU

To ask other readers questions about The Storyteller's Muse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storyteller's Muse

really liked it 4.00  ·

Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
Review posted on Tea in the Treetops in February 2016:

A musician, an artist, an author and a dancer walk into an apartment… It’s a story that elderly author Penelope feels compelled to tell, and she enlists nurse and aspiring writer, Peter, to help her do just that. But when Peter begins to delve into research for the novel, the truth is so much stranger than it first seems.

The Storyteller’s Muse weaves three stories together: The main “meta” story with Penelope dictating her latest story to Pet
Kim Falconer
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Traci Harding for years. Her fantasy has always inspired me, given me new worlds to immerse in, new characters to fall in love with. The Storyteller's Muse is different - it's not epic Fantasy - but it is epic storytelling, for sure.

What I loved about it most was the rich atmosphere. I sensed every environment, costume, hair do, personality ... I was there, with the characters in one of my most beloved forms of storytelling - the parallel narrative. It's not an easy one to pul
Chris Johnson
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect when I first picked up a copy of Traci Harding's The Storyteller's Muse. Having read all of her other books first, and upon reading that Traci was heading into a different genre, I admit that I was thrown off-guard.

Traci Harding knows how to tell a good yarn, and The Storyteller's Muse is no exception. I found myself thrown into a lucid world with an amazing array of characters: a betrayed writer who has refused to write more, despite having one story fighting to bur
Dion Perry
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyteller’s muse is nothing like I have ever read before. It is centred around three characters. A highly successful writer who is now old and almost blind and living in a nursing home and, her two primary nurses: one male, the other female. The old writer knows her time is nearly up. Desperate to write one last book, she asks her male nurse Peter to transcribe her dictations into text. At the same time, she does her best to get her two nurses into a relationship with each other. The first ...more
Pollyanna Darling
Agatha Christie for psychics - another ripping yarn from Traci Harding with a dash of gender politics thrown in. Sadly, the female sidekick (who has quite a large role in the story) is a vacuous, bootlicking, pleaser who exists only to serve the needs and ends of the self-absorbed writer protagonist. That irked me!
Jan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
Gillian van der Drift
Fun story!
A Reader's Heaven

A bitter writer, an enthusiastic protege and a story that must be told.
Peter is a young nurse and aspiring author whose professional dreams have come true - a patient in his care, Penelope, needs someone to transcribe her final story. Revolving around four friends sharing an apartment where they hone their artistic and musical skills, Peter soon realises there is more to the story - another presence is lurking
Alan
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this - the idea of a supernatural muse was intriguing. I also liked the idea of a seasoned author helping out a new author with discussions about characters and plots. However, I found the characters had little depth, the dialogue wooden, and it was all a bit twee.
Rachel
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This book was really good - bit of paranormal, progressive themes and stories within stories, which I like. I would highly recommend it. (This would be a longer review if a kitten wasn’t gamboling around me - sorry not sorry.)
Trena
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very different and thourghly enjoyable Just loved it start to finish. Love the twists and quirkery characters
Kathryn Matheson
A great story, about an author writing a great story, from an author who writes great stories.
Jane
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on this one. Wooden characters and an awkward writing style.
vivian
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book and ending
Katie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly written - enjoyed every bit of the ride
Wendy Carlson
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tracie Harding doesn't disappoint. I loved this book as much as the others she has written. It was again a story I could not put down.
Tien
I am having a bit of trouble sorting of what I think about this novel. Traci Harding has been on the top of my fave Aussie author since the late ‘90s when I first discovered The Ancient Future which I've re-read many times. Most of her works are serial (she’s written a handful of trilogies) and rather more New-Age feel to them (as opposed to ghostly / gothic). The haunting premise of this novel (plus the Gorgeous Cover) is really promising a good ghost story.

The novel began quite well with an in
Jeremy Cartner
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel from the ever reliable Traci Harding has become my favourite novel of 2016. I know we're only in March and there is plenty of time for other books to take this coveted position, but I have to say it's going to have be one hell of a book to beat it. This book is a must have for aspiring writers as it examines the relationship an artist, not necessarily a writer but all creative artists, relationship with their muse. The story is absolutely captivating and the pace never lets up that wh ...more
Tarran
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Traci Harding's work. I have every single book she has written and my favourite has always been 'The Alchemists Key.' I think today, I have developed a new favourite.

The Storyteller's Muse is a refreshing book with brand new characters. I absolutely loved the character development and the comradeship between the authors.

The flow of the story just takes you and sweeps your imagination away. You are immersed in a story where you don't even know what country you are in.

Reading about Muses
Notthatcatwoman
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy received from NetGalley in exchange for honest review
OMG this book! It was just so different....
A story within a story within a story, at first I thought it would be confusing, but I was just captivated.
The writing held my attention, and even though I guessed quite a few of the 'twists' right from the start, the end one was a shocker and something I wish had been expanded on a bit more.
If you find the start of this book a bit slow and a bit dull, please hold on, because it will enthrall
Nicola
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I read a book in almost one sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Traci's characters have always sparked my imagination and I look forward to catching up on all the ones that I have missed.
Linda McCarthy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, couldn't put it down like the other reviews said would be the case, well worth a read.
Nae
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, psy
Emma McLeod
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love how it was all brought together in the end. Great read!!!
Margaret
A story within a story well told but I do not really like ghost stories
Melinda Martin-khan
Loved this book. Almost thought I knew what was happening but really it surprised me. Lovely insight into shared passion for art by artists.
Katherine
Jul 28, 2018
Megan
Jul 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Traci Harding, is an Australian science-fantasy author who currently has twelve books in publication, on the Voyager label of HaperCollins Publishers Australia.

Her work blends fantasy, fact, esoteric belief, time travel and quantum physics, into adventurous romps through history, ulternative dimensions, universes and states of consciousness.

The Ancient Future Trilogy
Book 1 -The Ancient Future 199
“What can I say, totLly hooked on Traci Hardings writing. An awesome Australian Author. Get your havs in a copy of her latest - the Storytellers Muse. And amazingly awesome read - highly recommended” 0 likes