Start by marking “Teenage Degenerate” as Want to Read:
Teenage Degenerate

Read Book

Teenage Degenerate

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  238 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In 1996, Scott was nineteen and lost in adulthood with an endless job and no future ambitions. Teenage Degenerate is his story about drug addiction, music and growing up. Over the course of ten months, he quickly descends into the dark and dangerous world of crystal methamphetamine.

Scott experiments with crystal meth in a dark, deserted parking lot in the suburbs of Denver
Paperback, 1st, 258 pages
Published January 18th 2016 (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Teenage Degenerate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teenage Degenerate

Jen from Quebec :0)
This was a great memoir of a 19 year old struggling with crystal meth addiction. Often, addiction memoirs are hit or miss, as the ppl writing them are not actual WRITERS. However, Scott Sterling could have fooled me! This book has recurring themes, a distinct voice, great character development, and is written in the format of dated entries, like a diary, adding to the immediacy of the plot.

It is 1996 in New York City. Scott is 19, and has a core group of friends but no ambition or career or coll
Tania
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

Stepped out of my comfort zone with this book. Was pleasantly surprised. I liked the raw, non-nonsense approach although at times the graphic content was a bit shocking. As a reader I felt part of Scott's journey; the harsh reality of what he was going through could be felt throughout the book. Terrifying and sad. It struck me how he lost friends along the way "it was the last time I ever saw...." What a lonely place to be and it was depicte
Michelle
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 16+, Adults, Men, Women
Wow! A must read! Drugs, sex, danger..... I was intrigued throughout the entire book!
I don't want to quote any of the book, because the build up to some of the laugh out loud moments is just too good! ....but lets just say someone snorts a Dorito chip thinking it's crystal.
Zack
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In 1996, "Teenage Degenerate"’s author Scott Sterling was nineteen and lost in adulthood with n thankless job and a future without any promise. The book is Sterling’s firsthand account of shedding his addiction to dangerous drugs as a way of growing up. His rapid decline once in the clutches of crystal methamphetamine addiction is a horror show magnified to highlight all the worst aspects.

"Up to that point, I had avoided getting meth sores or 'meth mites,' associated with meth addicts. The sores
Madilynn Jo
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense journal

I really like the way the book read as a journal. Very intense and at times exciting. Book was very well written
Crissy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the exact kind of imposingly honest, spare-no-details retelling of a teenager's foray into the world of addiction that I was hoping it would be. Sterling's style of writing and the story itself made me feel like I was talking to a friend about this experience; just save the formalities and tell it like it is. I got so caught up in the story itself that I repeatedly had to take a step back to remind myself that this is true and that it all transpired within one year of a young man's life. ...more
Laura Michelle
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing.. I recommend this book to any one who is willing to take a walk in somebody else's shoes and see what addiction is REALLY about. This book is well written and for me it is really relatable.... so many parts of this book I was like DAM ME TOO.. the book really digs deep down into the feelings an addict eventually feels when your life literally turns to shit right before your very eyes. It was spot on. I read it in a day and a half I could not put it down, I just couldn't wai ...more
Carrie
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drug-addiction
Sterling makes no apologies as he walks you through the reality of addiction. He blends his love of music into the story and, being of the same generation, his choice of music in itself tells the story. This is a rare book in a sea of addiction memoirs that stands out based on not only the style of writing, but also on the nearly perfect (is anything perfect?) editing job.
I read this in one sitting and was nodding my head in recognition for most of the book.
Nick Page
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drug-addiction, meth
Holy wow this was intense!! I have read a few addiction books/memoirs and this one ranks in the top 2 or 3. I would recommend this to anyone with an addiction, a loved one with an addiction problem or someone that loves the genre.
Destiny Jackson
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing I have to say that but the last couple of pages I didn't get but maybe it's my fault i don't understand but this book was amazing and written by an amazing author.
Jessica Wilhelmsson
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
A really important book

Every time I read one of this true stories about drug users that gone through hell and back again aka in recovery I felt so proud of them. Might sounds crazy but I have been unlucky to known a couple of addicted, really good friends that never make it back from hell. They didn't have the courage to change the things they could and the drugs sent them to death. I don't like drugs, I hate them most of all things in this world because they are such tricky things, just like th
Sara ☽
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given the book for an honest review. "Teenage Degenerate" is a roller coaster ride of emotions and events through the eyes of an addict. It was brutally honest and hard to put down. I felt every emotion as it happened. I read the book in one day. The book was incredibly interesting until it got to the end. The end was unexpected. I was kind of bummed about the ending. This book is still a great read and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Siobhan Malik
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gripping

Absolutely shockingly honest account of how quickly you can get drawn in the deepest drug addiction and the horrible truths of meth (crystal) addiction in America in the 90s
Ryan Impink
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
If books are compared to food, this book is a box of Nerds. Not very nutritional, but hard to put down. The stories at time go no where, they seem like set ups to a larger story and they just end. With that said, I could not put it down and read it in a few sittings. I hope Scott is doing ok today.
Joe Thomas
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

A very grown up, insightful and entertaining book. Very worth the read. I believe the author is pretty young but writes like he learned a few lessons.
Angi
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book by the author for an honest review and I must say I quite enjoyed this book. I loved that it was very honest he didn't try to hide what happened. He tells it like it is. I find the ending of this drug memoir quite diffrent from other drug memoirs. The ending was surprising and catches you off gard and I really enjoyed it. The story was interesting and I'm glad I read it
Tom
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this because I am from Denver and enjoy reading books based in Denver/Colorado. That being said, I normally wouldn't read an addiction/drug memoir, but I am glad I did. This is a fantastic book and I feel the author represents Denver perfectly.
Katherine
Oh god that was an intense and scary and raw memoir.
I am incredibly glad that A) I've never become addicted to any drugs and B) there (mostly) aren't people running with guns in the uk.

I'm so glad that that Scott made it out alive.
Lindsey Menschik
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book for a school literary paper about substance abuse. I liked the story a lot but thought the end was lackluster. He complained about 3/4 the way through the book that if he didn't do Cocaine he craved it and had severe withdrawal until he found another hit. But then at the end when he decides to quit he doesn't have any issues at all. I think it would have really added to the story for there to be more information about that part of the addiction/withdrawal process.
Lisa
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT story!

S.C. Sterling tells a brutally honest story about his addiction and the losses he endured as a result.
There is nothing good about drug use, and he doesn't necessarily go into graphic detail when describing the characters who use needles, but he does describe in detail those who smoke it.
I always wondered what "smack" was , and now I know that it's another name for heroine.
What I like most about this book is that he predicts what is non-drug users don't know and he explains it to us.
Danielle Urban
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Teenage Degenerate by S. C. Sterling is a powerful tale about falling into addiction and getting out of it. This nonfiction book, took me deeply into the writer's journey from the moment he got hooked until the ending. Raw, emotional, and well-told. I felt the emotions grab me with every page. Addiction is a frightening place to find oneself and then to get to a place where there's only two roads - fall deeper or climb out. Teenage Degenerate is about drugs and it's dark to read. But I highly re ...more
Angie Flom
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brutally honest and well written. Some excerpts shocked me as raw & unsettling, but completely necessary in order to relay the truth behind Scott's life and addiction during the 10 months he describes, starting at age 19.

Scott writes in a diary format starting with his first experience with meth. I became part of the story and felt as if he was a friend and watched him go through this ordeal. Because there are snapshots of days (and obviously not every single day is written about during the
Darlene
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have you ever seen those mug shots of meth addicts and wondered who they are and how they got there?

In Teenage Degenerate, Sterling accounts how meth took hold of his life - getting him into dangerous situations and crazy adventures.

Honestly, I wanted to punch the author at times because he was doing such stupid things and being a jerk to everyone around him. I struggled to maintain an objective view and just enjoy the story. I enjoyed the music references in the book. I was 16 during the time
Avery Taryn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given this book by the author for review.

Teenage Degenerate is honestly just really great. It shows true things and raw things that kind of blew my mind away. It was honestly scary yet intriguing at the same time and just woah.

It's actually kind of hard to put to words exactly what I feel about this book, but just know: it's rough, heartbreaking, and beautiful all at the same time.

(The author also has an impeccable taste in music as well, so...)
Kristyn
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I am a fan of memoirs. I have read plenty of them and I really liked the style of this one. I like how the story was told without glamorizing drugs or exaggerating the situations. If you want a real look at what addiction is like, this is a great book to read.
WhatisAshreading
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I truly appreciate how Sterling kept the story raw and honest and didn't paint himself as a victim or hero or anything of that nature. He tells us about his addiction unapologetically without all of the fluff and drama I've read from some other authors. I feel like a lot of readers will be able to connect with him regardless of their past struggles.
Tammy Downing
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from Goodreads Giveaways. A very stirring memoir of a young man who becomes addicted to crystal meth and how it destroys his health, friendships, and life. I was totally amazed by the strength of this drug to quickly capture a person's whole life.
Carol
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh...

Really the book is just a haphazard conglomeration of individual stories. There's no redemption, just a paragraph blurb on how the uthor quit cold turkey. The stories were mildly interesting but completely disjointed.
Marc M
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very well written story about addiction. Enjoyable, honest, humorous, and at times painfully poignant. The interplay of drugs, debauchery, music, and growing up is like a mix between Requiem for a Dream and Dazed N Confused. Would highly recommend.
Lynn Singleton
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Descriptive, gripping read!

I appreciated the author being real about the real deal with this addiction and the outcome of what really happens to an individual if you keep using! So happy he was one of the fortunate people to keep clean from meth!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • An American Fraud: One Lawyer's Case Against Mormonism
  • Critical Thinking: 50 Best Strategies to Think Smart and Clear, Get Logical Thinking, and Improve Your Decision Making Skills
  • Torn Between Two Masters: Encouraging Teens to Live Authentically in a Celebrity-Obsessed World
  • Wounded Hearts Heal
  • Eyes Wide Open 2015: The Year’s Best (and Worst) Movies
  • Master of Mindfulness: How to Be Your Own Superhero in Times of Stress
  • Columbarium: Condemned Souls
  • Life Change: Seven Simple Steps to Getting What You Want
  • Forsaken
  • One Breath Away: The Hiccup Girl - From Media Darling to Convicted Killer
  • Resisting the Moon (Royal Shifters #2)
  • Imaginary Things
  • Angels Landing (Cavanaugh Island, #2)
  • Business Is ART: and science, gut instinct, hard work, and a certain amount of luck
  • Koins Motel
  • The Bonded
  • Unsinkable
  • Hooked
Scott C. Sterling is originally from Portland, OR and moved to Denver, CO at the age of thirteen. He is the author of Teenage Degenerate, a memoir about drug addiction and growing up. His writing is strongly influenced by music, sports and pop-culture. He is still living in Denver currently working on his follow-up book 33% Rockstar.

Ways to connect with Scott:

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
“My main concern was my teeth because they were in constant pain. Meth depletes the body of calcium, the vitamin essential to maintaining healthy teeth. It also includes acidic ingredients that can damage teeth. The ingredients include but are not limited to battery acid: Drano, over-the-counter cold medications like Sudafed, antifreeze, engine starter fluid, and brake fluid. Basically, pop the hood of your car and you can find the ingredients you need to cook meth. I’m no dentist, but I came to the conclusion that was the root of my tooth pain.” 5 likes